Print

Author Topic: Windows Vista and old games?  (Read 3214 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
Anyone here have Vista and find a way to play old games like Mario Teaches Typing 2, Pajama Sam 1 & 2, or Spy Fox 1? 

If not, maybe I should try Ubuntu or find an old Win OS. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Yeah, I've got Windows 7, and I'm out of luck with all these old games I played as a kid.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
Unfortunately, your options are mostly limited to running in compatibility mode and, for DOS games, DOSBox. If you've got Win7 Professional or better you can try using the included WinXP virtual machine.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
*CoughROMscough*
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
This thread is about PC games, you fool.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »
Not to mention pirating games isn't something recommended here.

Luigison, have you tried running the games in Compatibility mode? I assume Windows 7 still has that feature present?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Unfortunately, your options are mostly limited to running in compatibility mode and, for DOS games, DOSBox. If you've got Win7 Professional or better you can try using the included WinXP virtual machine.
Thanks, but as stated in the title and OP I have Vista. 

I'm going to try http://www.dosbox.com for Mario Teaches Typing 2, and http://www.scummvm.org for Pajama Sam and Spy Fox.,
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:14 PM »
Ah, ScummVM completely slipped my mind. Mainly because I didn't play either of those games as a kid.

The Win7 bit was aimed at ShadowBrian.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
The Win7 bit was aimed at ShadowBrian.
Crud.  Now I feel like a jerk. 

Print