Print

Author Topic: Dragon Quest General  (Read 35303 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »
No, see, I went in with next to nothing like I usually do. I earned almost 100,000 gold within that dungeon. And lost half of it being slaughtered by an ultra-spoiler boss.

And that quest would sound slightly worse than the level 15 Paladin quest if not for the fact that Fizzle exists. Still disproportionately harder than either Sage quest, though.

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
Dragon Quest IX in a nutshell:

I would also like to take this moment to say that I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER****ING GROTTOES IN THIS MOTHER****ING GAME. It seems as though just about every post-game and DLC quest involves finding something in a grotto, and I'm sick of it. Eaugh.

EDIT: Also, here's an alchemy ingredient map.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:00:48 AM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 06:57:02 AM »
I've had that map for some time, actually. One of two indispensable resources (the other being this).

I put one of my characters in the maid dress at one point. He even had (still has) the metal slime spear the guy in that image is wielding! (Speaking of which, any weapon with "metal slime" in the name is automatically worth using; in particular, any weapon whose corresponding skill tree includes a multi-hit skill is God tier. I've done eight damage to a single metal king slime with Multithrust on multiple occasions.)

And regarding postgame quests involving dungeons, aside from a few that have required a dungeon meeting very specific criteria (one with "dolour" in its name, one that's at least eight floors deep with "fear" in its name), I haven't had a problem with the quests that require you to visit them (and it's not really that many, at any rate). I'm more annoyed by quests that require you to alchemize high-level equipment with ingredients like magic beast horns, as well as the downloadable quests that require items purchased from DQVC for completion (I can't get my Wi-Fi USB thing working, or else I'd already have one of the two I'm speaking of completed).

How many times have you revocated so far? I'm up to one on each character; unfortunately, you don't receive an award for a particular vocation more than once, which means revocating two Paladins was a waste.

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
this

I LOVE YOU

I haven't revocated with anyone yet. Rather, I've been hoarding Skill Points by levelling everyone to about  40 in at least eight vocations each. My mage is at level 92, though.

Have you gotten the Simple Simon accolade yet?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
Yeah, but I used a guide for it. There's no way a player would feasibly be able to figure out the equipment combination for it on their own, especially since it's vastly different depending on which gender the main character is.

Also, though the game is designed such that every vocation and weapon type is viable, I still say Sages are better than Mages. Naturally less squishy, able to deal darkness damage, healing...and the last bonus on their skill track is a 25% reduction to MP usage, which is why, as I said before, they're the second vocation you should max out for every character, after the Paladin (because the massive resilience and HP bonuses are immensely valuable no matter what).

And regarding revocation, keep in mind that the formula for generating treasure maps is partially based on your main character's current most-revocated vocation, so if you need to encounter monsters that you aren't finding in low-level dungeons, revocation will help. (Plus, you have to either revocate a couple of times or use a lot of seeds of skill to max out every skill track.)

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
I feel that the Sage outclasses the Priest, but not the Mage. My one Sage uses almost exclusively white/defensive magic, so my other magician is free to take advantage of the Mage's superior offensive spell selection.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:35 AM »
The Sage is the only vocation capable of naturally utilizing darkness damage, which a good number of endgame foes are weak to; the only other ways to deal darkness damage are to reflect it with Bounce/mirror armor/Magic Mirror or to use an expensive spear-only skill that only one character can use at any given time. And, again, the Sage's base physical stats are better than those of the Mage, as they're closer to that of the physically-oriented Priest, but without a significant trade-off for magic ability; a max-level Sage with every skill tree maxed out and the best possible equipment is naturally going to take less damage (and deal more from regular attacks) than a Mage with the same, while dealing about the same amount of damage with spells.

The Sage is the only vocation capable of throwing double Kazammle (under the effects of Twocus Pocus) at a boss one turn, healing the party to full health the next (double Multiheal, still under the effects of Twocus Pocus), rebuilding the party's worn-off Kabuff to full strength in a single turn (still Twocus Pocus), and then smacking the boss for a nice bit of damage with a regular attack (to build the multiplier up for your super-high-tension-and-boosted-attack Gladiator to do max damage with every hit of a multi-hit weapon).

The Sage does require a bit of building up (fully half of the vocations' skill tracks maxed out or almost maxed out), but once you get him there, he can pretty much single-handedly demolish anything that isn't a boss or a metal slime (and I don't even know yet if there's a metal slime wand or not - if there is, that goes out the window as well). The Mage isn't worthless (again, every vocation is viable), but I'd say there's more room for a Priest in a Sage's party than there is for a Mage.

Meanwhile, over in Thief land, I got three mini medals from a single mimic the other day. Stole one + Itemised Kill ensured one dropped + the Thief book skill activated = a happy WarpRattler.

Also, don't know if you've seen it or not, but you may find the information contained within this post of great use.

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
It's a matter of taste, I suppose. I would probably be using a Priest and a Sage, if Priests could learn Kazing. My whole party has maxed out the Sage's skill track, by the way... Not to mention the Warrior's, the Paladin's, the Martial Artist's, and the Thief's.

Meanwhile, over in Thief land, I got three mini medals from a single mimic the other day.

Lucky goose. It once took me 14 attempts to steal a single one.

this

Seen it. Thanks anyway, though. I'll see your grotto guide and raise you a grotto calculator, which you're equally likely to have already seen.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
The Thief track actually isn't that useful beyond Half-Inch, since agility boosts don't do much, and the only important thing deftness really affects is Half-Inch's success rate (and you get a lot more deftness from maxing out the Ranger track anyway).

Since you said you have the Warrior and Paladin maxed out already, you would do well to spend some skill points maxing out the Gladiator track, for +40 strength and +60 HP.

And I hadn't seen the calculator. Looks to be pretty useful, if only because now I know what to look for so I can fight certain monsters and bosses for quests.

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
On the contrary, I find agility bonuses to be quite useful: My entire team now moves before practically everything, rendering the once-essential Acceleratle unnecessary. I agree that the Thief's advanced abilities suck, though.

Which regular quests do you have yet to finish? I'm down to #34: "A Simple Task", #42: "Letter Getter", #59: "Runny Bunny", and the Swinedimples quests for the staff, whip, claws, fan, and boomerang.

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
I wish I knew what you were talking about, but it makes me think of a question: I have never played a Dragon Quest game before, but have been thinking of getting into the series. Is there any specific game that would be a good one to start with? I have a PS2 and all Nintendo systems if that means anything..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2010, 07:52:34 PM »
If you want to feel the series' continuity and development, start off as early as possible. Remakes of Dragon Quest IV and V are available for DS, and a DS port of VI has been released in Japan. Dragon Quest VIII came out for PS2 in 2005. IX is exclusively for DS, and X is currently in development for Wii.

Of the above games, I own IV, V and IX. I would suggest that you play them in roughly chronological order, but none of them are direct sequels of each other.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure I could count the number of times I've cast Accelerate/Acceleratle on one hand. My team is naturally pretty fast anyway, so I don't have to worry about agility bonuses (and if I did, you get +100 agility from maxing out the Martial Artist track, so I'd just do that). Also, Eye for Trouble would be pretty useful if it was a passive.

I've still got a large number of regular quests to do, since I've been doing more of the extra quests. Of those, I have twenty-five remaining; of those twenty-five, six are in progress, five can't be accepted at this time, six just outright aren't available to me, and two can't be completed because I don't have DQVC access.

Dragon Quest VIII is graphically and aurally the best in the series (the latter, in terms of audio quality; your mileage may vary with regards to the compositions themselves), and is probably the least expensive (aside from the NES original) if price is a concern. There are also a bunch of spinoffs that may serve as better entry points to the series due to their relative similarity to other games you've played; of the ones that have been released here, the Dragon Quest Monsters games, which apply Dragon Quest's combat to Pokémon-style monster-battling, can be fun for a while (and Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, a Japan-only GBA title, has been fan-translated, if you're willing to emulate), and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a wonderful game that plays more like a 2D Zelda entry than a Dragon Quest game. (Also, it involves awesome giant tank robot battles.)

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
Eye for Trouble is only very useful for locating the stairs in grottoes, really.

The only currently-available extra quest I haven't done is "Risque Respects". That Dangerous Bustier is being a ***** to find.

I've been thinking about looking into Rocket Slime, but I've heard that the gameplay gets pretty repetitive. Would you agree?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2010, 11:35:58 PM »
I actually found a dangerous bustier before I started that quest, both so I could just hand it to her and so I didn't have it tying up one of my quest slots like Runny Bunny did for so long.

You know how Zelda dungeons might seem repetitive if each one didn't feature a different gimmick weapon/tool? That's how it is with Rocket Slime, because that game doesn't do those gimmicks like Zelda does. And Zelda games don't have awesome giant tank robot battles.

Print