Print

Author Topic: Mega Man 9  (Read 26604 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:49 PM »
In a "modern" game, you should expect good graphics. In a game intentionally designed to look twenty years, you're a fool if you care about the graphics at all.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2008, 11:22:42 PM »
Exactly. And doubly so if you want to try and trick yourself into thinking it looks any different on any other system for the purposes of promoting said system(s).
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 11:23:14 PM »
I'm not going to lie: I would dig new games with simple graphics, i.e. not intentionally designed to look like NES, but just sprite-based or whatever. Heck, if you're a square block but the control is good, it's a fun game. While I think good graphics are nice, I don't think it's necessary for every modern game to have them. At this point, I think graphics that leave a lot up to the imagination are actually more fun to experience because it tricks your mind into thinking that stuff looks way cooler than it actually appears on screen. Maybe this is just an effect on my imagination and other people don't react that way. Who knows?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 11:27:42 PM »
At this point, I think graphics that leave a lot up to the imagination are actually more fun to experience because it tricks your mind into thinking that stuff looks way cooler than it actually appears on screen.
Perhaps, but that's how we ended up with stuff like this:

"High-Resolution Graphics"... LOL

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
I'm not talking about concept art, if that's what you mean. I mean that my mind kind of interpolates the details into games and gives kind of the same effect as reading a book, since you automatically put in what you think is cool.

Anyway, Capcom is funny, since NES games all have the same resolution.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »
I love to read and "see" what's going on in the book, but when I look at the dragon in Adventure, all I see is a duck.

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:23 AM »
Attn reets:

1) The "graphics argument" was created by this retarded exchange:

---
General consensus is that the WiiWare version is better.
Better...how? As in, Wii does simple graphics better, or what?
Well, there's that, but a sideways Wiimote also imitates an NES controller better.
---

A) I want to see The Chef's data in support of this "general consensus"
B) Glorb's innocent question
C) Which ShadowBrian used to say the Wii "does simple graphics better". Uh, no it doesn't! Being bad at good graphics doesn't make you good at bad graphics.

2)
Exactly. And doubly so if you want to try and trick yourself into thinking it looks any different on any other system for the purposes of promoting said system(s).
It DOES look different between the systems. Obviously the graphics are the same everywhere, but the Wii only outputs images in 480p via analog component cables while 360 and PS3 use digital HDMI at up to 1080p. This means:

i) If you're playing on a cathode ray tube, Mega Man 9 will look identical between all systems.
ii) If you're playing on an HDTV, Mega Man 9 will look significantly worse on Wii due to lower resolution output and the inherent impurities of an analog signal.

3) Note that the 360 version is strictly superior to PS3 since the 360 one has achievements but the PS3 one does not have trophies.

4) Taking all this into account, the 360 version is clearly best to me. The Wii controller is better for this game, but not better enough to be worth the resolution and achievement point sacrifice. For someone who doesn't care about their gamerscore and has a bad TV or is blind, the Wii version would be the better choice.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 06:58:13 AM »
360 PS3 Wii 
1080p HDYesYesNo
Controller D-padNoYesYes
Horizontal ButtonsNoNoYes
Full Screen?No?Yes
AchievementsYesNoNo
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
The Wii version still has achievements, they just don't matter for anything besides 100% completion of the game. On an unrelated note, do they all three have DLC?

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »
All the versions have those built-in achievements. 360 uses 12 of them for its real achievements.

360 controllers have d-pads. There is quite a variety of how it feels between my four controllers, but they are all a variation of horrifically bad. So that should stay on No. :)

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Achievements shouldn't be a factor in the Xbox 360 version because all but one are pretty much impossible for the average gamer (all of you).

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
Not for Kimimaru.

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
Seconded.

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
What makes Kimimaru so special?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
He has the time to sit and play stuff 4873048 times until he's perfect.
That was a joke.

Print