Print

Author Topic: Nintendo introduces Wii MotionPlus for Wii  (Read 21240 times)

« on: July 14, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »
Sounds good. I'm hoping it comes bundled with a new Zelda game.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Basically, what it is, is a little dongle that you add onto your Wiimote that will make the motion 1:1.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Not sure what all this means, but it sounds like "Sorry, we didn't make the sensor good enough the first time, buy this"
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »
How will we be able to use it when playing MKW or a Wii Zapper game? And whats the point in making this? Not like it will change anything important...

Oh and Nintendo you should have really fixed the SD card problems first before making somthing like this.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »
The clasp on the bottom seems to be for the Nunchuk. Perhaps it is suited for the Red Steel sequel, as well as giving other third-party publishers a reason for coming up with working motion controls for their games.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:43:35 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »
Uh, why would we be using it in Mario Kart Wii? Besides, I'm sure that's just prototypical. I doubt Nintendo is stupid enough to put out an attachment, then after they release it they suddenly realize OH SNAP HOW DO WE GET THE NUNCHUK INTO IT?

And yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and pass on a new Zelda game. I've never been a big fan of Zelda, and Twilight Princess absolutely killed it for me. Doesn't help that Mario Galaxy ended up as one of the greatest things ever made either.

Realistically though, doesn't anyone else see a Wii Sports 2 coming now with this add-on? Nintendo knows how to make money, and every person (read: idiot) who loved Wii Sports will pour money out at them for new Wii Sports with better control.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need to make accessories like this. They can barely keep up with demand for Wiis as it is.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »
They need to if they want to make games everyone thought they already could with the Wii Remote, apparently. I like to think that someone cares about making good games along with printing money.
As for Forest Guy, reading NE89's post just above would seem to clarify that when you actually look at the picture you can see a nunchuk port.
And I guess there's no accounting for taste, considering how fun Wii Sports and Twilight Princess are.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
...Why didn't they do this to begin with? Isn't this what we expected when Wii came out, for our motions to be reproduced on-screen 1 to 1?

While I'm hoping this will now mean that things in games follow our movements exactly (make up my own sword swipes for Link, make golf work properly), we still have to wait for new games that make use of it. And in some novel way since a new Zelda game's just not going to cut it. I don't see old games getting an upgraded treatment. Oh, just another totally necessary thing to buy... or something that will gather dust. And will this MotionPlus thing make it impossible to use with the other peripherals, meaning you can't get 1:1 movement with peripherals?

Maybe I still don't quite understand this thing. I'm waiting for them to make a Wii version of that cool controller thing that lets you really feel objects in the game. Not the Rumble Pak, but you take ahold of this ball thing, one for each hand, touch something in the game and the ball almost changes texture so that you feel a unique sensation, or you feel resistance. I forget what that's called. Geez, the original Black & White for PC was supposed to have support for a thing like that. Why can't we have controllers today that let us feel things? And then after that, maybe the 3D sight thing that that cool Wii homebrew person was showing off. Then maybe smell-o-vision or something.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:38:07 AM »
Like people kept saying for posts and posts back there, there's a port for plugging everything in on the end of the MotionPlus module!
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:18:26 AM »
I wonder if it will enhance the Nunchuk's control somehow...

I love this. Nintendo makes an improvement for an old controller that doesn't force you to buy a new controller, and the reaction is... negative.

As for Mario Kart Wii, guess you'll have to lose the wheel if you want to use it for rotation control. The Zapper, you'll have to live without it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
I'm with penguinwizard. Screw this thing, I want texture-changing balls for my controller.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »
My first guesses of how the peripheral will be used:

- Bundled w/ Wii Sports 2 or similar game
- Wii Music, for better conducting accuracy (WarioWare's conducting was simply waving it around)
- Red Steel Sequel, to enhance and solve the motion control problems present in the original
- Cooking games where your hand motions truly affect how food is prepared (cutting, stirring)
- H.A.M.M.E.R, to mimic arm swings closer (?)

My first guess for cost would be somewhere lower than the Nunchuk's cost of $20.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:21:04 AM »
No dude.

A) The Wii Zelda

or

B) Lightsaber game

It's going to be bundled with one of these.

But actually I hadn't thought about Wii Music until now. That is actually an excellent possibility considering its release schedule and that all the Wii X games have come with a peripheral. Good thinking my man.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:23:03 AM by Lizard Dude »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
Wii Sports 2 should include fencing with this thing.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Yessssss, I called it. Wii Sports 2 bundled with the new MotionPlus thing. Wii Sports Resort? Ah jeeze...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print