Print

Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 (Appreciation topic) - The first FPS game I've ever played  (Read 6838 times)

« on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
GoldenEye 007 for the Nintendo 64, based on the 1995 James Bond film of the same name, is what I would call the first-person shooter console game that I've ever gave a crap about in my life. It was also the first FPS game I've played. To be honest, I've never played another FPS game after GoldenEye (except perhaps playing a little of Perfect Dark for N64, the spiritual sequel to GoldenEye, but I'll get to that later). Mostly because I don't have the console for the FPS game that I'm interested in playing (speaking about Halo and Half-Life, iirc both for the Xbox brand, I hear those are awesome), and/or that the video game market is so flooded with the "me-too" FPS games that I'd stop caring about them entirely (Not quite sure if that last part made sense).

But, at least to me, there's something about GoldenEye that stands out from many games. For some reason, at least for me, it actually made sense to put Bond into a first-person perspective of the player, run around blowing and shooting crap up and causing complete chaos and utter mayhem while completing your assigned objectives mostly based on sequences from the film.

I had a blast in some of the levels, especially the ones where you have to save Natalya several times from the enemies, my most favorite of all is the Train level, where you inside one and you get to shoot the living shuck out of the soldiers while hiding behind the wooden crates and -- I swear I was/am intrigued at how much destruction you can cause in this particular level with explosive weapon cheats on -- raising hell from start to finish.

At the end of the train level, you encounter Natalya taken hostage by Alec Trevelyan's henchman, and you are confronted with a deadly, yet easy decision: Stop for the mission, or Natalya dies. Some of you would probably just do both them and you a favor and shoot the dumb broad for all the stupid mission failures that resulted from her deaths of stupidity (and sometimes hilarity) just cause she got in you gun's way or for running into an explosion or crossfire. But in order to advance, you had to save her, and that was mandatory. So you shoot the henchman (Ourumov), and if you're good enough, shoot both that witch in the black clothing (Xenia) and that stiff-ass Brit (Alec) for their [bundle of sticks]gotry against the British government. Once you free Natalya, the doors suddenly become sealed, trapping you inside the room and now that ******* has placed a bomb inside the train which will be set off in one minute (Three/six minutes in the film). At this point, I've felt a sense of pressure and anxiety, and my only hope to escape was though a square hole in the floor. With your handy laser watch, you cut though the hole and escape with Natalya, and watch the train go boom.

Speaking of going boom, I think this game made me a BIG fan of explosions in media. I swear, with a Grenade Launcher, I'm a shuck terrorist (as in, I love blowing stuff up). B) But of course, don't take me the wrong way, I'm not psycho or anything. I just love dealing damage to enemies in games with flash and booms, and with GoldenEye, you can place explosives underneath unsuspecting (indifferent? O_o ) soldiers and watch 'em go. This piece sums up my lust toward destruction in the game.

Going back to what GoldenEye might have that many games even today don't. I think it's its style. One example of this is the death animation. When you get yo' ass capped enough and die, you see this "spilling blood" animation that covers the screen from the top, and a Bond-like theme plays during that animation. I really thought, "if Bond has to go, he shows it in style". Another is some of the character animation, whenever you coming out of a hole or a corridor, you sometimes see enemies jump out and twist their torso and point and aim their gun at you with there other arm moved out. This may be "meh" today, but back then it was both cool and amazing, especially when you consider how realistic the animation was at the time.

And last but not least, the music. OH GOD THE MUSIC. Timeless. Beautiful. The soundtrack is something I could actually dance to. My absolute favorite is the Surface theme (first visit). I swear that theme... that theme has this ambiance that makes it so sexy and epic. I'm actually considering mashing that beat with something, but I've got nothing yet. This soundtrack is god on the N64. It beat Zelda:Oot, yes you heard me right.  :fappery:

All in all, this isn't/wasn't some licensed piece of crap you find at bargain-bins at a god[darn] North American Wal-Mart for $10 a pop. This is, and I'm sure many will agree, actually one of the best, or THE best, console FPS video game of the 1990's, and one that helped popularize the first-person shooter genre on the consoles. Truly one of the most remarkable games on the N64 and possibly the best licensed title of the fifth generation of video games, this is a game I enjoyed dearly back in the day.

And after years of not officially owning an N64 until just recently, I've decided to take the time to create my seventh PEMNAS series around this game, which has brought me nostalgic joy and great memories. Hope you enjoy.  B) Also, PEMNAS = PLEASE EXCUSE MY NOOB ASS SKILLS. I invented the term myself.

Here's the playlist to see the series in 19 parts (23 videos):
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=410EDC341774011F

Or just pick one:
(Part 1) Opening Intro + First Stage: Mission 1: Dam
(Part 2) Second Stage: Mission 1: Facility
(Part 3) Third Stage: Mission 1: Runway
(Part 4) Forth Stage: Mission 2: Surface Act 1
(Part 5) Fifth Stage: Mission 2: Bunker
(Part 6) Sixth Stage: Mission 3: Silo
(Part 7) Seventh Stage: Mission 4: Frigate
(Part 8 ) Eighth Stage: Mission 5: Surface Act 2
(Part 9.0) Ninth Stage 1st Half: Mission 5: Bunker Act 2
(Part 9.5) Ninth Stage 2nd Half: Mission 5: Bunker Act 2
(Part 10) Tenth Stage: Mission 6: Statue Park
(Part 11) Eleventh Stage: Mission 6: Military Archives
(Part 12) Twelfth Stage: Mission 6: Streets of St. Petersburg
(Part 13) Thirteenth Stage: Mission 6: Depot
(Part 14) Fourteenth Stage: Mission 6: Train
(Part 15.0) - Vs. Xenia - Fifteenth Stage: Mission 7: Jungle
(Part 15.5) Sneaking In - Fifteenth Stage: Mission 7: Jungle
(Part 16.0) Clearing Out - Sixteenth Stage: Mission 7: Control
(Part 16.5) Hacking the GoldenEye - Sixteenth Stage: Mission 7: Control
(Part 17.0) 1st Half - Seventeenth Stage: Mission 7: Caverns
(Part 17.5) 2nd Half - Seventeenth Stage: Mission 7: Caverns
(Part 18 ) Vs. Alec - Eighteenth Stage: Mission 7: Cradle
(Part 19 / THE END?) Ending + Credits - Making Out: 64-Bit Style

So would you all agree that GoldenEye is awesome and that it influenced video games in more ways then one? Note that you are not limited to this question.

DISCUSS.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:18:35 PM by Keiji Dragon »

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
I wish I had a .gif of an office chair exploding.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »
This certainly influenced someone, anyway.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:48:38 PM »
I had nicknames for a lot of the guns.

ZMG - Ziggy
Deutsch - Duchess
RCP90 - R2C3PO
Deutsch w/ Silencer - Silencer
Sniper Rifle - Snipper
Sniper Rifle Slapper - Smacker
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »
This certainly influenced someone, anyway.
I'm sorry, I clicked on this related video that's related to that fad.

I too want a .gif of an exploding chair. Why do none exist? Rule #9421! If there's a meme, a .GIF exists of it! Come on!
You didn't say wot wot.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »
For the past two days, I've been trying to think of another Goldeneye Explosive that was far more ridiculous than the exploding chair.

So far...
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
What about the tables (especially the wooden tables). They have absolutely nothing explosive in them (while the chair could have the cylinder like that link I posted above.... although it wouldn't catch on fire).

Hell, I dunno. Little balls of fire showing up every time you shoot up anything that can be moved around with gunfire is basically hilarious. I like how the tables, etc. degrade every time you shoot them and they slowly turn into random black lines and polygons floating in the air.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 01:02:03 AM »
After a quick scout, I shot what appeared to be a model car in the level "Surface"

I died in an impressive inferno.

Granted, it was on a WOODEN TABLE and had a MODEL MOTORCYCLE right next to it. There probably was a office chair nearby too.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 01:38:02 AM »
Maybe they pack C4 in literally everything.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »
2x Grenade Launcher
Invincibility Mode
Infinite Ammo
Surface

That's my recipe for a "Blastin" good time. Sending those guards flying in an explosive rage!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »
Hmm...

-Turbo Mode
-Invincibility
-Silo

Blow up your plastique and bomb through the level as the explosions follow you and everyone dies in your wake.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 01:33:16 AM »
I always wondered why the explosions never stopped. I was too young to realize the rockets that were in those silos where giant explosives.

The fact the Silo level wasn't based on an event in the movie really didn't help that either.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
I appreciate that thread for showing me this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llza5PYsp-k

Print