Print

Author Topic: Square Enix bringing back Super Mario RPG?  (Read 28679 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
Yes.
That was a joke.

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
The reason that another Super Mario RPG would be amazing is because there has only been one, and it was made a over 10 years ago. We've already had enough Paper Mario and M&L for now.

Maybe if/when they make a true sequel, they could somehow tie in all the stuff that've been in the other RPG's (except for M&LPiT. That game was a good game, but it was not a good sequel. It just seemed to fail a bit).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
The problem with Partners in Time was that it lacked that whole 'exploration' aspect that basically every single RPG is supposed to contain. You know... how you're told you need to do something in a certain place, but you need to figure out how to get there first. Partners in Time ruined it. Basically, it was just 6 or 7 identical repetitions of "Learn new move, new area opens up, go there, get magic item." Practically the entire game was Point A to Point B. It just felt... really... really confining. I absolutely did not like it, and ended up selling it. It was the first time I actually read a review of a Mario game online and thought "What the hell, that's way too high of a score!"
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I'm with you 100% there (only I've still got it). "Excessively linear" is the key term here.

Maybe if/when they make a true sequel, they could somehow tie in all the stuff that've been in the other RPG's (except for M&LPiT. That game was a good game, but it was not a good sequel. It just seemed to fail a bit).
Paper Mario & Luigi RPG!

Honestly, I'm perfectly aware that there is a now-somewhat solidified trifecta of "Mario RPGs", but all we're really doing here is dividing games by graphical/play styles. Paper Mario was originally going to be called Super Mario RPG 2, for goodness sake.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »
Speaking of Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, the whole time travel thing...well... wasn't really important (to the story?) at all. The only thing you used time travel for, is to get to new areas, and to gets the baby forms of Mario and Luigi. You may have noticed that the only place you can ever visit in the present is Peach's Castle.

Also, the time paradoxes hardly seemed to fit. (I think there was only one anyway.) When you douse the Thowmp in Elvin Gadd's House, his future self instantly gets the smarts to make the hydrogush 4 thousand-whatever-number. On the other hand, the shroobs have the castle in the past, yet they do not have it already in the future. In fact, the future does not seem to be affected at ALL by the shroobs, except for the time holes. Seems a little inconsistent.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
All in all, I think the only good thing I can say about that game, with the utmost sincerity, is that it had some awesome music.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
All in all, I think the only good thing I can say about that game, with the utmost sincerity, is that it had some awesome music.
Yeah, the graphics and music were definitely high points in that game. But it seems like Nintendo was focusing too hard on that rather than the rest of the game.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
Nintendo? Focusing on graphics?

Actually, the graphics weren't too different from the original.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
Not too different, no, but the application! I still get all awed whenever I use a Copy Flower.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
Yoko Shimomura IS and always will be the Mario RPG composer.

She is the only reason I could bare Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Here piano pieces are fantastic. That and Kairi was the only interesting character besides the Organization XIII.
Canada, eh? '87

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
On the other hand, the shroobs have the castle in the past, yet they do not have it already in the future. In fact, the future does not seem to be affected at ALL by the shroobs, except for the time holes. Seems a little inconsistent.

It was the Bros destiny to travel back in time and save the future. Hence no MuShroob Castle in the present.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print