Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57416 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
When I first played SSB64 (I was most likely 11 or 12), the only franchises in there I had heard of were Mario, Pokemon, and (vaguely) Kirby.

I hadn't heard of the Game & Watch handhelds, Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem, Earthbound (because I used to play my cousin's copy of SSB64, which never had Ness unlocked), or Falco (Not much of a Star Fox gamer) until Melee.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
Is it sad that the Ice Climber and Fire Emblem characters were the only characters in Melee that I didn't recognize at the time of it's release? I even found out who they were pretty quickly after the game's details were revealed en masse.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
Not really. Not knowing/caring about FE is understandable, though.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
Well, aside from those, I knew who every character in Melee was at the time it was revealed. Being an avid NP subscriber helped.

Sqrt2

« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2008, 02:25:51 AM »
I never knew about the Mother series until SSB, and the same with Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, the Game & Watch series and Ice Climber until I got Melee.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:03 PM »
When I first played SSBM (which was my first smash game), I only knew the Mario series, the DK series, the Pokemon series (sort of, the Pokemon they used are (or were) pretty popular so it wasn't hard for you know not to hear about them). And maybe I knew about Kirby.

Edit: I knew about F-Zero, but not Captain Falcon, because I only played the original then.

Also, how I found about each series that I didn't know:

Star Fox - Dunno, really.
Captain Falcon - When I randomly, one day got F-Zero GX on VC, it started by obsession.
LOZ - Randomly got the first LOZ on the VC one day. Eventually got every other game except MM.
Metriod - Besides the general facts, I still have not played or owned a Metriod game. Unless you count the MPH demo.
Fire Emblem - Dunno.
Earthbound - I still haven't plaid it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:51:40 PM by Glitchy »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »
F-Zero for SNES explicitly had Captain Falcon. The Blue Falcon is one of the machines and the manual and comic book make clear that Captain Falcon is driving it. It also has Samurai Goroh, Pico, and Dr. Stewart.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
randomly

Randomly

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGH
every

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
I think you should be more concerned about:
Earthbound - I still haven't plaid it.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »
I striped it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »
Stripes are so last century. I polka-dotted it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »
"When I play as Ness, I'm playing as the main hero of EarthBound. When I play as Yoshi, I'm playing as my favorite Mario character of all time. But when I play as Ike... I'm just playing as a Super Smash Bros. character. As much a Nintendo character to me as a Fighting Alloy."

So.... basically, it's like the same awkwardness as having anime-lookin' chracters in Mario Golf/Tennis/etc. ....just like I'm playing as Mario, I'm controlling a hero... I play as Plum or Charlie......eh... wait, WHO?

(hate using the quote system when i wanna quote something from a few pages ago. cant read all the posts first that way.)
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »
You could Cut the quote and Paste it after you've read through.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
This thread should be a poll
"it's always the present"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
True, but it's eleven pages in and has sort of morphed into the "How Naive I Was About Nintendo Characters Pre-Melee" thread.

Print