Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power VC Poll Results  (Read 56419 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
'Sessed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ebFsRCFTc
Actually, hey, he does say "for now." But he sounded pretty firm... and then tired when he says "for now."

But I do not believe that the Mario Sports or Parties have really been good for the series. Sometimes it's best to just leave it alone. I seriously don't want a thousand crappy games with EarthBound characters that only get moaning and groaning from fans. And if you want some MOTHER 3 spoilers to back me up...

MOTHER 3's plot begins in the world we know, with it being destroyed. It was the fault of humans, of course. A few people left the destroyed world to the Nowhere Islands, the only place that was not destroyed. Removing their memories of the old world, they built a small utopian community--low-tech, yes, but it was perfect in terms of society. Pokey shows up with technology, money, greed, and the islands slip into the same fate as the old world, but Lucas pulls those needles to wake up the colossal dragon who destroys the islands and makes a new, fresh world in its place. But everyone survives. What happens then? Well... I don't see a lot of room for continuation. That is, if MOTHER 4 were to have any relation to the rest of the games at all. Everything from each game has been taken care of... MOTHER 3 didn't leave any villains escaping to other time periods or anything.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
Mother 4 could be a Mother 2 1/2 - A account of the apocalypse, with the main hero making sure that a group DOES survive the end.

Spoilers of Mother 3 Backstory.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:37:44 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
'Sessed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ebFsRCFTc
Actually, hey, he does say "for now." But he sounded pretty firm... and then tired when he says "for now."
Technically right there he's actually saying "is". :P

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm still kicking myself for not having bought the real Secret of Mana game when I had the chance, though.
I'm set to e-buy that, too.

That reminds me, why can't I find the U.S. commercial anywhere? I've seen the Japanese version with the singing piranhas, but the U.S. version had this old guy speaking of Mario's adventure as a legend. And it was.
Heck, I never even thought to look for an ad for that game (those two sound pretty... interesting). Well, when in doubt, YouTube.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
Was EarthBound always in that huge box?

...wonder if Super Mario RPG is selling for $70 or so by now.
Yes, EB always came in the huge box because it was packaged with its own strategy guide.
Super Mario RPG has never been a $70 game because it is nowhere near as rare or obscure as EarthBound. It goes for about $35.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »
Even if there were plans for a Mother 4, I do not think it should happen until Nintendo in every other region stops neglecting Mother and release the dang series worldwide!!!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
Even if there were plans for a Mother 4, I do not think it should happen until Nintendo in every other region stops neglecting Mother and release the dang series worldwide!!!

QFT. Maybe they could update and release the Mother trilogy for the new DS.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »
QFT. Maybe they could update and release the Mother trilogy for the new DS.
DS, very yes.  DSi, no.  I have my reasons. Unfortunately, those resons would only encourage Nintendo to do it DSi exclusive (if they ever plan on rereleasing the Mother series at all).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
But I do not believe that the Mario Sports or Parties have really been good for the series. Sometimes it's best to just leave it alone. I seriously don't want a thousand crappy games with EarthBound characters that only get moaning and groaning from fans. And if you want some MOTHER 3 spoilers to back me up...

Spinoffs don't always have to mean party games, you know. Take the Paper Mario series - it's technically a spinoff, but it's also a very good series. Actually, the Wario and Donkey Kong series could be considered spinoffs too, as the staring characters originated in Mario games.

Also, I see your point Kojinka, but didn't Nintendo say somewhere that the new DSi games would be backward compatible? Correct me if I'm wrong - I can't remember.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »
Actually, the Wario and Donkey Kong series could be considered spinoffs too, as the staring characters originated in Mario games.
You could consider Mario a "spinoff" of Donkey Kong.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:54:03 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
Kojinka, there's no such thing as DSi exclusive. Some games might contain DSi-exclusive features, but will play on all DSes as far as I know.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2008, 10:44:46 PM »
DSWare.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
And we all know she wasn't talking about DSWare.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2008, 11:44:29 PM »
Spinoffs don't always have to mean party games, you know. Take the Paper Mario series - it's technically a spinoff, but it's also a very good series. Actually, the Wario and Donkey Kong series could be considered spinoffs too, as the staring characters originated in Mario games.

The difference... Paper Mario is an RPG series that uses characters and the style from an adventure game series. EarthBound's already an RPG, so the backward would be to make a platformer based on it? But EarthBound is all in the writing... I can only imagine a modern platformer with EarthBound's style being like a new StarTropics game (which I would love to see). Or do you propose more RPGs be made centering around other characters? Mmmmmggghhhhhhh....

I think that the series is better off as just a trilogy. Quality is better than quantity, am I right? It'd suck if Itoi tried milking his brain and ran out of good material just for the sake of putting out more games. I mean, not that he isn't Superman, but his job with the series is done. They're masterpieces and they don't have to be turned into halfhearted money machines, even if (like the Mario series) a masterpiece comes 'round every few games. I feel the same way about Harry Potter. All is said and done.

I'm sorry so many of my recent posts have been so long.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2008, 12:26:11 AM »
And we all know she wasn't talking about DSWare.
No, but there's a good chance it's what Nintendo would go with. Otherwise they'd have to spend money on it and would be expected to make at least a minimal effort to make people aware of it, neither of which they've seemed to be interested in lately when it comes to the Mother series.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print