Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57415 times)

« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
Show of hands: Who knew and/or cared about Fire Emblem when Melee was released?
I'll be the first man to take the walk of shame:

When Melee released, I did not know of Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, or of Captain Falcon though I knew what F-Zero was. Also, I had only the vaguest pre-knowledge that something like a Pichu existed.

EDIT: I suppose I did know Captain Falcon ...because of N64 Smash. Re: Brawl: I had no prior knowledge of Lucas or Lucario or Ike.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:32:41 AM by Lizard Dude »

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
I don't know, but personally, the more you know about the characters in Smash Bros., the more fun it is. I, having been a huge Nintendo person for a long time, know background info of about 95% of everything in Smash Bros. It's also really cool when you see a stage based off of your favorite game, such as the Great Bay stage in Melee. I think the thing that makes that stage so awesome is the fact that it almost looks like you're INSIDE Majora's Mask. If you look in the background, almost everything in that stage is like the real place in Majora.

On the other hand, I have a friend who knows nothing about Nintendo, and says that "Smashville" in Brawl is a stupid and childish level. For people who have played either game of the Animal Crossing franchise, our opinions differ greatly.

« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »
I had never heard of Marth/Roy (though I liked them in SSBM), Pichu, Mewtwo, Ness or Ganondorf. I was well acquainted with Ice Climbers, G&W and some other obscure ones, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
I had never heard of Ganondorf (who soon became my best character), Marth, Roy, Ness, Captain Falcon, or Ice Climbers when I first played Melee.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
I am not particularly a fan of Animal Crossing (though I did play the first one a lot), but Smashville is a good stage, plain and simple.

Also, don't you get your gaming license revoked or something for not knowing who Ganondorf is, as late as 2001?
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
No, some nerd just flips out and comes to your house and throws you through your TV.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
I'd never heard of Ganondorf before Smash either, because I've never really been a huge Zelda fan. I guess this means I'm gaming without a license. I'm so bad it hurts.

« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »
I'd never heard of Ganondorf before Smash either, because I've never really been a huge Zelda fan. I guess this means I'm gaming without a license. I'm so bad it hurts.

Ditto. Same goes for Pokemon and Metroid, though I'd heard of a few major characters from all three series.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
I didn't know about Mario when I got Melee.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
I didn't know about Mario when I got Melee.
Glitchy
Sad joke
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »
I think the only characters I didn't know when Melee came out were Marth and Roy. Ice Climbers... I might have vaguely known them.

Marth/Roy were also extraordinarily stupid characters to include as they were basically clones of eachother, none of those games had ever come out in the States, and when they did... didn't Roy not exist and Marth had a different name? Also, it must have taken tremendous balls to think Americans desperately wanted to play as Fire Emblem characters in Melee but refuse to release Mother-related games as much as possible.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
Marth was put in by popular demand in Japan, and Roy to promote the next game to come (Melee was actually his debut). At least, that's what I think I read some time back somewhere.

I was still in a little capsule a while after Melee. The only characters in Melee who I knew from games I'd already played by then were the Mario characters, the Pokémon, and Mr. Game & Watch. That's pretty bad.

When I realized how bad that was I played some Kirby and Zelda, played Ice Climber, and then Brawl was announced. Between that time and Brawl's release, I played EarthBound, the entire WarioWare series except MPG, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Afterward I got into F-ZERO and SolidShroom gifted me Star Fox 64. I've yet to play Pikmin,  Fire Emblem, and a good Sonic game, and haven't played a lot of Kid Icarus or Donkey Kong Country... but I have, somewhere along the line.

That was all partially my fault and partially not. When I was a kid, my parents didn't just buy me any game if they weren't sure I'd like it. And I wouldn't either. I rarely had/have enough money for that... But I regret that. I should've rented more games. Yeah... I play more than just what's in Brawl though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
Marth was put in by popular demand in Japan, and Roy to promote the next game to come (Melee was actually his debut). At least, that's what I think I read some time back somewhere.

That's a partial truth; the Fire Emblem characters were always going to be in Melee in Japan, but were due to be removed from the American/European/whatever release; however, they were reincluded in those versions thanks to popular demand.

And yeah, it is a bit weird that a character's debut in a series is in a separate crossover series showing off Nintendo's famous characters. >_>
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
Roy and Marth were definitely planned to be included in Japan's SSBM, and were only kept in the US version by popular demand. Personally, I think they are two of the better characters. ShadowBrain (or Brian?) is also correct in that Roy's debut was in Melee. I guess the game must not have taken off, as he was removed from Brawl (albeit he has an unused model in the game's code).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Taken off? It was one game in the Fire Emblem series which regularly features different sets of characters.
That was a joke.

Print