Print

Author Topic: Two New Kirby Games!  (Read 3014 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Check this out! It looks a lot like that Gamecube Kirby game that they never released! I hope you can still have three partners!

Anyway, there are some interesting things to point out here. First is the "Whip" ability, where Kirby is wearing a cowboy hat. Second is the fact that if you inhale a bunch of enemies, you get a life! It's about time they rewarded you for doing something like that! On top of that, you can spit out a GIANT star after you inhaled all those enemies. The most interesting thing is that they brought back the health bar from Kirby Super Star!

This game looks great! They definitely got my money on this one!

EDIT: There's yet ANOTHER new Kirby game coming out for the DS! Look at 3:00 in this video! 2011 seems like it's going to be a very good year indeed!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:51:27 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »
Great.  Two more games I won't be able to buy.  I need a job.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
The Wii game is strongly reminiscent of Kirby 64. Awesome.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
I didn't like Kirby 64 too much, but I liked its 3D environments. If they put in the ability to make partners, I'm going to gather a bunch of friends!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:14:47 PM »
The DS Kirby game looks weird. So many Kirbies on the screen at once. Poor Wispy didn't stand a chance (not that he ever does...)

The Wii game makes me giddy. It looks like a cross between Kirby Superstar and Kirby 64, in an awesome way.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »
I didn't like Kirby 64 too much

Impossibru! Please explain.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »
It was perhaps the most linear game I've ever played. Unlike other Kirby games, there were no doors in the middle of any levels, essentially eliminating any form of exploration whatsoever. Many of your allies, especially DeDeDe, seemed tacked on and were used only to get past certain areas. In addition, there were probably only two or three Invincibility Lollipops in the entire game (Kirby's Dream Land had only one, but that game was much shorter). The 3D environments, music, and boss battles were great, but overall I think the game pales in comparison to both earlier and later Kirby titles.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »
...Why should the amount of total invincibility items affect the game's quality?

Futhermore, how does simply having doors in the middle of the stage affect anything at all? What if the doors just lead to one-off rooms that don't go anywhere? There goes your exploration.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
It seems as if they put the invincibility there just to put it there. As for gameplay and exploration, let's take a look at Kirby's Dreamland 3:

Kirby's Dreamland 3 features partners, many of which you can get by going into an optional room. This changes your gameplay experience and encourages you to utilize the advantages that those partners possess. These partners can use abilities that can help you unravel secrets, complete levels more quickly, or collect Heart-Stars. Even Gooey has an advantage; he can eat enemies and get their powers underwater. The combinations of partners and copy abilities is vast, giving you a lot to experiment with. This, in my opinion, greatly enhances the gameplay.

Kirby 64, on the other hand, features very little of this. Sure, you can combine powers together, but that even becomes a task, seeing as you have to get rid of your previous power first to do so. I've also noticed that many of the combinations just didn't help me much at all. Even if there were one-off rooms, it would still change the pace of the game a bit, seeing as you have the potential to get more powers, health, etc. Additionally, there are no alternate paths, even for getting the Crystal Shards. Each level is stricly from point A to point B. No hidden doors, no real secrets, no change of gameplay (except for a few levels), and most importantly no exploration. I'm a guy that likes linearity in games, but not to the point where there's zero exploration involved. If linearity apparently isn't a problem in this game, how come I see people complaining about linearity in Super Mario Galaxy?

I'm not here to bash Kirby 64. I enjoyed the game a bit, but not as much as I hoped to. I just think that most of the other titles in the series are much better.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:47:15 PM by Kimimaru »

Print