Print

Author Topic: Super Meat Boy  (Read 24865 times)

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
You know, I'm kinda glad I played it before it got patched. Beating it 100% in its glitchy, save-bug status makes me even more godly of a gamer.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 10:38:03 PM »
It was less broken on 360 in the first place, though. We still have a lot of bugs on the PC version, and sometimes they inadvertently introduce more with their fixes. One of the patches made trying to play chapter five crash the game, for example. And the most recent patch has screwed up some people's unlocks.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »
This game is slowly becoming a perfect example of how patches can completely cripple the incentive to make a game right the first time around. I mean, okay, the first one on Steam was only a few hours after it came out... but leaving out a couple of bosses? Come on.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
Megapatches are the new delays. Because that way companies get their money sooner.

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »
Patches also kill the fun of glitch-finding. If programmers had the ability to patch their releases in 1985, Super Mario Bros.' Minus World glitch (among countless other) would be long-gone from the annals of gaming history by today.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
And let's not get started on Metroid Prime: Player's Choice Edition.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
We'd also likely not have wavedashing or item- and Pokémon-duping glitches if non-PC games prior to this generation had been patchable outside of reprints. I'm not seeing the problem here.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 01:19:11 PM »
The problem isn't unique, game-enhancing little things that don't really affect you if you don't know they exist--it's stupid crap like
CRASHING DURING GAMPLAY AFTER ABOUT 3 LEVELS
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »
Some of these problems are related to the computers people are trying to play the game on rather than the game itself, you know. Team Meat had maybe three machines to test the PC version of Super Meat Boy on. No way they were going to catch everything.

Furthermore, I'd guess it's pretty tough to port a game to PC after releasing it on a console and having to deal with Microsoft making fixing that version an absolute pain.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »
Oh, since it wasn't mentioned before (unless you looked at the filename):

That image Lizard Dude posted isn't just fan art. That's the box art for the retail release of the PC version.

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
That makes it even more awesome.

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
Anyone know what's happening with the wiiware version? Unfortunately for me that's the only version I would be able to get.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
They're trying to work out their options with Nintendo. The game exceeds the file size limit on WiiWare games, and they don't want to have to cut stuff.

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
I hate to consider this, but maybe they'll release it in overpriced "chapters" like they did for FFIV: The After Years.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »

Print