Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 104756 times)

« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2008, 07:52:18 AM »
I thought it became soft and mushy.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
I have no beef with casuals.  They're just in it to have fun.  I do have something of a bone to pick with Nintendo, who is just in it to make money, and decided to make games for the easier-to-please casuals than the hardcores who want their games challenging, deep, and/or competitive.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
I guess their can be.
No offense, but that should be "there" and not "their."
What's your problem, Cambodian?

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
None taken.  I'm suprised Reading didn't correct me for that though....
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »
I do have something of a bone to pick with Nintendo, who is just in it to make money...

I HIGHLY disagree with that. Nintendo continues to provide us with entertaining, fun, addictive, and memorable games. If anything, they are the least interested in making money. They put time and effort to make their games, and don't release 3-5 types of the same series on their console within a year, unlike some other companies.

About the casual and hardcore thing: I don't take any of those words into consideration when playing a game. If you want unnecessary, long and pointless cutscenes just so the creators can show off how good they are at making the graphics, then that's what I would call hardcore. People just want to play a game. This means that not long after they press Start, they will expect to be playing the game. In "casual" games, you don't need a tutorial to play, and you must figure out how to do things on your own. Examples of "casual" games are basically all of Nintendo's games: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. Examples of "hardcore" games are Final Fantasy, Suikoden, etc.

Compare the cutscene times in "casual" games to "hardcore" games. It seems like the creators in some "hardcore" games didn't know how to make the game longer, so they put in a lot of cutscenes. It is true that Nintendo games also have cutscenes. The differences are that there aren't extremely long and boring ones at the beginning of the game, most cutscenes are shorter, and the cutscenes don't include unnecessary information.

Well, that's my wrap-up of the words "casual" and "hardcore." Note that this is all my opinion, and any agreements and disagreements are very welcome.     

The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
Kimimaru, we really need more members like you around here.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »
I've decided that, divisive labels be [darn]ed, I'm just going to do what I've always done: Buy a game if I think it looks good. The fact that most of the games I think look sucky are widely denoted as "casual" can therefore be interpreted however you please.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
I am of the opinion that "hardcore" does not describe the games, but how you play them. If you spend hours perfecting your score in Peggle, you're hardcore, at least regarding Peggle. If you play Resident Evil but don't try and replay it over and over in under three hours to unlock the infinite rocket launcher, and simply play it for the game itself when you have spare time, you're casual, or at least a normal person.

That doesn't change my stance on the fact that easier, simpler, smaller games are slowly replacing larger, bigger-budget games.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
You're still wrong! Even if that is happening, pretty much only Nintendo is doing it.
Also, Kimimaru, I think you just made me your enemy.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »
I am of the opinion that "hardcore" does not describe the games, but how you play them. If you spend hours perfecting your score in Peggle, you're hardcore, at least regarding Peggle. If you play Resident Evil but don't try and replay it over and over in under three hours to unlock the infinite rocket launcher, and simply play it for the game itself when you have spare time, you're casual, or at least a normal person.

That doesn't change my stance on the fact that easier, simpler, smaller games are slowly replacing larger, bigger-budget games.
True, very true... of course, there are certain games that it's, shall we say, "easier" to be "hardcore" at, either because of the game's tone/theme, longevity, and/or variety of options.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
Well, certainly. Games like Super Mario Bros. just have less steep learning curves than games like F-ZERO.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2008, 09:17:42 PM »
Also, Kimimaru, I think you just made me your enemy.

Really? I don't want to be your enemy :(.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »
Kimimaru, we really need more members like you around here.

I think we need more members like Luigison.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »
Really? I don't want to be your enemy :(.

It's too late now. You guys will be forced to battle until the trumpets sound on Judgement Day.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #224 on: September 06, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
The worst videogame I ever played would probably have to be Ecco The Dolphin for Sega Genesis. Good thing I tried it out on the Xbox Live Arcade first.

It's such a bad game, in my opinion. You start out the game with no background or anything, and I couldn't get past the first screen. The other dolphins that you talk to don't help you at all. If you talk to one of them, the dolphin says something like, "Your eyes are like stars in the sky." That's so pointless!

Another dolphin tells you how to dash. Okay, that might be helpful, but dashing is pointless, since if you try it out on a rock blocking your path, it doesn't do anything! I doubt the demo version would give you such a small amount of space to enjoy the game. Plus, you're not usually blocked from anything in a demo version on the Xbox Live Arcade; it just usually stops you at a certain point and offers the full game.

All there is to do in the game is move around through swimming and dashing. Talking to other dolphins doesn't help, and when you talk to them, it has to make a whole new screen with their pointless text.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Print