Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 56945 times)

« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
In my opinion... the only thing that made Brawl worth playing was it's soundtrack... (more on that later)

On the other hand, I also gladly will play the original N64 version, with it's slower reaction time, it's polygon-like character models, and simplistic fighting... personally if you ask me, the N64 version WAS Smash Bros...
I think the moral to this is that the N64 version is overall the best and really just can't be beat. I mean sure is slow as anything but it was a whole new way to look at things at the time and would surely make top 5 if not #1 on my all time list of best games ever.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »
I think the moral to this is that...

There is no such thing as a "best" game and everyone has the right to his/her own opinion.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
Well, Nintendo was revolutionary with it's first SSB title when it came into motion. Back then, most fighting games had the mentality of...

"OK, HERE WE, GO, GET READY.... GOOOOOOOOO!!!! OK, OK, CMON, GOTTA MASH THAT "A" BUTTON FASTER THAN MY OPPONENT... OOH, LOOK AT THAT MEAN COMBO MOVE... AND SWEET! A FIVE-SECOND KO! PWNED!!!"

Smash Bros. for the N64 totally changed that, though, and the only reason why we still play Melee and Brawl is for that same awesome feel that the N64 version first introduced. It's sad, really, how so many people overlook that and say, "DEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, MELEE HAS BETTER GRAPHICS, so it's betteEEERRRRRRRR!!!"

So there you have it. The game behind the mentality.

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
everyone has the right to his/her own opinion.

.. even if it is wrong.

I have a hard time picking a best game, because each one has it's own good and bad things. I am glad for those things, though, because otherwise, there would be no reason not to make another game ever again. SMB3 had its improvements over the first two SMB games, but that doesn't mean you should stop playing the first two games alltogether.

I still go back and play SSBM and even SSB64 sometimes, just becuase I like seeing what changed and what didn't (other than graphics, but that's a given..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
I still like Brawl better, and not for more superficial reasons like graphics or music. That is to say, they can add or detract a lot from a game experience, but a game can be good with or without awesome music (or awesome graphics). The only things I don't really like are how bats are impossible to use, and Wario. And no Falcon Punch.

Marth and Ike are two of the best characters so Bird Person should play as them more.
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
There is no such thing as a "best" game and everyone has the right to his/her own opinion.

.. even if it is wrong.

Opinions can never be right or wrong, though...or is this some new definition of the word 'opinion'?
AA fanboy and proud!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
Hopefully that was a joke. Also, some things simply can't be opinions. "It is my opinion that the sky is green and the sun is purple."
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
Why would I play as Marth and Ike? I've never played a Fire Emblem game and know nothing about them. I prefer to duke it out as my favorite Nintendo characters, not to duke it out as Nintendo characters I'd never seen before Melee, or in Ike's case, Brawl.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
Well, Path of Radiance is a good game. Also, I prefer to duke it out as the characters I like to play as.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »
When I play as Ness, I'm playing as the main hero of EarthBound. When I play as Yoshi, I'm playing as my favorite Mario character of all time. But when I play as Ike... I'm just playing as a Super Smash Bros. character. As much a Nintendo character to me as a Fighting Alloy.

I probably will play Fire Emblem some time though. When that time comes, I'll be able to appreciate Marth or Ike as characters (if it's a Fire Emblem starring one of them--I understand a DS remake is bringing the first game to the U.S.). But I probably won't be any better as them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »

Opinions can never be right or wrong, though...or is this some new definition of the word 'opinion'?

Sarcasm. Not everybody likes to say TM after every sarcastic thing they say.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
Show of hands: Who knew and/or cared about Fire Emblem when Melee was released?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
Am I the only person here that actually enjoyed Sub Space Emissary?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
I had a pretty good time with it, myself, although you can tell the engine isn't as suited to platformers as to fighting.
That was a joke.

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »
I also had a good time with SSE. I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Print