Print

Author Topic: Why Pokémon Sucks (And What Won't Be Done To Fix It)  (Read 63902 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 06:51:58 PM »
*cue sentence by sentence breakdown of my post to explain everything he disagrees with*
There WERE only two sentences, so...
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
TV Tropes and its userbase are a blight on this earth.

And I don't troll.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
This Troper disagrees.  TV Tropes is an excellent site for bringing the elements found in creative works under one roof.  Its community is amiable and practices good grammar (a rarity on the Internet, but you knew that), and it can entertain you for hours on end (although if you have better things to do, that might make it a love-hate relationship).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
You're biased. I don't need a Web site to tell me about the things I read, watch, and play. Its community is supposedly incredibly easy to be banned from and many of its members use terms from the site elsewhere (and, as seen earlier in this thread, sometimes use them to try to sound smart without actually having any idea what they're talking about) and make themselves look retarded, and spoilers are the opposite of entertainment.

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
The site's jargon is what irks me the most. Finding an article on a specific trope is almost impossible without knowing its TVTropes name beforehand (MacGuffin, Narm, nightmare fuel, etc...). Also, the community is cliquey to the point where several articles resemble forum discussions in their own right. That all being said, it's still often interesting.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
For me, part of the fun of TV Tropes is seeing if I can guess the definition of a Trope/what a Trope refers to from the context and its name.  If not, I've got enough time on my hands for now that I can afford to read up on whatever piques my curiosity.  Maybe the fact that I have more time to burn on this sort of thing than the average high school student is the reason I don't mind the abundant jargon.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
While the topic is still derailing full force, I really don't mind TV Tropes.

To respond to WarpRattler's post, I don't understand why you seem to be so defensive: "I don't need a site to tell me what's what" is what you're saying, in essence, which leads me to believe that you're basically saying you're "too good" for the site. To me, reading about tropes can be quite interesting like "The Computer is Cheating *******", for example. It's funny because I can relate to it and say, "Haha, yep, I know how that goes", and read about other instances of the specific trope outside of the games/shows/movies I experienced it from originally.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
I generally hate TV Tropes' usage of all their invented terms. I don't hate the concept of the site necessarily although I find much of it exceedingly unnecessary.
That was a joke.

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 02:29:24 AM »
For some reason I enjoy the terms, they seem to make sense. Besides, there's another way to find tropes. Type in the name of whatever it is you saw (movie, game, whatever) that has the trope you want to find, then glance through the big list until you find something that looks like what you recall. I mean, it's still a shot in the dark, but you might find it.

One trope I couldn't find for the life of me was the tendency for certain cartoon characters to have what looks like a bite taken out of one ear (Ronno from Bambi II, Furball from Tiny Toon Adventures). So I went to the "Lost and Found" page of TV Tropes and asked about it ("registration" simply means picking a screenname. No password or anything needed). Someone replied that it was the Fashionable Asymmetry page I was thinking of. And I went there, and indeed that fits the description... it has Tidus from FFX on it.

Pokeymans!
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
TV Tropes sucks more than main-series Pokémon games, and nothing can really be done to fix it.

And Trainman, it's that last part there that really describes one of the biggest problems with the site:
read about other instances of the specific trope outside of the games/shows/movies I experienced it from originally.
Spoilers (even when you don't know it's really a spoiler) are horrible. I don't need to go further than Heavy Rain or Harry Potter to show that spoiling something on purpose serves no purpose aside from ruining people's experiences, and that's what the site does. And don't try to bring up the spoiler tags - for many tropes, just knowing that something exists within a certain work is spoilers enough.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:47 AM »
Personally, spoilers do nothing for me, because I hate surprises, fictional or otherwise.  If I know what's coming before I read/watch/play something I enjoy it more. 

And suppose you're never going to enjoy a creative work anyway, for whatever reason.  TV Tropes gives you some semblance of knowing what it's all about (like with me and the upcoming Birth by Sleep, which I'll have no way of playing).  In fact, you could easily find out about a highly enjoyable work you never would've heard of before had you not gone to TV Tropes.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
I don't want to read TV Tropes for the same reason I don't really want to know how a magician does his tricks or the scientific explanation for love (which I did fully discover, per an English assignment, the other day): There are just certain things you're better off not knowing if you want to enjoy certain aspects of life.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2010, 02:20:25 AM »
TV Tropes sucks more than main-series Pokémon games, and nothing can really be done to fix it.

That made me laugh.

But I must agree with Warp. TvTropes is a total waste when its basically boiling everything down to cliches, and about half the entries are snarky, back and forths with members of the site. Oh, and don't better going to entries about attraction or fetishes or whatever, those pages are creepier than anything I've ever read.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »
Really, Mr. Wiggles, haven't you read the home page?

"On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means 'stereotyped and trite.' In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:56:37 AM by Turtlekid1 »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Except that isn't what "cliché" means.
That was a joke.

Print