Print

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS  (Read 4696 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

This wasn't announced at Nintendo's conference and the images were originally hidden and then taken down from http://e3.nintendo.com which lead many to believe that it was just a demo or mistake.  Since then it was confirmed at Nintendo's round table and on http://twitter.com/nintendoamerica .  The images are also now on the press site, but seem hidden there too as far as I know. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:43:05 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »
Now that I see that 3DS up close, I'm not too sure I like that d-pad/analog nub placement. Or the fact that there's an analog nub.

Yes, now I have something to complain about.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I like having the headphone port in the middle as much as I thought I did. Looks like it won't be as convenient to keep it in your pocket while listening to music now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »
This is, of course, very awesome, but this game has been remade quite a few times already... portable, and in 3D, though? Can't really complain.

And yeah, the headphone port is a bit questionable, but it's not a massive deal.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
If the head phone plug had a 90 degree bend it might not be so bad and might actually have the advantage of being harder to accidentally unplug while in your pocket. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D...

More remakes..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:20:45 PM »
Remember: Three years after its initial release, the 3DS will be remade as a smaller unit with pointless extra features, most likely including a side headphone jack.

Regarding the analog nub, I'd rather have it and the control pad switch positions, but whatever. We'll get used to it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
It's not a nub, it's a slider.  Besides, I expect most 3DS games will use the slider more than the digital bad and thus it appears to be in the desired position.  Some people have even requested two analog sliders for shooters.  I don't know how much the 3DS will change, but remember that this is just a demo.  Edit:  A demo machine, not a demo game. 

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »
Ruto in 3D. That is all.

Actually, while I'm impressed that they're giving it a graphical makeover (Epona's looking pretty good), it just doesn't seem right to play Zelda: Ocarina of Time on what I imagine to be a small screen. And for an involved game like Zelda, it's not exactly pick-up-and-play. Even though you can Save anywhere and I think the items/weapons you find stay with you, just that you return to the beginning of whatever area you're in. I'd still feel better playing it on a big screen, but that's me.

And Star Fox 64 3D... well, it's nice it will get a graphical makeover, but it's still by and large an easy game. Unless you're going for the medals, perhaps. I say remake Star Fox SNES. Keep the levels and god-awful rotating pillars, but update the graphics so I don't get seizures when I play it.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
Like someone somewhere said, what about Star Fox 2?
I have no qualms with playing games on a small screen. I still wait for the day when I can take my console games and play them on a portable unit with the same save file, etc.
Re: analog, it's just going along with GameCube positioning (whereas PSP goes with PS* style positioning) for the analog and digital. Switching it would just ... make it not conform to Nintendo's design ideas.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
I still wait for the day when I can take my console games and play them on a portable unit with the same save file, etc.

I had speculated a while ago that within a few generations, consoles and handhelds might get merged into a single system. Once we get to the point where handhelds can have the power of a PS3 with the size and price of a DS (which I'd say is seven or eight years away at most), are consoles really going to be far enough ahead to justify splitting them up? Is the old division of consoles having long epic adventures and handhelds having short arcadey bursts going to hold true enough anymore?

Just come home at the end of the day and put your 5DS into a dock that's plugged into your TV and keep on playing. The dock wouldn't even need to have a disc drive, really, since SD cards can already hold up to 2 TB.

I don't know if that really sounds like something Nintendo would do, though. Sounds more like Microsoft, or maybe Sony. Or Sega.

If Sega did do it, they'd have to call it the Sega Exodus. That name works on like five different levels (in America, at least). If I was the CEO of Sega, I'd be sorely tempted to do it just based on how perfect the name is, regardless of whether it would actually be a good business decision or not (it wouldn't).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
Alternately, you could just prop a home console and a small power-generating device on your shoulder, and game like a REAL MAN. Cool kids did it with stereos in the 80's, so why can't we with video games today?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »

Yeah, I meant newer consoles. (And you thought you were joking?)
PSP almost sorta has this right with its component output, but mine's a 1000 and doesn't have it anyway.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
I've played this game eight million times and don't want to ever again.

Even playing brand new Zeldas feels like playing a game I've already played eight million times nowadays.

(LD Prediction: There will be one new dungeon in this version.)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 06:31:44 AM »
While I prefer big/long games like this on a big screen while in a comfy seat I think this wouldn't be too bad if it has a instant save feature like closing a VC game on Wii or the DS standby mode.  Besides, the screen is considerable larger than the DS screen. 

(L'son Prediction: LD will eventually buy this version anyway.)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »
Wind Waker needs a remake first, so they can put in all the dungeons they were originally going to have.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:33:30 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
Wind Waker needs a remake first, so they can replace 90% of the ocean will fully-explorable land.

Print