Print

Author Topic: Warp's Weekly Shmup  (Read 21453 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
Hey, Chup, think if I could get TEM to mail you that three dollars I won in his drawing contest ages ago, you could mail me a copy of NES Gyruss? I don't know how much shipping would be on an NES cartridge, but...

I just realized that we can't add polls to existing threads on this forum software, so: Which should I write on next week, Zero Wing or a Flash attack involving Robot Dinosaurs Who Shoot Beams When They Roar and Upgrade Complete?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
The second one. Zero Wing is actually kind of boring to play.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
(I've played and finished all three of the games I mentioned there at some point or another.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 04:19:52 PM »
If we have a copy in stock right now, sure (we probably do).
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
That reminds me, I don't think TEM ever gave me my money.

Actually, I know he didn't, but I felt like phrasing it in a less direct way so as not to sound confrontational.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »
omg tem are a cheapskate
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Two days left for voting!

Some shmup (semi-)news:

Play-Asia has restocked Ketsui Death Label, which I'll be covering in a future week. Yes, that's almost $95 (after shipping) for a DS game. No, I didn't pay that for it, nor do I expect you guys to do so. Like Soma Bringer, this is a case where piracy is the logical choice unless you're a serious collector (by which I mean the kind of collector who buys arcade boards).

Cave recently announced that the Xbox 360 version of Mushihime-sama Futari will not be region-locked. This will be the first time a region-exclusive retail title on the Xbox 360 is fully import-friendly. They are also looking into potentially bringing some of their games to download services in the West, which would be kicked off with a US XBLA release of Guwange (already going to hit Japanese XBLA, so anyone who wants to make a Japanese Silver account can go ahead and buy it on there when it comes out).

Apparently the 360 version of Raiden IV came out in the US less than a month ago!

EDIT: You guys should all pay at least a dollar for Bullet Candy Perfect.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:19:12 AM by WarpRattler »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »
Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar
Tom Brien
PC (Flash)
One player only
Kongregate link

Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar is the most EXTREME single-level Flash shmup ever. Players choose either Tyrannosaurus X or Dinomite, the titular robot dinosaurs that shoot beams when they roar. Tyrannosaurus X shoots a straight red beam, while Dinomite uses a wavy blue beam; there is no gameplay difference. The game is controlled with the mouse, and is a straightforward horizontal-scrolling shmup. What you're really playing this for, though, isn't the gameplay, but rather the roars. Every time you click to fire, your dinosaur lets out a roar (to be the catalyst for the beam, of course). These vary from a deafening blast to a pitiful groan.

Robot Dinosaurs is a gag game, to be sure, but it's a very successful one, and very DINO-TASTIC!. Be sure to stick around after the credits.

Upgrade Complete
Armor Games
PC (Flash)
One player only
Kongregate link

You must buy this review.
YES (You must upgrade your decision-making power to choose NO.)

Upgrade Complete is a Flash shmup in the spirit of the acclaimed Achievement Unlocked. Instead of being a statement about the achievement-riddled games so many people love to play (myself included), though, it's about purchasing upgrades. Everything can be bought and/or upgraded. Upgrade the graphics. Buy the audio. Buy the mute button for said audio. Buy weapons for your ship and upgrade those weapons. Buy the preloader so you can actually play the game. Buy the credits. Buy the achievements menu.

The main game is a rudimentary keyboard-controlled vertical shmup in which every enemy must be destroyed to advance to the next wave. Obviously, though, the only reason to play the game itself is to get money so you can upgrade more stuff, right?

Unfortunately, this game's message isn't as effective as that of Achievement Unlocked for two reasons. One, it tells you bluntly, "maybe you should worry more about whether you're having fun playing the game than if the upgrades are cool," which kind of defeats the purpose of building a game around a mechanic to spoof said mechanic. Two, upgrades aren't as much a problem as achievements. Obviously upgrades are overdone and old hat - whether they're purchased upgrades, as in Tyrian or Space Siege, or discovered upgrades, as in Metroid or most arcade shmups - but they're not a scourge on video games the way some people think achievements are.

Still, Upgrade Complete is a pretty fun little timewaster.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
Zero Wing
Toaplan
Arcade (MAME-compatible)/Megadrive (Europe/Japan only)
1-2 players (alternating)

Yeah, Zero Wing...this is about the arcade version, so no memes here. Unfortunately for the game, the memes are the most memorable part - the rest is a forgettable horizontal shmup that completely steals many of its ideas from other horizontal shmups and doesn't even do that right. The one thing it has going for it - the tractor beam - is useless in most situations and even a hindrance if used in some sections.

Now, you've got power-up items. Speed-up (standard), a bomb that sits on the front of your ship to be fired with the tractor beam button, and red, blue, and green weapons. When you first grab one of those color-coded weapon items, you get two bullet-absorbing, enemy-damaging, weapon-firing options above and below your ZIG fighter. But once you start comparing the three weapons, things start to look bad. The red weapon (a wide shot-type gun after being upgraded) does not fire if you hold down the attack button. This means that to use the red weapon, you must either tap the button furiously or use autofire (the latter is recommended if you do attempt to play this game). The same applies for the green weapon (homing missiles which do fire if you hold down the button, but not as fast as if you tap or use autofire). On the other hand, the blue weapon (a straight laser) inexplicably fires more quickly if you hold down the attack button than if you tap.

Here's something else about the red weapon:

Notice the shot pattern here? Typically a wide-shot weapon doesn't leave the center completely open like that, and typically upgrades activate for the ship as well as the options. (The blue and green upgrades affect the ship as well.)

This game is also more likely to induce epileptic fits than other shmups - the screen flashes red upon destroying an enemy, and you'll be destroying a lot of enemies if you play Zero Wing. If they don't destroy you, of course. Three things:

1. There's a reason other shmups have bullets that are aimed at the player, not at where the player is going to be or where the player is being forced to move by way of being stuck in a small tunnel and being pushed forward by the auto-scrolling.
2. There's a reason other shmups don't have bullets that move faster than the player can dodge them.
3. There's a reason other shmups don't have enemies shooting at you immediately after you respawn.

Due to some uninformed programming choices, Zero Wing is one of the biggest cases of completely unfair difficulty I've seen in some time. Having to constantly restart from a checkpoint with no power-ups and enemies blasting you immediately is just not fun, and that's why I can't recommend this game to anyone but the most morbidly curious wanting to see what exactly "ALL YOUR BASE" came from.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
Kingdom Hearts II
Square Enix
PlayStation 2
One player only

Why am I writing about an action RPG in my shmup column? Because it contains a fully-functional and well-made shmup, of course! Gummi ships, a feature of Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II, are the main characters' only means of travel between worlds. In Kingdom Hearts, gummi ship flights felt like a chore. In Kingdom Hearts II, the gummi ship system was redesigned and expanded into something that was interesting and fun - and extensive enough that it could've been its own game.

Before a mission, the player can customize the ship. Many options are present here. A player can build a ship from scratch (using parts found by flying missions, in treasure chests throughout the game, and acquired in other ways), which limits the ship to a certain complexity and number of parts (which goes up as the player progresses through the game), or use a blueprint (player-made or premade; many premade blueprints include parts the player does not have and cannot be edited). Basic ship parts increase the ship's hit points (as with the main game, it uses a health bar system) and its hitbox. The game contains several weapons systems, including projectile weapons (standard shots, wide shots, and lasers) named after the standard Final Fantasy magic types, and Radiant Silvergun-style swords named after...swords. Other ship parts grant abilities (such as Scan, which does the same as in the main game; there are also abilities not granted by parts that can be turned on or off just like abilities in the main game), increase defense (shields and similar), give the ship a barrier (also shields), or grant extra speed and maneuverability (wheel parts and such). Later on, the player can also design "Teeny Ships," which act like options (not Gradius-style options, which would properly be called "multiples," but Battle Garegga-style options).

Flying a mission is reminiscent of StarFox and other third-person behind-the-ship view 3D shooters. The player blasts away flying Heartless while collecting bonus ship parts and medals to increase score. (Yes, there's an actual score system!) There are three types of missions: medal missions (go for medal level thirty!), enemy missions (kill anything that moves!), and score missions (get points!), each with its own ranking system and rewards. The medal system is somewhat different from that of traditional shoot-'em-ups; your medal rank starts dropping if you don't continue to collect medals (at lower levels, you must collect them by flying into them; with the Treasure Magnet ability at higher levels, they will automatically be collected). At medal level 30, the ship goes into "Berserk" mode, becoming greatly powerful and gaining full item collection ability while it lasts. Berserk mode, incidentally, cannot usually activate until shortly before the end of the mission, though there is a gummi part that can be equipped to put the ship into permanent Berserk mode at the cost of having a maximum of one life.

While I can't recommend Kingdom Hearts II for the convoluted story or much of the main game (riddled with quick-time events and lending too much of a hand to poor players even on the maximum difficulty - problems thankfully remedied in the DS prequel), I can definitely recommend it for an excellent shoot-'em-up that Square Enix would have done well to expand into its own game. If it didn't have the Kingdom Hearts name attached, it'd likely be ranked up there with Einhänder as one of the company's great forays into an unfamiliar genre.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »
Nothing good you said about the Gummi ship parts counts because they are CRAP. The only good parts are designing ships like The Penetrator.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 04:18:09 PM »
Please state clearly in words why you think the only worthwhile part of a well-designed and heavily-customizable space combat system is building flying penes.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
Well, okay, the flying parts themselves are actually pretty good, and certainly better than the rest of the whole game. Building the ships is massively massively fun, though. I seriously can't begin to describe how disproportionate my ship-building time was to actually playing KH2. And what's truly awesome is how said flying penes can, with careful planning, be truly devastating in combat.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
I can definitely agree with that - flying missions is great, but the shipbuilding is more immersive than anything else in the game, and if gummi ships were to be a separate game the shipbuilding would need to be emphasized.

Print