Print

Author Topic: Shigeru's thoughts on the Mario movie...  (Read 13348 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
Well, it said Shigeru was involved with the pitch, so I don't think he saw the movie during production. He's right that it should work as a movie and not be a literal translation of a game. However, it shouldn't be completely different either. I never expected... *brain spark* oh, I get it. Goombas are tall because they're like mafia goombas, Big Bertha is just some big woman. But seriously, if you're going to use a name, make that character look like their videogame selves. Goombas are squatty mushrooms with fangs. Big Bertha's a fish. Bowser's a turtle/dragon thing.

For some reason, I always thought the actor for Bowser was Anthony Hopkins, not Dennis Hopper. I think Anthony would have been a better choice.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:57:47 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
Thanks for actually reading the replies in this thread.

Miyamoto was not referring to the live action movie with Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper, he's referring to an animated film that wasn't released outside of Japan at that time.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
Uhh, I thought he was referring to the live-action movie.  In the second question quoted in the original topic, Miyamoto concurs that Disney was the production company.  By the third post, Mario Maniac mentions that Disney owns Buena Vista--whose name shows up at the end of the live-action movie... Right?

Then, we started talking about sluts.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
That is correct.
Vidgmchtr is wrong.
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
Never saw it when it came out, but when I finally saw it, (around 2 years ago) I thought the movie was really bad. I like Mario very much, and his games too, but the movie, there was nothing about Mario. Nothing I tell you, NOTHING!
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
Well, it said Shigeru was involved with the pitch, so I don't think he saw the movie during production. He's right that it should work as a movie and not be a literal translation of a game. However, it shouldn't be completely different either. I never expected... *brain spark* oh, I get it. Goombas are tall because they're like mafia goombas, Big Bertha is just some big woman. But seriously, if you're going to use a name, make that character look like their videogame selves. Goombas are squatty mushrooms with fangs. Big Bertha's a fish. Bowser's a turtle/dragon thing.

For some reason, I always thought the actor for Bowser was Anthony Hopkins, not Dennis Hopper. I think Anthony would have been a better choice.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
 You know i watched this movie ( on youtube, i wasnt old enough to see it) and seriously i was thinking ''What was the director thinking!?!'' 1. Have you seen the characters? Luigi didn't even have a mustache! 2. Princess Peach should have been in the movie. I mean i grew up with my N64, so i grew up with Peach. 3. This is from my own point of view, but wouldn't anyone agree that almost the whole movie was centered around luigi? i like luigi and all but it kinda seemed like that.... Hope i made my point. : )
In one ear, out the other. All I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
I still think they should have just dubbed the anime movie into English.  Better yet, dub it with the actors from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »
That just got me thinking: How'd the movie fare in Japan? Or did it come out there at all? *shudders*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
What Mario anime? When did that come out?

actually, here's a link to the introduction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzMKxdSI7lk

Print