Print

Author Topic: Why You JRPG-Lovers Suck  (Read 22322 times)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »
I'm not really going to bother reading all of the article or most of this thread.
Not fully digesting the source material of the discussion because you THINK it's against your personal opinion yet still entering said discussion is not intelligent.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 12:32:34 AM »
It does disagree with my opinion that there's nothing wrong with RPGs.
That was a joke.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 12:47:40 AM »
Judging from this GameLife preview, Final Fantasy XIII's gonna test the notion of just how much you love linear RPGs that are more movie than game. It's like it's giving Metal Gear Solid's movie-to-game ratio a run for it's money.

I doubt it's as linear as the preview says because, well, I find it hard to believe Square's that stupid. But then I think back and remember that Final Fantasy X was pretty linear too. Sure the areas would twist and turn and climb and dip in every possible way, but for the most part you were going forward. Going backwards was never an option because Tidus ran too slow and sometimes you couldn't go back to previous areas. So who knows.

...man I wish Metal Gear Solid 4 really did have a 90-minute cutscene just so the multiple jokes would become even more hilarious by being true. I never got to see any of the famously long cutscenes, but when I played Metal Gear Solid for GameCube, I decided to sit through some bonus feature briefing which gave background story on Snake's mission. Afterwards I looked at my watch and was in disbelief that a half-hour had gone by.

...why is one of the TL;DR images a blue deer? What does a blue deer have to do with it?
...oh. Teal Deer. It's what tl;dr sounds like if you pronounce it literally as two words.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:59:52 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 01:22:08 AM »
I didn't think that was really what "linear" meant at all. I thought that had more to do with the storyline
Anyway, I've heard that FFXIII goes off in all different directions about midway through and everyone gets different parts of story to play and such and you know I'll be buying it and a HDTV day 1.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 12:16:29 AM »
I more or less took this article to heart in real life context.

Haha, am I the only one to find this brilliant?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
If you're talking about the same Trials I think you're talking about, WarpRattler, then ugh. Super hard on higher difficulties. Almost impossible.
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »
Haha, am I the only one to find [Black Mage's image] brilliant?
Of course not. I just wanted to avoid posting in this thread again after Chupperson came in and ruined it like he does every thread on the subject.

If you're talking about the same Trials I think you're talking about, WarpRattler, then ugh. Super hard on higher difficulties. Almost impossible.
Which is part of the fun. Games like Trials and TrackMania are great examples of "mastery-based" games. They require practice and an impressive mastery of the intricacies of the control schemes and physics, and you won't get through levels playing half-heartedly like you would many JRPGs.

Final Fantasy XIII is so linear that the notably-Square Enix-biased Famitsu cited its ridiculous linearity as their reason for not giving it a perfect score. Were it not against the forum rules, I would link to the Sankaku Complex article showing an image of the in-game maps for the first six hours of the game (if you want to see it, look up the article about the game being as linear as a piece of string).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »
I thought links were only prohibited on this forum if they were advertisements and/or "hai LoL chek my websight out. itz about mehrio"

I would like to see this linear map, btw. Also, to add on to Trials, I love the difficulty. I love tilty bike games and I downloaded Trials HD on XBLA. Great fun. The physics laid out in the Flash game series remains intact on the Arcade effort's game. Very nice to play.

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »
image of the in-game maps for the first six hours of the game

You weren't kidding! If you squint really hard, it vaguely resembles an unravelled colon.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 10:24:10 PM »
(Trainman, I'd be banned for linking to SanCom because of the site's content, not for the act of linking to another site.)

I wasn't particularly interested in Final Fantasy XIII in the first place, but it's certainly not going to do anything like convincing me to buy a current-gen console at the rate things have been going.

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 11:33:10 PM »
Wow. I need to look at maps of Final Fantasy X then. While the world map suggests it's at least a little open, I distinctly remember having to go straight forward almost everywhere. So I'd like to see an FFX map that looks similar to that one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:36:09 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »
It is too bad, because FFXII was just about a masterpiece of being able to go wherever, and now apparently you have this.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »
(Trainman, I'd be banned for linking to SanCom because of the site's content, not for the act of linking to another site.)

Aha, I see.

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print