Print

Author Topic: Batman: Arkham City  (Read 2559 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »
Glad to see a sequel to Arkham Asylum (despite its uninspired boss fights).  From the looks of it, we'll have a bigger, sandbox-style game this time, which is fine by me.  I'm interested to see how they'll improve on the first game.  Especially the boss fights.  Needs better boss fights.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
I don't think it's really going to be open-world.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
I sure hope it isn't. The first game needed absolutely nothing in terms of improvement, at least nothing I can currently think of. Especially anything concerning fights, Arkham Asylum has the best fighting system in any game.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
Not the fighting system - the combat mechanics were good - the way boss fights were structured.  Every boss fight in the game except Killer Croc was "find and exploit boss' weak point, boss calls henchmen, defeat henchmen, repeat two or three times."  I hated that the developers relied so much on Zerg Rushing you instead of making the bosses themselves legitimately difficult.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the boss fights. I agree that they were pretty easy, but it's not like I beat a boss and thought to myself, "I wish that was more difficult."

Also, have you actually played Starcraft? I'm not sure you know what a zerg rush is.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the boss fights. I agree that they were pretty easy, but it's not like I beat a boss and thought to myself, "I wish that was more difficult."
Not more difficult.  More of the bosses doing the fighting instead of attacking from the background while you deal with their henchmen.

Also, have you actually played Starcraft? I'm not sure you know what a zerg rush is.
"A strategy whereupon, instead of defeating your opponent with a small number of strong combatants, you attempt to overwhelm your opponent with a very large number of disposable combatants."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »
What the what, now? Man, this is what happens when I stop paying steady attention to non-Nintendo news. Should be good, though.

I didn't see a massive problem with the boss fights but, then again, I grew up on Nintendo games, and those bosses usually aren't much different.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
Yeah. That's not really what the boss battles were like. It was more like stages, where you attack a boss for a while and then some minions and then back to the boss. It's a very common boss battle structure, in fact I'm struggling to think of a game with boss battles that doesn't behave like that. Well, Shadow of the Colossus weirdly comes to mind.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »
The first game needed absolutely nothing in terms of improvement, at least nothing I can currently think of.
I want 2-player co-op so bobman can be my little buddy Robin.

Print