Print

Author Topic: Final Fantasy suggestions  (Read 8807 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
While I'll give it a go, I've heard nothing but bad about it.

Also, what did you end up playing? For the record, Final Fantasy IV was remade for the DS. It's not a bad version, but is pretty different from standard FFIV (which you haven't played anyway).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:09:41 PM by Black Mage »

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Nintendo Power seemed pretty positive about The 4 Heroes of Light, but that's a given. It seems like everyone is *****ing about its old-school mechanics, which I happen to love. Its seemingly-simplistic storyline, angst-free hero, classic Job system and focus on strong melodies over fancy arrangements are all major selling points for me. I'm not crazy about the graphics, but otherwise the game looks promising from my perspective.

Also, what did you end up playing?
]

As mentioned in the first post, the only FF games I own are the remakes of III and IV. I haven't gotten anything else since then.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
Oh, that's my bad for not re-reading your opening post. That explains why I did not recommend FFIV DS in my original reply.

Anyway, go play FFV Advance of FFVI Advance as we suggested earlier. And if what you said about your taste in games just now is true, you really ought to investigate Dragon Quest IV and V. Sounds like a perfect match. They also have the benefit of being absolutely amazing RPGs.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »
Dragon Quest V get. It's good, although the save system is a nuisance.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
seemingly-simplistic storyline
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Dark Spire
angst-free hero
classic Job system
the stuff that Black Mage already suggested, plus Dragon Quest IX and The Dark Spire
focus on strong melodies over fancy arrangements

Incidentally, all of those are perfect reasons to not suggest The World Ends With You to you, which is sad because I'd still say it's one of the best RPGs available on the DS despite its complex (sometimes overbearingly so) storyline, angst-ridden hero (though in his case it's at least justifiable, given that he's an ordinary teenager), nonstandard JRPG mechanics, and musical focus on remixes of a handful of (quite enjoyable) J-pop, J-rock, and J-rap tracks.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »
Warp, do you really think real teenagers act like that? The kid from TWEWY was a whiny, stuck-up little punkass ***** and I hated him from the start until the end. He's clearly a 40-year-old translator's interpretation of a 40-year-old Japanese writer's opinion of what real teenagers act like.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
a whiny, stuck-up little punkass *****
You just described my brother.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:34 AM »
I would recommend you that you get yourself a Playstation and the game Final Fantasy VIII. That is one of the best Final Fantasy games out there besides FFX. you can try them both if you like.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
I really really hate the kid from The World Ends With You.
every

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
I would recommend you that you get yourself a Playstation and the game Final Fantasy VIII. That is one of the best Final Fantasy games out there besides FFX. you can try them both if you like.

I am just curious, but what Final Fantasy games have you played?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
Weegee have you played V and VI yet? VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, so I strongly recommend it. But seriously, get a PS2.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
Not yet, no. They're both high on my to-get list, though.

On a related note, I hate whoever suggested Dragon Quest to me. I've been playing Hand of the Heavenly Bride for nearly ten hours per day since getting it.

Regarding Warp's recommendations: I'll... look into them.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
V was my favorite but I think XII is actually my favorite now.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
Weegee, I'd say go ahead and get The Dark Spire if you happen to see a copy at your local game store, but see if you can find a way to try Strange Journey before you buy it. The Dark Spire is pretty cheap now (I got my copy for four bucks) and is a fun Wizardry-type JRPG, but while I think Strange Journey is excellent in almost every regard, certain aspects of it may turn you off.

As for Dragon Quest IX, see if you can get some friends to buy it so you can all spend ten hours a day playing co-op quests.

And, seriously, buy a PS2. Not just for RPGs, but also for everything else.

Print