Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 103733 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »
Erm, the actual NES Pictionary game is much, MUCH worse than Anticipation.
~I.S.~

« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
Pictionary is somewhat interesting for gameplay, and musically/unimportantly can come down to a fierce music battle between David Wise and Tim Follin.

Also forgot that I wanted to include the boxart just because it scores Anticipation bonus points with me:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:43:47 AM by Eclipsed Moon »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
the boxart

And I thought Okami got it bad...
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »
Erm, the actual NES Pictionary game is much, MUCH worse than Anticipation.

Never actually played it.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »
A Moby Games plug on a white background... wow, that is a bad boxart.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
I love how the entire alphabet is the subtitle.

« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:39 PM »
Am I the only one to think the Anticipation boxart looks like a parody boxart that someone would Photoshop together? It looks that bad.

I'm too lazy to look through the thread; has anyone mentioned one of the Where's Waldo games? Once you know where Waldo is, you can blow through the game in five minutes since he's in the same place every time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:58:39 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2008, 12:11:57 AM »
I've played Where's Waldo? on NES and The Great Waldo Search for SNES and I'm pretty sure his place moves, at least in TGWS.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
I'm too lazy to look through the thread; has anyone mentioned one of the Where's Waldo games? Once you know where Waldo is, you can blow through the game in five minutes since he's in the same place every time.

The Irate Gamer pretty much turned me off that, even though I think he sucks. I wanna play it though to torture myself.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
"Casual" and "kiddy" are way different. Ironically, part of the reason I've been something of a Nintendo fanboy for most of my life is because their games were always really simple. I picked up Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour because I knew I'd probably never be able to wrap my head around, say, Tiger Woods PGA whatever. I got the ever-elusive DDR:Mario Mix because I'd tried DDR in the arcades and sucked hard. I think it's even more ironic that some people went off on LoZ:WW for being too easy. After all, even Miyamoto himself said he wanted to make it more for "everyone", and yet it was still an awesome game.

Not just simple, but the kiddy thing was actually always fine for me. Not only would I probably never be allowed, at least now, to play GTA4 (or what-have-you that's all over the PS3/360 these days) in my house, but I don't even really like those kind of games. I'm not "hardcore" like that, in case that's what anyone thinks. What do I want? I want what Nintendo used to be all about. What they still kind of do, but seem to be slowly moving away from: Easy-to-get, (reasonably) inoffensive games that can give me a challenge.
Now here's a guy who "gets it".
Obscure, yet fairly accurate analogy (but even their "core" games always have some little things "casualized" here and there. Even Brawl, in all its gaming glory, had Pity Smashes).

True - but therein lies the problem. A lot of the current video game players believe "casual" and "kiddy" to be the same thing. If a game doesn't have realistic graphics, complex gameplay, and a general gritty and real-life feel, then its kiddy to them. Smash Brothers is kiddy because you can't do 20 button long combos that all look different. Zelda is kiddy because there's no spoken dialogue and the characters look cartoony. And mario is kiddy because he doesn't talk like the cussing, trash talking heroes of Gears of War.

Okay, not exactly, but you get my picture. The big problem today is that the current definition of "hardcore gamer" has only recently changed from the traditional meaning. 10 years ago, if you just played tons of games and got really good at them, then you were a hardcore gamer. Today, being hardcore means only playing games that look and sound like movies, and are violent and gritty. Today, not even Megabyte, Deezer, David Dayton, or any of the other guys here would be considered hardcore by a lot of the current market. And that's just not right.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
Sorry for not having much to add, but I agree.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
Pictionary is somewhat interesting for gameplay, and musically/unimportantly can come down to a fierce music battle between David Wise and Tim Follin.

Also forgot that I wanted to include the boxart just because it scores Anticipation bonus points with me:

What are you talking about? That is the best boxart ever! Better then TP's anyway.
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »
I think I'll take this time to set you all straight while it's still kind of on-topic. Note that any use of "you" is not directed to anyone in particular.

Casual gaming: When you play newer games designed by Nintendo to be easy to play, even when you have no prior gaming experience
You play Super smash Bros. with your friends because it's fun? You play through Ocarina of Time again with no intention of getting a record time for a speedrun, and just to enjoy it again? Guess what? You're a casual gamer.

Hardcore gaming: When you play a NES.
I wouldn't say "hardcore" is appropriate for a gaming class. There are things you can do and be hardcore, like beating Classic on Intense without dying or translating MOTHER 3. Me, I guess I play Super Mario World in a hardcore manner... but you should see me play a standard first-person shooter. You are not hardcore, but some things you may do are. And I apologize for repeating myself, but you are definitely not in any position to call yourself hardcore if you think Super Mario Bros. is hard.

Pro: No items. Fox only. Final Destination.
Pro gamers play video games for money, most usually in tournaments. A game tester who gets paid for it--that's a profession, so a tester is a professional gamer.

So what do you call people who only play Nintendo's new, easy-to-understand games? I think they're called non-gamers, but considering that these games have only begun production as a sort of experiment by Nintendo, you could call them lab rats...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
You thought the casual influence was bad: now Nintendo isn't even going for humans anymore.

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:24 PM »
I think casual and hardcore-ness are (or should be) measured in the amount of time you play and amount of games you buy.
Say a casual buys one or two games each year, and plays about two hours a week, while a hardcore buys say like 1 or 2 games per month and plays them 2 or more hours a day.

That's just what I think. I have nothing to say against Bird Person's post, so I guess I somewhat agree with it. Except the lab rat part, easy to understand games are games, so they would be casual in the way I see it...

Wait, so if some middle aged nub gets brain age and tries and succeeds in getting an age of 20... is he hardcore?

Can a gamer be so hardcore that he could make a game that not even him would beat?
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Print