Print

Author Topic: Wii's graphic potential realized!  (Read 4108 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
Nintendojo.com has an article (taken from IGN) about a graphics engine that has been developed exclusively for the Wii.

High Voltage's The Conduit Unveiled for Wii
4/23/2008, 11:48am Eastern Time

Chicagoland-based High Voltage Software is looking to put a charge into gamers with its recently announced The Conduit, an exclusive Nintendo Wii game.

The Conduit will be an FPS title that follows the story of a US Secret Service agent as he struggles to find the reasoning behind an extraterrestrial attack on Washington D.C. Among the features being touted for The Conduit are advanced enemy intelligence that will allow for human-like behavior, as well as an in-game item called the All Seeing Eye, which will open up new action and puzzle solving mechanics. The control scheme will apparently be something akin to that of EA's Medal of Honor: Heroes 2.

Perhaps most importantly, High Voltage will use The Conduit as its flagship title to debut its new Quantum3 graphics engine, engineered from the ground up for Nintendo Wii. Quantum3 was designed in part by High Voltage to show gamers, and developers who acquire a license to utilize the company's technology, that Wii is far more capable visually that given credit for.

"Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year," said High Voltage's Eric Nofsinger. "We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

Currently, The Conduit does not have a release date or a publisher, but High Voltage Software is looking to change both of those situations quickly.

If High Voltage can pull this off, people will no longer look at the Wii as a "dumbed down GameCube". Go to Nintendojo.com for more info.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »
Well, well, well! That's... good!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
Did you go to Nintendojo.com? They have a tech demo of the engine running in real-time on the Wii. It looks fantastic. Better than anything else currently out on the Wii.

I always knew the Wii was somewhere around Xbox 1 in terms of graphics potential. Now developers are finally realizing this!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
Old! This news debuted on IGN! And it's old now!

Also who ever said it was a "dumbed down GameCube"? That would mean that it was actually less functional than the GCN was!

!

Original Xbox? It's not like it had better graphics than the GameCube. Really.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:18:43 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
Old! This news debuted on IGN! And it's old now!

Also who ever said it was a "dumbed down GameCube"? That would mean that it was actually less functional than the GCN was!

!

Original Xbox? It's not like it had better graphics than the GameCube. Really.

I meant "GameCube1.5". Sorry for not getting my quote correct.

If you look at the Xbox game Chronicles of Riddick, you would know that game could never be done on GameCube.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »
Yeah I really don't know how you arrived at that conclusion, especially since you're posting about a company that made their own graphics engine to pump more out of the Wii where its hardware doesn't do the effects that the engine is creating. While the Xbox has a faster GPU and more RAM, that doesn't mean stuff will look better, nor does it mean that the tricks that work on an Xbox won't work on a GameCube. Anyway I think it's safe to say that the Wii has more graphics potential than the original Xbox. A lot more, if cool graphics engines keep progressing.
That was a joke.

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »
Uh, ... did you steal my thread? You DID add more info, but did you know I already had a thread up. Two days ago. And... well... that's it.
Edit: I WOULD have put more information, but the ONLY thing that I have acess to the internet is... my Wii. Also, why is this in "Mario Chat?"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:45:12 PM by Wiiario »
I really don't care much for logic.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:15:58 AM »
lol arguments about graphics
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:46 AM »
I think what this means is that a developer is actually using the Wii and some real effort to make a game (as opposed to the Wii's many shovelware titles).

Vid, you might as well say "lol arguments" for pretty much every topic on the Fungi Forums. I don't see how the subject makes it fundamentally different.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 05:15:57 AM »
I looked at a video and some screenshots. I will admit, the games uses a lot of cool effects, but that doesn't change the fact that the buildings are just huge grey blocks with windows on them.

I do hope this game gets a publisher, though. There's too many awful games on the Wii coming from third parties; I'd like to play a game that isn't from Nintendo for once. I'd also like to see how far these guys can push the Wii
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
I saw the tech demo. That's some mighty good mid-2006-quality graphics right there.
every

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »
What? Really? The graphics on the Wii are actually going to be as good as the games on the wii? I'm surprised at this.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »

Kids these days.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print