Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 104617 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
Incorrect. NSMB is a 2D platformer with 3D graphics. You can only move in two dimensions, though, which makes it 2D.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
What about Super Paper Mario?

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »
RPG.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
I think when everybody here says "3-D platformer", it's assumed they're referring to the full-roaming SM64, SMS, or SMG (though, to be honest, I think SPM was more full-roaming than SMG in some cases).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #304 on: October 08, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
Well that was the idea, and why SMG is a more well-designed game than its predecessors.
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
This is why the terms 'Side-Scroller' and 'Full-Roaming' exist. But what do I know.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
I think SPM was more full-roaming than SMG in some cases.

Oh yeah, and it was great! Like that super corridor in Castle Bleck where you really had no idea where you were going! Every game should have ten of those.

Mmmm... is backtracking really that fun to you?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
I played the first few worlds of SPM and then decided I didn't like it. It was too gimmicky and un-Paper Mario.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #308 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »
Mmmm... is backtracking really that fun to you?
No, but going in more directions than forward is. And I never said SPM have more full-roamingness than SMG was a good or bad thing.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #309 on: October 08, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »
Well that was the idea, and why SMG is a more well-designed game than its predecessors.
I do not like games that are "get from point A to point B" most of the time. This is why PiT is disliked, yet liked in SMG? I'd much rather have a free roaming game like SMS or SM64.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »
PiT is an RPG, SMG is a platformer. End of discussion.

« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »
All platformers are about getting from point A to point B. Even in Mario 64 where there is more freedom (More ways to get to B), you still have to get to B.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
Yeah you can always do things wrong. There was at least one star I always got the wrong way: I always tried to land on the caged island in Whomp's Fortress using the cannon and wondered why a star on the second level was so hard to get. Never knew about the owl. I think there were some in Tiny-Huge Island I didn't do right, also.

Ultimately I think if it's like Super Mario 64 where you are given one objective at a time, it should be a little more linear like Galaxy (with some galaxies being less, like the Honeyhive and Beach Bowl Galaxies). In Zelda, there are many goals you can accomplish in no particular order and can roam around, something Twilight Princess lacked and Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were packed with. The midpoint is like Banjo-Kazooie, where the objectives are kind of unique and kind of intertwined, but you can really go at it any way you want.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I still think there needs to be a free-roaming game with full time-travel capabilities, like MM on steroids. I'm talking a full week-long timeline full of scripted events that implements the butterfly effect and the BTTF model of time travel (where you can go back and see/mess with your past self).
every

« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »
The last two pages seem to be a debate about something or another, but I'll comment on the original topic:

Two games: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Sonic 2006.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was a sidescroller for the NES that was actually based on the Saturday morning cartoon and less so than on the movie. The collision detection is the worst I've seen in a 2D game. Most of the enemies are round and tomatoes shaped but half of the time you try to jump on them the game decides that the Tomatoe hurt you, as opposed to you hurting the tomato. Which means that trying to attack your enemies is often a fast ticket to death and it makes it seem like it's better to just run...But they hop around, and turn direction, and some of them chase you. Urgh. I'm always amazed that this doesn't get brought up more often in 'terrible game' polls...I guess that most people are fortunate enough not to have experienced it.

As a kid I was very easy to please. I still am; really. It's hard to make me hate something. But I hated that game as a kid. I ended up selling it at a garage sale my family and my babysitter's was involved in. I had put $5.00 as the price tag on it but the only kid who was interested said he only had $3.00 on him, so I let him have it for that. That's also the only game I've ever sold so far.

Sonic 2006...Is probably worse than Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. AotKT, though, is only like five levels long, or so I got the impression. I only got to level three once or twice. But Sonic 2006 is a long game made even longer by horrendous load times. The depth to which things are faulty or glitchy is just amazing...I honestly think that Sonic2k6 should be studied by serious game developers so that they can avoid the pitfalls in their own projects. Some people just give up on the game a level or two in but if you keep going you find out that it just keeps getting worse and worse. *jibblie jibblie*
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Print