Ziro
1 (1.9%)
Zuma's Revenge
2 (3.8%)
Other
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Print

Author Topic: Pick a Steam game for Lugison to play  (Read 3540 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
Above are 37 Steam games that I either already own (on Steam or otherwise) or are on my Steam wishlist.  Pick up to 5 of them that you think I should play.  I'll purchase the top 5 if I don't already own them or play the ones I have.    Feel free to post about the games you feel strongly about or suggest games that are not on the list.

In addition, I need a good game-pad for retro games.  My PS3 controller isn't cutting it.  Any suggestions? 

Also, my four-year-old daughter loves playing Nick Jr., Boost, and Sprout Online games on my Windows and Linus PCs.  Any suggestions for her? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Super Meat Boy: The PC version has received a massive amount of patches, and the level editor proper comes out in January. Game's mad fun and its brutal difficulty isn't that big a deal until you start going for the no-miss achievements.

VVVVVV: I'll let the thread explain this one.

World of Goo: Do I need to explain this one to someone who I'm pretty sure bought it more times than I did?

Zuma's Revenge: Still need to buy this myself, but I totally dug the original Zuma (and Puzz Loop/Magnetica) and the Revenge demo.

Other: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale is a game that at first glance has no business being any fun. Then you start playing it and, whoops, it's four hours later. Buy low, sell high, raid dungeons, generally be awesome.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:57:48 PM »
I picked up Crayon Physics Delux shortly after it ame out, and I got stuck to it for an entire weekend. It was just an impulse buy after resent about it on Slashdot, but well worth the $10. I will say, it's much better with a pen tablet rather than a mouse, but not necessary. Magic Marker is similar and just different enough to keep interesting.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Chime and Plants vs Zombie are the only ones on that list I've played. Thoroughly enjoyed both, they seem suited for pick-up and play types too.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »
Braid destroys everything else listed. Except maybe Portal.

I don't know about what a four year old would like to play, but The UnderGarden is an audiovisual experience that a four (or forty) year old would definitely want to look at.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
My take on the games I've got:

Braid: Screw the haters--Yes, the plot is convoluted and pretentious, but at least it makes you think, which is more than I can say for about three-quarters of the games I've bought in the last few years; yes, its gimmick isn't the most original, but it's all about how it's implemented in that plot; and yes, you don't get a whole lot of gameplay bang for your buck, but... well, that's something you'll have to deal with. Great art style, great music, and a "story" that's at turns both heart-wrenching and mind-blowing... if you haven't already played it, just do it and do it quick, before my hype diminishes it any more.
Gish: As someone who is sick and tired of games where you play as a blob, I was prepared to leave this one to gather cobwebs in my Steam menu after I got it as part of one of those insanely discounted indie packs. However, to be fair, I gave it a go for a few levels, and I have to say that my prejudices were not wholly unfounded: The game's pretty weak. The concept doesn't really bring anything new to the table, the jumping and wall-sticking controls are frustrating at best, and the overall presentation is pretty low-tech--and not in an ironic way. I don't know what it costs solo now, but I doubt it's worth it.
Portal: Considering that I played this one for the first time this year (on the PS3 Orange Box--yeah, sue me), it's difficult to say that I thought anything but "overrated" when all was said and done. Still, it's a unique, funny, clever game, and if you can get past the fact that the spoiler is about as ubiquitous as "Snape Kills Dumbledore", I think you'll have a great couple of hours with it.
Psychonauts: After beating the PS2 version, I can safely say that this one shouldn't be missed--wonderfully demented sense of humor, wild gameplay mechanics and twists, and a great aesthetic. However, as a game made in the days back when everyone was trying to copy the Mario formula instead of the Wii Sports and/or Halo formula, it does suffer from a bit of collectathon-itis, and there's a whiplash-inducing spike in difficulty near the end.
Puzzle Agent: I got this game with Gish and etc., and figured it would be an easy way for me segue into the Professor Layton-style games that seem to be some of the rage these days. If you like this genre, which to my knowledge essentially consists of interactive cutscenes interspersed with brainteasers, then go ahead. All you need to know about my skill level is that I'm stuck on the one where you have to calculate a bunch of people's work shifts.
Super Meat Boy: I want to like this game, I really do--unlockable characters, a great soundtrack, a slick art style, retro throwbacks... it's just soul-crushingly, emasculatingly hard, exacerbated only further by keyboard controls (Just a tip, Team Meat: STFU about the 360 controller. If I had one, then I'd buy the game on the 360). I can only passively recommend it as a game, but I highly recommend it as a sort of theraputic tool to either (a) Give you a breath of fresh air--and some perspective--from all the casual-ready titles populating consoles these days (but mostly Nintendo ones, which this game is curiously not on), or (b) As a way to enhance your skill at any other game you're having trouble with, akin to swinging with three bats in the batter's box.
VVVVVV: I got this one after LD incessantly sang its praises, and... well, I was impressed. The game takes a simple (and, let's face it, well-worn) gameplay mechanic, and does all kinds of crazy stuff with it. Sure, it's hair-pullingly difficult, but respawns are so swift that it never becomes more than an annoyance, and the soundtrack and charm are surprisingly great--plus, there's plenty to do after you beat the main game. Faux-retro is getting old, though.
World of Goo: If you can tolerate occasionally profanity-inducing physics-based gameplay, I can safely recommend this one. Yes, it's another blob-themed game, but the building mechanic is pretty innovative, the humor is sometimes unexpectedly lol-worthy, and the art style is somewhere at the intersection of Dr. Seuss and a skateboard company.
Other: Amnesia: The Dark Descent is great if you enjoyed Myst, but wished it made you want to sleep with the lights on and a gun under your pillow. Also, The Ball is okay, but I literally can't get the [darn] thing to run anymore.

I own but have not played Machinarium and Osmos. Additionally, I obtained both (along with Braid, which I'm saying I played because I originally got the PS3 version) through the "Humble Indie Bundle #2", which if you don't really care about Achievements or other Community integration, I'd recommend over a Steam download, as you can pay what you want and it all goes to charity.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
Definitely Braid. Braid first.

I'm a big Psychonauts fan, that game has a really great personality.

I've heard lots of good things about Machinarium but I have yet to play my copy.

I'd also recommend VVVVVV for its simple but addictive gameplay and stellar music.

I'm assuming you've already put a lot of time into Portal and Peggle. If this is not the case, it should be.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 03:32:27 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what alternate universe Brian is living in where Braid's "gimmick isn't the most original" and VVVVVV mechanic is "let's face it, well-worn". What the deuce? Where are all these flip-to-the-ceiling games I've been missing? What games have used time-control to even 5% the extent of Braid?

I mean, Braid changed mechanics every single world, none of which were like anything seen in any games made before or after!

tl;dr: What is Brian smoking and where can I get some?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:34:09 AM by Lizard Dude »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm sorry, but "originality" does not equal quality.

Yes, Braid's mechanic was highly original. The time-reversing mechanic being used in a puzzle-platformer like that was a cool concept. But in practice I just didn't find it to be all that much fun.

Now, it's been quite some time since I played it, so my opinion might change with another go. It just finished installing on here, so I'm going to see if I can bring myself to actually finish it this time.

(Just a tip, Team Meat: STFU about the 360 controller. If I had one, then I'd buy the game on the 360)
Dude, they've been saying everywhere that keyboard is an inferior control scheme for the game. Because it wasn't made for keyboard. That said, I've been playing it just fine with that control scheme, and probably would've finished by now if my desktop hadn't crapped out on me.

And, you know what? STFU about the whole casual thing. Every time you complain about that stuff it further convinces me that you don't actually play video games.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »
Bioshock is five dollars right now on Steam, Luigison. I highly highly recommend it if you're at all into shooters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:53:35 PM by bobman37 »

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Also check this out for the chillun.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »
Thanks guys.  I bought of few games bringing my total to:

Aquaria
Braid
Bullet Candy
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Delve Deeper
Droplitz
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Galcon Fusion
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Gish
Lugaru HD
Lumines
Machinarium
Max and the Magic Marker
Obulis
Osmos
Peggle Deluxe
Peggle Nights
Penumbra: Overture
Portal
Psychonauts
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Dimension
QuantZ
Secret of the Magic Crystal
Super Laser Racer
Super Meat Boy
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
The UnderGarden
Toki Tori
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Ziro
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »
I played Machinarium for the first time yesterday. I really like it so far. It's a nice combination of original, intricate, charming, creepy, puzzling and funny.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »
Man, some of those games I played and watched my bro play. World of Goo was...something else! Eerie looking, but so cool, I just couldn't touch it! I'm big about Portal, so I hope you have fun with that one, Luigison!

Print