Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 104594 times)

« Reply #225 on: September 06, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
I got around to playing Ecco the Dolphin for the first time just last night.  It seemed pretty cool although I didn't figure out a lot.  For the first screen, though, one dolphin told me to see how high I could jump, and then I did, and then it emptied the water and got rid of the rocks in the way and I could proceed.

« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »
If you can't get past the first level of Ecco, then I don't think you can really say it's a bad game. The first stage is a tutorial of sorts (granted, a very short one). Just jump high enough into the air (I know it took me a few tries before I finally understood how to get the height necessary) like Eclipsed did and then you can progress. The second and third levels are when you start to get into the swing of things.

Personally, I love Ecco the Dolphin for the unique concept, the music (Megadrive and PC versions), and the puzzles along the way. But I will say this: it's a very difficult game. I've only been able to complete it on Easy. Normal is too hard for me. Also, what ruined the Dreamcast/PS2 "Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future" was a notorious lack of helpful hints. The PS2 version made some hints less vague, but it still wasn't enough. Plus, for some reason it was very easy to get lost in that game. So maybe you're experiencing some of that not-helpful stuff in this game. I know there's a part later in the game where you have to "sing" to progress, but it isn't immediately obvious what that means. If you're playing the Megadrive/PC version, you'll see a cutscene that demonstrates it.

IGN's opinion of Ecco was that it was a game thrown out there to bide the time until the next Sonic game, but that now it doesn't have much purpose (maybe IGN thinks other games have done what it does better. Well, I don't see any other dolphin games).

I know that Ecco is very frustrating at times, but give it a chance, that first level is really short. Also, have you heard of trivial dialogue? Doesn't progress the story but is supposed to give more life to the characters? I don't think the trivial dialogue helps much here since none of the dolphins are worth remembering (certain other sea creatures are an exception because there's only one of them), but it's there nonetheless.

I wonder how many people called Myst the worst game they ever played because they didn't know what to do or how to play it. I heard the developers placed the note on the ground just to provide clueless gamers a hint on what to do, but I guess even that wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:25:26 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
I've never played Mist, and I heard it's a good game, but it sounds SO BORING. And in the DS version, it's apparantly hard to find switches.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »
I got around to playing Ecco the Dolphin for the first time just last night.  It seemed pretty cool although I didn't figure out a lot.  For the first screen, though, one dolphin told me to see how high I could jump, and then I did, and then it emptied the water and got rid of the rocks in the way and I could proceed.

I love Ecco the Dolphin

And for another bad game, Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? on Genesis. Worst Genesis title I've played to date.
Ditto used Machop!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
I've never played Mist, and I heard it's a good game, but it sounds SO BORING. And in the DS version, it's apparantly hard to find switches.

go play mario kart you NOOB
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »
Well, more acurately, prejudice.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
True. Very true.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
I just remembered how horrifyingly bad Catz for DS is. Basically, its a retarded, isometric, and bad 3-D game where you buy your cat junk that he doesn't like just so he can make annoying non-cat like sounds. Basically, the whole point of the game is to take pictures of your neighbors cats doing random junk so you can get payed. Seriously, this makes it sound like I hate cats despite they're my favorite animal. I kind of feel bad telling my sister to buy this rather than that Disney Princess game. (Which is better despite the lack of a save system ON THE FREAKIN GBA!!!)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
There are games released these days that don't have save systems? More importantly, the GBA is still getting games?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
Max needs to know about more games.
That was a joke.

« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
There are games released these days that don't have save systems? More importantly, the GBA is still getting games?

Yes and no. Yes, that game doesn't have a save system even though it was invented freakin' 23 years ago, but no the game is (I'm pretty sure) in the pre-DS era.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
Like that matters.
Anyway, cartridge games are still sometimes made without saves in order to save a tiny bit of money on batteries, RAM, or flash memory.
That was a joke.

« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2008, 08:13:30 PM »
Like that matters.
Anyway, cartridge games are still sometimes made without saves in order to save a tiny bit of money on batteries, RAM, or flash memory.

Wow, Disney must be cheap.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
*Slaps cuffs on Glitchy*         

You're under arrest for extreme obviousness.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print