Print

Author Topic: Silver Surfer  (Read 5563 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »

I've known about this game for a long time because of its music, which is really really awesome.
I tried to play the game emulated a long time ago but I was not equal to the challenge.

This game is really, really, really really really really really hard. However, it is also perfectly fair even if it doesn't realize that the Silver Surfer is a pretty dang powerful guy.
You die in one hit as the Surfer gets knocked off his surfboard. Even though the losing a life screen is

At least everything is programmed well, and it's only your fault if you run into something. You can't run into walls either.

Anyway, you should all find and play this game. I picked it up for real when I found a copy at work and I have been playing it a lot, and it's quite possible to get good at it after a lot of practice.
All you people who are not whiny babies should play it now. It's fun. It's challenging. It has an awesome awesome Tim Follin soundtrack. Play it.
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
I was going to quote the AVGN but why beat a dead horse with a stick?

Likewise, playing the game emulated is something I've never been able to do. I never found a clean rom and what I found on streaming sites always eventually get garbled up in graphics. The music is great though.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
A buddy of mine had this game (and was a huge Silver Surfer fan) when I was in grade school. The sheer amount of frustrating hours I've put into this thing is off the charts.

That said, I look back on it fondly and perhaps someday I will sit down and play through it.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:31 AM »
I had an emulation of it...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »
I was wondering why Chupperson was discussing this game, it having been covered by the AVGN as stated earlier. But then I realized that he was saying it was a good game and that we should be manly and man up to the difficulty.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
I once found out a friend & co-worker had this game once. When I told him I'd buy it from him, he said he got rid of it a long time ago... Foolish people, getting rid of things that could be worth a lot in the future...
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
I don't think outdated technology gets valuable until it gets REALLY old. Like one thousand years old. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
Baghdad Batteries?

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
Deezer?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
I don't think outdated technology gets valuable until it gets REALLY old. Like one thousand years old. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
Yeah, 90-something bucks I used to have begs to differ.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »
I tried emulating Silver Surfer. I died within ten seconds. I turned it off.

It seems like what keeps getting pounded into our heads is "the old games were harder". If you thought Star Fox 64 was too easy (and it was), go play Star Fox for SNES. If you want a challenge... uh, go play any NES game that AVGN has reviewed (remember when he was playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and he spent half a minute just trying to get into a small opening to snag pizza). Or play Ninja Gaiden.

Hey, if you have fond memories of it, more power to you. If anyone wants to take up the manly challenge, go for it (there was that one website listing various video game challenges, and for the Silver Surfer challenge, the goal was to simply complete one stage). But me, I prefer games where I feel I'm actually making progress and getting better rather than dying repeatedly until I get a perfect run.

And I know EarthBound's the go-to game for "obscure diamond-in-the-rough", but yeah, it's still a good game today. The amount of level grinding you do is almost unbearable, but it's enjoyable. Even if Super Mario RPG gives you the fun faster and harder.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
I don't care what you guys say, the trick to Silver Surfer is knowing when to be where and what to shoot. This takes a lot of dying but eventually you know how to get it right.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »
You can't run into walls
The Firelord's stage (in which you can die in two seconds by running into a wall) and others would beg to differ.

And walls in vertically-scrolling shmup stages are something that are just better off not done (look at other vert shmups that have them, and then look at how few of those actually have them implemented well), and are just one example of poor design present in this game. Others are the normal enemies that take multiple hits to kill without you being able to fire quickly enough to actually kill them, the overly-unforgiving power-up and checkpoint system (which would almost be fine if it was just in the horizontal levels, since that's a staple of level design there, but it's just inexcusable in the vertical levels, particularly since Toaplan shmups had checkpoints with recovery patterns years before this game was made), hitboxes larger than the player (retroactive tip for game designers, and this goes for all games: don't make the hitbox encompass the whole rectangle of a sprite just to make it encompass the whole character or ship), and the player ship being five times as long as it is wide in the vertical levels (which, along with a lot of this other stuff, shows that the Silver Surfer doesn't work in a vert shmup).

And the music may be good, but I can go play something like Shikigami no Shiro II (which coincidentally is one of the few vert shmups with well-implemented walls) or Darius Gaiden and have fun to go along with my great soundtrack. (I'd use Space Invaders Extreme 2 and Battle Garegga as examples, but I talk about those all the time, and variety is the spice of life.)

And if I'm going to play a shmup that requires nothing but rote memorization of stage layouts, it's going to be R-TYPE, not some poorly-designed licensed NES game.

Print