Print

Author Topic: Super Meat Boy  (Read 24685 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
I am strongly considering referring to this game as an action-puzzler.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
What is the intro to CH3 referencing? I don't recognize that one.

Ok, what is CH3? I'm behind in my acronyms.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
Chapter 3.

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »
I am strongly considering referring to this game as an action-puzzler.
Why?

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 03:18:01 AM »
This post may contain minor spoilers.

Super Meat Boy 125% progress (legit 100% completion). Deaths: 10945

So it turns out this game is super glitchy in terms of tracking progress. Sometimes the game won't save the levels you beat and the bandages you get, and you have no way of knowing when it stopped saving until you turn the game on next time and see all the levels that got erased. This happened to me a lot. But the completion percentages and bandage tracking remain the same. So when I replayed levels and re-got the bandages, the percentages kept climbing. I ended up with 25/20 bandages and 149% complete in one of the chapters.

I didn't realize this was a glitch until very recently. I thought the game was just really awesome and allowed you to complete over one hundred percent of the chapters, and there were actually 25 bandages available in each chapter instead of 20, and the counter was just out of 20 to fool you. I spent a lot of time looking for the last bandages in the worlds that said 22/20 or 23/20. I also got excited because I thought the achievement for 100% completion would activate when the game progress on the statistics screen said 100% and not when you actually beat every level and get every bandage. I realized it was actually a glitch when I only counted 20 bandages on the screen.

I made my last post when my progress on the stats screen said 100%. My Light World progress was over 100%, and my dark world was somewhere around 60%. I knew I would post again when I had actually completed 100% of the game, as I have now. As Lizard Dude pointed out, though, I didn't have the 100% achievement. I thought that was because I actually did need to get legit 100% completion, but weirdly, the achievement unlocked only a few levels after my post. Before I got the Beat the Dark Worlds achievement. So the achievements are glitchy too.

I don't know if my deaths were erased along with the levels during the save fails, or if the death count kept climbing like the percentage. I would say I had about a thousand deaths in my replay attempts. Among many smaller one- or two-level replayings, erased at some point were: the entirety of Cotton Alley light world, the entirety of The End dark world, and a few Warp Zone bandages and other tough bandages.

So I pretty much got cheated out of the best part of this game: the glorious feeling of beating a level and the satisfaction in knowing I will never have to do it again, because I did have to do it again. And it wasn't the same the second time, because I knew I'd already done it. In short, this game caused various amounts and various varieties of RAGE.

But it's a fantastic game. Great atmosphere, great characters, great music, great control and gameplay feel. And it's hard, but it's not super hard. Once you figure out how to play it, it's actually pretty easy. It just comes down to how fast your muscles can memorize the feel of each jump in the level. Yes, I was angry when I had to replay a bunch of levels, but it didn't take long because I'd done them before, I knew the trick and where to go for each level. I could probably play through it again right now and beat it in under 2000 deaths. But the trick is to do it immediately, before my muscles lose the memory. I'm not going to do it though, I just kicked this game's ass and it can go suck one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:21:45 AM by bobman37 »

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »
The day SMB came out I played through a chapter and a half, getting most of the bandages and warp zones along the way. I then quit to eat or something and came back later. None of the levels were beaten. I went UHHHHHHHHH and looked on the internet. People said a patch for this was coming soon and would also add a buttload of new levels to the game.

I have since procrastinated on SMB as hard as I could, 100%ing multiple other games, and still the patch has not come out. :<

bobman37: Your stats may get set to their proper values once the patch hits. *shrug*

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
Why?
It's just that the almost mathematical precision required to survive some of the levels--combined with the large amount of short, fast-paced levels--reminds me more of an action-puzzler. Of course, there's the alternate genre title: Butt-rapingly-hard platformer.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
Uh, didn't that patch already come out, Lizard Dude? If not, you can thank Microsoft's certification process for the delay - on PC, we had a patch the day after the game came out, and a second patch the day after that.

We were lucky enough not to have any progress-destroying bugs or issues like bobman's in the PC version; instead, we had a billion crashes, some issues with the exclusive characters being massively broken, and problems with DirectInput gamepads. And most of those problems have been fixed. I've been having issues with another bug, though, one that involves moving platforms killing me for no reason at all. It's ridiculous watching replays and seeing a bunch of whichever character die while standing still, far away from any obstacles.

Still enjoying the game, though. I haven't been playing much since my initial couple of sessions (partially due to having to get patches and my connection being stupid), but at the chapter four boss I'm still way ahead of all my friends on Steam who have the game.

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
bobman37: Your stats may get set to their proper values once the patch hits. *shrug*
Yeah I thought of that. I'll probably take a picture today.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »

(yes, the PC version does actually say "Gamertag"; it has a lot of stuff left in from the 360 version that's rather low-priority compared to the gamebreaking bugs they've been fixing, like the one that led to the time shown in that image)

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
There has indeed been no patch yet on 360. Microsoft are giant dukars about patching, unless your game has Halo or Duty in the title. See also: Valve's PS3 speech last E3.

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »

...O.M.G.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I lost forever.

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
That is very well done.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »
While Microsoft dicks over console gamers by making them wait for a patch for the XBLA version, we have another patch coming on PC that fixes a few more things and adds Dark World Ironman (no-death) achievements.

Going from LD's logic, I wonder if the patch would come out faster if Team Meat added a subtitle to the 360 version: "Duty of Halo Gears"

Print