Print

Author Topic: Nintendo introduces Wii MotionPlus for Wii  (Read 21230 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
I wonder if the ball levels of SMG (the ones where you hold the Wiimote vertically) would have been easier with 1:1 motion sensing... I swear, it took me at least 20 tries to do the Rolling Gizmo Galaxy.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
That IS one of the special cases where 1:1 actually works already.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
So that would be a "no" on the issue of its being easier...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
I think Nintendo should forget perfecting 1:1 control and focus on 0:0 (as long as the first game to utilize it is a second-person shooter).
every

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
0:0 control... a game that uses no input and... does nothing? Sounds like a great marketing strategy.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
Well, they're halfway there in any case.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
I'm actually surprised no one's done a second-person shooter yet (that I know of).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
How in the world would that even work? Come to think of it, have there ever been any "2nd person" games? I'm tempted to say the very concept doesn't even exist, but I heard somewhere that second-person can refer to the action of something being seen through the eyes of another person not performing the action. I mean, there's games where you play as someone controlling someone else (Pikmin and Pokemon, for example), but not in... that kind of way.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »
A second-person shooter would be from the POV of the guy getting shot, but you'd still be playing as the shooter.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant, and that's also why it's impossible to make a game like that. I mean, maybe a segment of a game, but...

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »
It's not impossible. Here's a second-person shooter. But it's nearly impossible to make it playable in the long term.

You know what'd be cool, a game where some other guy tries to keep pace and keep sight of you. Maybe a game where you try to hide from the second person, there's a visual cue to indicate where you are, and you try to sneak around without being sighted by the guy.

But then I have to wonder: If you had to include visual cues and/or radar to make the game playable, people would just stare at the radar the whole time. The game could be reduced to show just the radar and it'd be just as playable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:57:00 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »
It's not impossible. Here's a second-person shooter. But it's nearly impossible to make it playable in the long term
That's what I meant by "segment of a game". I mean, once you shoot the guy who's watching you (and don't even get me started on the topic of who would be considered "you" in such an instance)... now what?

That just reminds me... the battle with Crayyk (or however you spell it) in PH was cool. That's how you'd get it to work--with some sort of DS/Wii connectivity or the DS's two screens or something.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
You know what'd be cool, a game where some other guy tries to keep pace and keep sight of you. Maybe a game where you try to hide from the second person, there's a visual cue to indicate where you are, and you try to sneak around without being sighted by the guy.

But then I have to wonder: If you had to include visual cues and/or radar to make the game playable, people would just stare at the radar the whole time. The game could be reduced to show just the radar and it'd be just as playable.

Sounds a wee bit like Siren.

This concept would be cool for multiplayer. P1 chases P2; P1 has a FP view of P2, but P2 sees through the same view and must run from P1 while staying in his/her field of vision.
every

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
Except you wouldn't know if P1 ran into a wall or tripped or something.

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2008, 03:11:07 AM »
2nd person fps? Super-shoot-at-the-screen-for-three-hours!  BEST game ever!
Huuuuurgh!  My brain hurts!
I can't keep up with plot
points this complicated!

Print