Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 103722 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »
I think "hardcore gaming" is signified by playing really good games that may be somewhat obscure or that not everyone has played.
Playing Guitar Hero, therefore, makes you the exact opposite of hardcore.
That was a joke.

« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
Exactly. I would add though that you also can determine how hardcore a game is by seeing how easy it is to pick up and play. The boggest franchises like Mario and Pokemon are generally casual, because they're easy to get into and appeal to a wide variety of people. More obscure franchises like Earthbound and Fire Emblem - while popular among a lot of Nintendo fans - are far more challenging and time consuming, which is why they're hardcore. There's probably not that many 10 year olds today that would find Ness and his quirky friends as appealing as a game of Mario Baseball or Mario Kart - and most probably haven't even heard of him apart from Smash Brothers.

Ironically, this would make the Metroid Prime series far more hardcore than Halo, despite a lot of fans seeing it the other way around. Despite the wonderful reviews Samus's 3D games have gotten, they still haven't sold nearly as many units as Halo. Halo is actually pretty casual compared to a lot of other series as well - online play is quick and easy to get into, and the story mode isn't the main focus. The reason why people call it hardcore stems from this silly misconception that "hardcore" means "dark, gritty, and realistic." Gamers 15 years ago would probably be laughing their controlers out of their hands if they saw the current state of the market. :P

What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »
I want to say that Earthbound is really simple, from what I played. And Pokemon has alot of hardcore potential. You think any noob can complete the pokedex, have a win streak of 100 in the battle tower, have 5 stars in his trainer card, train a party of EV trained pokemons with good IVs? Even then you can play against real opponents to further challenge your skills.
(If you dont know what IV or EV are, then I know why you think pokemon is simple.)

Now anyone and his dog and the fleas of the dog know about Earthbound, it has lost its cult and hardcore status.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
Yeah, I really wouldn't consider EB to be too hardcore, aside from that you're pretty hardcore if you actually own a copy.
That was a joke.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »
I think "hardcore gaming" is signified by playing really good games that may be somewhat obscure or that not everyone has played.

I agree with you part way because think about Mario?  Many people play Mario (probably not as much as guitar hero sadly).  We all play Mario games and we're all hardcore gamers.  Many people play WoW and thats a hardcore game.  You kinda have to look at each games 'core percentage individually.  Mario and Zelda is played alot but I look at those as some hardcore games just because of the way they play and stuff like that.  But I look at Guitar Hero and I see it as a softcore game because it just doesn't play like a hardcore game would.  You see my meaning?
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
If you are saying that hardcoreness depends in gameplay and not in popularity (or lack of it), I agree.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
You're only hardcore to me if you can beat the game of life.

Or are good at Monopoly.
every

« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
I'm a n00b!!!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »
You're only hardcore to me if you can beat the game of life.

Or are good at Monopoly.

>:D

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
WoW is not a hardcore game, and I don't really think most Mario games are either. Yes, they have good gameplay, but are also easily beaten and played by all (and so become less hardcore with each reissue). SMB2J, though, is getting into hardcore territory.
That was a joke.

« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
WoW is not a hardcore game, and I don't really think most Mario games are either. Yes, they have good gameplay, but are also easily beaten and played by all (and so become less hardcore with each reissue). SMB2J, though, is getting into hardcore territory.

Are you kidding me? SMB2J is one of the examples of "hardcore of its best". That game is flippin' hard.

« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
Its good that the SNES version has unlimited continues from the beginning of the level, not the world.
A dont know about the original, though...

« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
Its good that the SNES version has unlimited continues from the beginning of the level, not the world.
A dont know about the original, though...

Good point. I don't know if it supports the world skip trick like SMB1 though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
The SNES version fails miserably because of broken jump physics. It would be good otherwise.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »
We all play Mario games and we're all hardcore gamers.

I thought the same thing, then I started to play more games, and now I know that I was wrong. The truth isn't obvious when you're young and your peers are saying Mario is kiddy. But playing just Mario and X and Y Nintendo franchise is not hardcore. Don't play games more--play more games.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print