Print

Author Topic: Why does everyone prefer stock?  (Read 11607 times)

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
After months of playing Brawl online, I realized that almost everyone I play with prefers stock over time. I've always wondered why this is, since I like time a lot better than stock, and I seem to be one of the only people that does.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »
Obviously, Sakurai realized the superior mode, making Time the default setting.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
After months of playing Brawl online, I realized that almost everyone I play with prefers stock over time. I've always wondered why this is, since I like time a lot better than stock, and I seem to be one of the only people that does.

I think more people prefer stock because some people kill-steal a lot. Another possibility is that stock determines who's the better player in a one-on-one match;mainly because in a timed match, KOing someone adds one point to your score and subtracts one point from the opponent's score. If one person's score is higher, then that person can just stall the rest of the match.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
I think it's because many people like to take their time to beat the crap outta people. XD
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
I like to be able to keep track of how well I'm doing.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
Think of it like this. You are in a three-player fight. You KO each of your opponents once, but then you get KO'd. Obviously, you're doing better than your opponents.

·In time, you have one point, one of your foes has zero points, and the last has negative one. You're winning.
·Stock only knows one thing: Death. One death for each player--it's a tie.
·Now, if this were a timed stock match and the fight ended right there, you go into sudden death. And you might lose.

Stock is the best way to do a one-on-one tournament-style fight: There's no advantage to running after KOing the enemy one time, and stock cuts out the possibility of sudden death. And that answers your question, Rao, 'cause that's all anyone ever thinks about. NOITEMSFINALDESTINATION. When more than two players are in the fight, it turns around, and stock is what you want if you're going to be a pansy and run the whole time. So you can wait it out until one man is left to fight.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »
I don't know about online, but I normally do time. That way, it's always the same length, and I can make a little challenge out of seeing how many KOs I can get in two minutes.

I mean, besides, once I've unlocked everything that requires playing (questionably large, albeit cumulative amounts of) Brawls, I'll probably just stop like I did with Melee. That, and I'd just like to say that, to get the 2,000 KO requirement for... a certain trophy, I did a couple matches where I cranked the stock up to fifty and just started fightin'.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »
I like to be able to keep track of how well I'm doing.
Did you ever hear about score display? You can turn that on even in online matches!
Stock is slightly more understandable in a 1v1 setting, but totally illogical when more than two players are involved, since anyone can equalize their score by KOing anyone else. Bird Person's reason for stock being superior is invalid because you should get more credit for KOing everyone else if you did it.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:15:09 AM »
Was I not clear, Chup? I said stock's only good for one-on-one, tournament-style fights.

I play three-minute matches. Only because it's the maximum length of a replay, in case I ever need to go back and get that perfect screenshot I didn't catch. Why only three minutes... At LEAST five would've been better...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »
I like timed matches because they encourage people to put caution slightly aside and have more fun. The element of suspense as to who won adds to the fun, if you ask me.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »
I like the aspect of time because it allows you to actually make a possible comeback. If you die a lot in a stock match, it's over with, but if you're down by a lot in a time match, there's always the possibility of coming back and winning.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
Well, I can definitely understand how stock mode makes one less inclined to just run around and dodge the whole time.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
I like stock because...I don't know, I just do. I find it a more appealing system than the points system used for Time matches, and killing someone enough times rather than getting kills in a set amount of time is just more fun to me. I usually play 5-stock matches when I play with my friends.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
My experience is with Melee, but should be similar.

Ever notice how sports games with a clock are never 5 minutes long? That is because a small sample size of 5 minutes cannot decide anything. For example, a football team may have its offense clicking during the first quarter but then gets outsmarted by the defense in the second and the rest of the game. In hockey, a goalie may collapse during the third period after a perfect first and second.

In Smash Brothers, a time limit of, say, two minutes is a very small sample size. That's what's nice about being untimed. It can go longer and more variables can be tested.

This is a lot like baseball. An inning can be seven pitches long or it could be 35 pitches until it ends. Likewise, it may take three minutes or a half hour to knock out someone' eight Marios. There are lots of variables--food, weapons, etc. that anyone can get.

I almost always will play stock--it's a more fair evaluation of how good a player is.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
I almost always will play stock--it's a more fair evaluation of how good a player is.
I disagree.  Some characters are better suited for timed and others stock.  e.g. some characters are weaker but faster, meaning they can easily die during a stock battle, but win in a timed battle.

Print