Print

Author Topic: How would you wrap up the Mario series?  (Read 13378 times)

« on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
If the brass of Nintendo decided to end it all, and gave you creative control, what would you like to see in the last game that sends off the Super Mario Brothers once and for all? Would anybody die? Would new villains be introduced or would you bring back old ones? Would it be set somewhere different?

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
A big bang would happen and simultaneously kill everyone, but the universe would start over, beginning immediatley before the events of the last game. Things wouldn't go exactly the same as they did during the intro sequences though..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
A big bang would happen and simultaneously kill everyone, but the universe would start over, beginning immediatley before the events of the last game. Things wouldn't go exactly the same as they did during the intro sequences though..
So, you'd make SMG?  /s
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
I'd cancel the last game and get to work on a new game in the Star Fox series (20 years from now, when we have the technology to voice-chat to the Star Fox teammates and have them respond intelligently).

There's been enough Mario games in several different genres, and several "perfect" Mario games that anything new would be judged against. The other franchises need some love too, you know. Maybe I'd make a new Bubble Bobble. It's gotta be drop-dead easy to make a new game in that series that doesn't suck. Give it online play and randomly-generated levels, keep the graphics the same because ANY change is sacrilicious, and you're good to go.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »
Yes. Yes I would. That way, if someone wanted to pick it up again after a number of years, they could start it up however since the characters didn't really die.

Seriously, I think SMG is the closest to a perfect Mario game as it can get. The only thing lacking is a true two player mode, but New SMBW makes up for that. Kinda.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
Long post time: tl;dr readers please read the last paragraph (although, if you don't wanna take the time to read this, you suck big ones because there's a lot of thought-provoking material in the following).

I'd make a story and definitive setting for Mario. While I can understand people saying they like their Mario games to be single adventures focused on gameplay, for me, I like to see past all that. When I play a game, I wonder about where I am in Mario's world in relation to locations in past games. I wonder about the inner workings of the kingdom (the block university researching ? and ! blocks' peculiar properties in Superstar Saga was really awesome... just wish it went into more depth) and a ton of other stuff. I wish things in the Mario universe existed for a purpose rather than just existing solely for either providing a backdrop for where you're at or an obstacle for Mario.

I wish Mario had the same story depth and awesome consistency as, say, the Pokemon series. I really enjoy its detailed maps that ties in all the regions together (Kanto, Johto, etc.). I wanna know where World 1-1 from SMB is in relation to, say, Toad Highlands golf course, or whether you can see Isle Delfino from Vista Hill. If you look through a telescope, can you see Star Road? I love large, open world places. I like being able to see things in the distance knowing that I can go to them.

GTA IV and GTA: San Andreas are both good examples of great feeling and use of depth. I also really loved being able to see all the different levels in Sunshine from Delfino Plaza. I loved going to the veeeery top of the enormous palm trees at Pianta Village and looking around the island. Going on top of the ferris wheel at Pinna Park and looking around was also pretty awesome. Now, that is the kind of consistency I like. You could see how all the levels tied in; they weren't just super-isolated places.

Mario's lands, however, are usually always tightly focused and feel claustrophobic. They're typically archipelagian settings (Mario World, Mario RPG, etc.), or "in-close-proximity-to-the-shore" settings (Paper Mario... and.... well, lots of games). Also, that's usually the setting... if we get a large enough map screen in the first place, that is. While isolated areas are kinda not my thing, it'd be cool if there was at least some correlation between all the lands we've seen in Mario games.

I love gaining insight to things in games. Pokemon is another great example. It explains the story behind quite a few things, such as how Pokeballs were first manufactured, the etymology of the word "pokeball" and what Pokemon were called before the invention of the pokeball. I also like how there are legitimate businesses based off Pokemon that produce Pokemon products, such as Silph Co. and Devon Corporation. That, for example, makes me think what businesses are in Mushroom City because there are sure a lot of skyscrapers on that race track in Double Dash. I like how despite having a strange premise which deals with hoards of magical creatures that are caught and trained, etc., the Pokemon world is a normal, functioning, realistic, and coherent world and not just a zany, down-the-rabbit-hole type world.

I'd want to tie every loose end up ever, give shoutouts to characters long forgotten, and make an attempt at illustrating the geography of the Mushroom Kingdom. I'd make an open world Mario game with vast scope and I'd have Mario talk. I'd probably do a billion other cool things, but I've burned myself out talking about all this stuff, so I'll leave it at this.
Formerly quite reasonable.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
The first thing I'd like to mention is that if I had to give the Mario franchise a proper send-off, I'd make a massive hardware-straining game that incorporates references, locations, items, characters, enemies and who-knows-what else from every Mario game ever made. It would have a graphical style somewhere between SMG and SSBB and the plot would be about Bowser gathering up an army consisting of all of Mario's previous villains in an attempt to get revenge for how-ever-many years of failure. Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Toad and Wario would be playable. The world would be completely open-ended and feature even the most obscure locations such as Sub-Con and Mario Land. Mario would finally be able to use every power-up he's ever had access to in full 3D. Characters like Pauline and Wanda from Mario & Wario would have cameo appearances. This game would likely never get made, but the Mario franchise would likely not end any time soon.

I'd make a story and definitive setting for Mario. While I can understand people saying they like their Mario games to be single adventures focused on gameplay, for me, I like to see past all that. When I play a game, I wonder about where I am in Mario's world in relation to locations in past games. I wonder about the inner workings of the kingdom (the block university researching ? and ! blocks' peculiar properties in Superstar Saga was really awesome... just wish it went into more depth) and a ton of other stuff. I wish things in the Mario universe existed for a purpose rather than just existing solely for either providing a backdrop for where you're at or an obstacle for Mario.

The funniest thing about all the world-building and depth the RPGs maintain is that it's all done in jest. Things like that block university always came off as an affectionate spoof of continuity hogging, and in Mario's world, that's probably the perfect way to go about it.

I wish Mario had the same story depth and awesome consistency as, say, the Pokemon series. I really enjoy its detailed maps that ties in all the regions together (Kanto, Johto, etc.). I wanna know where World 1-1 from SMB is in relation to, say, Toad Highlands golf course, or whether you can see Isle Delfino from Vista Hill. If you look through a telescope, can you see Star Road? I love large, open world places. I like being able to see things in the distance knowing that I can go to them.

The geography is never consistent simply for the sake of gameplay. However, it's not like they never refer to previous areas in newer games. Dry Dry Desert is implied to be the same place as Kalamari Desert (both are called "Kara Kara Desert" in Japan) and even features the same (or at least a similar) choo-choo train. The opening stage of SMG2 is a recreation of the first stage of SMB1. That's about all the consistency I need.

GTA IV and GTA: San Andreas are both good examples of great feeling and use of depth. I also really loved being able to see all the different levels in Sunshine from Delfino Plaza. I loved going to the veeeery top of the enormous palm trees at Pianta Village and looking around the island. Going on top of the ferris wheel at Pinna Park and looking around was also pretty awesome. Now, that is the kind of consistency I like. You could see how all the levels tied in; they weren't just super-isolated places.

Mario's lands, however, are usually always tightly focused and feel claustrophobic. They're typically archipelagian settings (Mario World, Mario RPG, etc.), or "in-close-proximity-to-the-shore" settings (Paper Mario... and.... well, lots of games). Also, that's usually the setting... if we get a large enough map screen in the first place, that is. While isolated areas are kinda not my thing, it'd be cool if there was at least some correlation between all the lands we've seen in Mario games.

SMS was pretty much the only mainline Mario game to do such a thing. The RPGs also usually do that but they're kinda limited by RPG-style perspectives and geometries (M&L is from an overhead perspective and everything is all block-shaped). Super Mario Galaxy doesn't have to worry about this because it's set in outer space amidst a bunch of lost satellites.

I love gaining insight to things in games. Pokemon is another great example. It explains the story behind quite a few things, such as how Pokeballs were first manufactured, the etymology of the word "pokeball" and what Pokemon were called before the invention of the pokeball. I also like how there are legitimate businesses based off Pokemon that produce Pokemon products, such as Silph Co. and Devon Corporation. That, for example, makes me think what businesses are in Mushroom City because there are sure a lot of skyscrapers on that race track in Double Dash. I like how despite having a strange premise which deals with hoards of magical creatures that are caught and trained, etc., the Pokemon world is a normal, functioning, realistic, and coherent world and not just a zany, down-the-rabbit-hole type world.

SMG basically answered the question of how Mario's world was made. The RPGs have loads of explanation behind various inner-workings, even if those are mostly self-contained within the areas those games take place in. Still, it's really that hard to imagine for oneself how the Mushroom Kingdom works based on it's appearance in SMRPG and PM1. I always though Mushroom  City was their Manhattan, and the businesses that exist there could be found simply by looking into the background or what-have-you (remember the Wiggler bus or the Goomba chocolate truck?)

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »
I'd hand over all creative control to Shigeru Miyamoto and tell him to give the series proper justice.

Honestly, my ideas would be utterly stupid and fanboyish, plus I'd rather let the guy who started it all end it instead of me.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
Same for me, Trainman.
By the way, only the RPGs and mainstream Mario games are in the same continuity (this also mean Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, and Donkey Kong (GB)). Meaning that the Mario Kart series, Mario Party series, Mario vs. Donkey Kong series and other things aren't "canon".

Also, @above poster : only the very first part of World 1-1 is in the intro of SMG2. Then the path continues differently. So this is more a tribute than anything else.

I did a (current) map of the Mushroom Kingdom but I also based it on SMBZ and thus it doesn't count. Not that it matters anyway, as Nintendo will never show us a full map. However, it's confirmed the Mushroom Kingdom is on the north hemisphere of the Mushroom World and, because we'll see the full map of the planet in SMG2, we'll know the Mushroom Kingdom's shape (well, there are obviously many continents on the north hemisphere but it'll be one of those).

On-topic: what Trainman said.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
Same for me, Trainman.
By the way, only the RPGs and mainstream Mario games are in the same continuity (this also mean Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, and Donkey Kong (GB)). Meaning that the Mario Kart series, Mario Party series, Mario vs. Donkey Kong series and other things aren't "canon".

Since when does Mario have an official canon with which to decide what does and doesn't fit? As far as we know, everything is "canon". More importantly, if there were an official "canon", why exactly are the games you just mentioned exempt from it?

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »
^
You're right, forget what I said.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
Everything that the Chef suggested. Indeed, a game filled with meta-references out the wazoo would make for a perfect sendoff.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
There is no canon.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
I already beat you to the punch, Chup.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg