Print

Author Topic: Final Fantasy suggestions  (Read 8781 times)

« on: April 28, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
Having thoroughly enjoyed the DS remakes of Final Fantasy III and IV, I've been hoping to delve deeper into Square Enix's legendary series. Could anyone provide suggestions as to which FF title(s) I should try next? My only stipulation is that all recommendations must be available on Nintendo consoles, seeing as I only own Nintendo systems.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »
Well, I guess I would then recommend V and VI.

(That was easy.)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »
You're limiting yourself, but the next logical steps would be Final Fantasy V Advance and Final Fantasy VI Advance.

Final Fantasy VI is much more critically acclaimed, and is an amazing game. I also thoroughly enjoy Final Fantasy V, so you really can't go wrong with either. (Especially the GBA localization of FFV, so good.)

Final Fantasy I is also a lot of fun, but I wouldn't recommend playing the watered down "Dawn of Souls" version available on the GBA. I know it's not on a Nintendo system, but if you can get ahold of it, the Final Fantasy Origins edition really is the definitive version of Final Fantasy I. I'd actually rather play the original NES version than the Dawn of Souls version, but that's probably just blind nostalgia (read: I do not like the Dawn of Souls version).

Final Fantasy II (Also available in the Dawn of Souls collection and not nearly as neutered) is good, but probably the last one I'd recommend of the NES/SNES generation. It has a radically different leveling system, that's novel, but usually just winds up being abused.

I love Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX/PSP), but I don't particularly share that love with the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance spin offs. But if you'd really like to play one, or just want to play a SRPG/TRPG, I enjoyed FFTA2 more than the first.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
You're limiting yourself

I'm still equally interested in other games; I'm just looking for a surely enjoyable RPG.

As suggested, I'll probably scrounge around online for V and VI next. It goes without saying that a DS remake of V will be announced the moment I buy the Advance version, but whatever. The Tactics series has never appealed to me, though, as I've never been partial to tactical RPGs in general.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »
I love love love Final Fantasy V (especially with the awesome awesome GBA localization, like Black Mage said). I love the job system, I love the music, the story's okay.
I still need to get around to finishing VI, which is also quite awesome.

Also Weegee he means you're limiting yourself by only playing the ones on Nintendo.

P.S. If you're looking for a surely enjoyable RPG, be sure to play the best one (Chrono Trigger).
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
The Tactics series has never appealed to me, though, as I've never been partial to tactical RPGs in general.
What ones have you played?

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »
be sure to play the best one (Chrono Trigger).

Got it. 'Tis an excellent game indeed. I wouldn't call it the best, but it certainly ranks up there.

What ones have you played?

Admittedly very little; mainly just Wal-Mart demos. However, I've had more experience with the related genre known as "Those Age of Empires Ripoffs That My Cousin Enjoys Way Too Much".

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
What? What does that mean? RTS games?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »
Every Final Fantasy game on Nintendo systems (seriously, dude, just buy a PS2) worth playing has already been covered, so I'm afraid I can't do much there. There are quite a few excellent RPGs that haven't been mentioned, though, and I highly advise you to check some of them out. I'll just list a handful (all for the DS) to start, and describe them if you want to know more:

The World Ends With You
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Etrian Odyssey
The Dark Spire
Space Invaders Extreme 2
* Not an RPG. See me after class, Kenneth.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:05 AM »
What? What does that mean? RTS games?

I sincerely hope not.

You shouldn't confuse Tactical/Strategy RPGs with RTS games Weegee. Especially seeing as how awesome Fire Emblem is and you shouldn't simply recognize it as "That series represented in Smash Bros by a femme-boy and cardboard wall".
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Every Final Fantasy game on Nintendo systems (seriously, dude, just buy a PS2) worth playing has already been covered
Playing through the original Crystal Chronicles with 4-players is a real hoot, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. And all the sequels are significantly lesser games. My Life as a Darklord was pretty cool, but a totally different thing, and single-player only. I guess I haven't tried The Crystal Bearers yet.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
Hey, there's Mystic Quest too. It's very simple but I have a soft spot for it! (It hit me during the time in life when I was most receptive to JRPGs.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »
Crystal Bearers is actually pretty cool, although Wiimote controls could be better. Boy is it pretty for a Wii game though.
Also, I don't care how many times Warp disses it; I love Revenant Wings. But I'd say play XII first.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
As Lizard said, V and VI (though I think V is DS only, and I believe VI is on the Wii Virtual Console).

Final Fantasy Adventure was on Gameboy, but it was really Seiken Densetsu with the "Final Fantasy" name tacked on to make people buy it. Seiken Densetsu is also known as the Mana series. It might not be Final Fantasy, but I recommend checking it out. Preferably Secret of Mana (SNES, it's on the Virtual Console too), which is the best of the bunch. Second recommendation would be the Japan-only Seiken Densetsu 3. The first game in the series was redone on GBA as Sword of Mana.

Secret of Mana feels very different from Final Fantasy, and it may take a while to get used to the odd battle system (and I tend to think boss battles are horribly broken given how you can abuse magic late in the game), but it really is a treasure. And if you like THAT, also think about trying out Secret of Evermore. Some people like it, some hate it, but it has the same control scheme as Secret of Mana.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
V and VI were both remade for the GBA; neither have been released for DS.

I bought Mana on the Virtual Console a year ago. Quite fun. I'd certainly go for Evermore if it ever makes its way onto VC.

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
While I'll give it a go, I've heard nothing but bad about it.

Also, what did you end up playing? For the record, Final Fantasy IV was remade for the DS. It's not a bad version, but is pretty different from standard FFIV (which you haven't played anyway).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:09:41 PM by Black Mage »

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Nintendo Power seemed pretty positive about The 4 Heroes of Light, but that's a given. It seems like everyone is *****ing about its old-school mechanics, which I happen to love. Its seemingly-simplistic storyline, angst-free hero, classic Job system and focus on strong melodies over fancy arrangements are all major selling points for me. I'm not crazy about the graphics, but otherwise the game looks promising from my perspective.

Also, what did you end up playing?
]

As mentioned in the first post, the only FF games I own are the remakes of III and IV. I haven't gotten anything else since then.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
Oh, that's my bad for not re-reading your opening post. That explains why I did not recommend FFIV DS in my original reply.

Anyway, go play FFV Advance of FFVI Advance as we suggested earlier. And if what you said about your taste in games just now is true, you really ought to investigate Dragon Quest IV and V. Sounds like a perfect match. They also have the benefit of being absolutely amazing RPGs.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »
Dragon Quest V get. It's good, although the save system is a nuisance.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
seemingly-simplistic storyline
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Dark Spire
angst-free hero
classic Job system
the stuff that Black Mage already suggested, plus Dragon Quest IX and The Dark Spire
focus on strong melodies over fancy arrangements

Incidentally, all of those are perfect reasons to not suggest The World Ends With You to you, which is sad because I'd still say it's one of the best RPGs available on the DS despite its complex (sometimes overbearingly so) storyline, angst-ridden hero (though in his case it's at least justifiable, given that he's an ordinary teenager), nonstandard JRPG mechanics, and musical focus on remixes of a handful of (quite enjoyable) J-pop, J-rock, and J-rap tracks.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »
Warp, do you really think real teenagers act like that? The kid from TWEWY was a whiny, stuck-up little punkass ***** and I hated him from the start until the end. He's clearly a 40-year-old translator's interpretation of a 40-year-old Japanese writer's opinion of what real teenagers act like.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
a whiny, stuck-up little punkass *****
You just described my brother.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:34 AM »
I would recommend you that you get yourself a Playstation and the game Final Fantasy VIII. That is one of the best Final Fantasy games out there besides FFX. you can try them both if you like.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
I really really hate the kid from The World Ends With You.
every

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
I would recommend you that you get yourself a Playstation and the game Final Fantasy VIII. That is one of the best Final Fantasy games out there besides FFX. you can try them both if you like.

I am just curious, but what Final Fantasy games have you played?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
Weegee have you played V and VI yet? VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, so I strongly recommend it. But seriously, get a PS2.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
Not yet, no. They're both high on my to-get list, though.

On a related note, I hate whoever suggested Dragon Quest to me. I've been playing Hand of the Heavenly Bride for nearly ten hours per day since getting it.

Regarding Warp's recommendations: I'll... look into them.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
V was my favorite but I think XII is actually my favorite now.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
Weegee, I'd say go ahead and get The Dark Spire if you happen to see a copy at your local game store, but see if you can find a way to try Strange Journey before you buy it. The Dark Spire is pretty cheap now (I got my copy for four bucks) and is a fun Wizardry-type JRPG, but while I think Strange Journey is excellent in almost every regard, certain aspects of it may turn you off.

As for Dragon Quest IX, see if you can get some friends to buy it so you can all spend ten hours a day playing co-op quests.

And, seriously, buy a PS2. Not just for RPGs, but also for everything else.

Print