Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 104462 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »
After all, the N64 often is considered to be when Nintendo first started losing traction in the video game industry.
They lost traction because they insisted on using crappy technology (and yet they still managed to make some of the best games ever on that thing).

Yeah, Nintendo is doing a lot better now, but that's what makes people say that Nintendo is to casual.
Nintendo is to casual as peanut butter is to jelly.

But seriously, are you sure you don't mean that the other way around?

the main point I was trying to make is that the term "casualization" can't just be applied to the Wii. People have been complaining for ages now that Nintendo is a kiddy system, so this is nothing new.
"Casual" and "kiddy" are way different. Ironically, part of the reason I've been something of a Nintendo fanboy for most of my life is because their games were always really simple. I picked up Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour because I knew I'd probably never be able to wrap my head around, say, Tiger Woods PGA whatever. I got the ever-elusive DDR:Mario Mix because I'd tried DDR in the arcades and sucked hard. I think it's even more ironic that some people went off on LoZ:WW for being too easy. After all, even Miyamoto himself said he wanted to make it more for "everyone", and yet it was still an awesome game.

Not just simple, but the kiddy thing was actually always fine for me. Not only would I probably never be allowed, at least now, to play GTA4 (or what-have-you that's all over the PS3/360 these days) in my house, but I don't even really like those kind of games. I'm not "hardcore" like that, in case that's what anyone thinks. What do I want? I want what Nintendo used to be all about. What they still kind of do, but seem to be slowly moving away from: Easy-to-get, (reasonably) inoffensive games that can give me a challenge.

...I realized that video games in general aren't getting easier. Just the ones Nintendo makes.
Now here's a guy who "gets it".

Nintendo must be playing the mario party (or 2?) mini-game where you must cast your line out with the glove on the end and reel in coins.... The casual gamers represent the treasure chest with many coins while people like us, actual gamers, represent the lame, insignificant single coins in the very front.... and we only get reeled in when they accidentally miss the casual crowd and randomly latch onto us.
Obscure, yet fairly accurate analogy (but even their "core" games always have some little things "casualized" here and there. Even Brawl, in all its gaming glory, had Pity Smashes).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »
The funny thing about pity smashes is that I've only seen one used once.

And as for the topic, the worst game I've ever played has to be  Anticipation for the NES.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »
The funny thing about pity smashes is that I've only seen one used once.
Play a fifty stock match against a CPU. They'll show up, like, six times (which doesn't really make much sense, considering it's literally the game's fault if the CPU sucks).

« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
Anticipation is kind of funny and the music is constantly stuck in my head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
Just to pretty much wrap up the earlier back-and-forth, anyone who doesn't think this and this is a sign we're all screwed shouldn't be allowed to vote.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »
Anticipation is just a poor Pictionary knockoff, I won't say it's the worst, but it is pretty bad.
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »
Play a fifty stock match against a CPU.
Aaaaand why would you do that? Why would you want to do that?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »
At least Anticipation's drawings are better than Win, Lose or Draw's.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2008, 10:13:34 PM »
Aaaaand why would you do that? Why would you want to do that?
I was trying to get in those KO/so-and-so many hours of Brawling requirements.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »
But you spoke as if you do that regularly...

I do regularly have computers use pity final smashes though, in three-minute matches. Not that it helps them at all.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
But you spoke as if you do that regularly...
Play a fifty stock match against a CPU. They'll show up, like, six times (which doesn't really make much sense, considering it's literally the game's fault if the CPU sucks).
Well... no, not really (but, hey, it's your opinion).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2008, 10:45:09 PM »
No, before that. Complaining about pity final smashes that only show up six times in a fifty-stock match makes it sound like it bothers you because you play fifty-stock matches all the time.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
Ah, okay.

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2008, 12:57:30 AM »
I don't quite remember Oddjob being that short...

I think Lizard Dude meant Nick Nack.

And I'm guessing few if any recent games can compare to the awfulness of some of the games of the '80s (don't read that as meaning all '80s games were bad, because I'd be the last person to make that statement).  I'm talking broken Atari ports, senselessly difficult N.E.S. games with no save or continue features, and edutainment games that could make kids hate learning.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2008, 08:02:19 AM »
Well, videogames were pretty new back then, so everybody was making games whether they knew how to or not. That's why the DS and Wii have so many bad games--every revolution starts off rough.

Print