Print

Author Topic: Brain Drippings and Comic pages  (Read 6079 times)

« on: July 08, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
I'm newly trying to get some amount of work from my drawing abilities.  I am mostly working on a comic I hope to publish, print and web, sometime soon, but I'm also fascinated by the incredible amount of Eh designs on shirts, so I'm looking to throw my hat in the ring.  So I thought I'd show some of my work here, to you fellas.  The comic pages are without words because I'm just using the same files I put on my Facebook/deviantArt, and I don't want to have the story up yet.

So, yea, give'm a look, if you will. These are the more recent items I've completed.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:19:00 PM by CoconutMikeNIke »
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
Hey, that's looking pretty good. I mean, some of the shading and detail could use work, but it's still a heck of a lot better than I could ever hope to do.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
Well, sorry ShadowBrain, I appreciate the comment, and I meant to get back to you earlier, but I kept putting it off to try and say something clever, or post something new, and since I am not clever, as well as not actually finishing much that I can show off, it just sort of slid into the phase of "Well now it would be awkward to reply".  Anyway, another page was done, and I'm thinking I should just go ahead and put the pages up with the text, it seems like it would help get a bit more attention if people have some context for it all.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
Great facial expressions! The blue dude's pose in panel three is a little strange, though.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »

Spider-Man 2's game is probably my favorite of all Spidey's numerous titles.  I have played it so much, mostly just a few minutes at a time before I get ready to start the day for real, and I felt like doing this.  I meant to add ink and color, but this took a bit longer than I would have liked, between not properly estimating the time it would take to do the webbing or thugs in the net, and just not having as much time to draw, so I need to get back to the comic.  Therefore, we have just the wireframes, a term I picked up from Freddie E. Williams, II, to describe dead line art.  I have found that doing it like this, with all one line weight, keeps me from getting too finicky with what should be blacked out, keeps my anatomy honest, and if I do all the inking at once gives more cohesive lines and lighting.

Blah Blah Blah look at the Spidey fan art.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
Lookin' good.  You seem to have a lot of patience, even if it is "only" lineart.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks. Heh, it's actually as I lost patience that I felt the webbing took on a better look.  About 75% through the web net, I switched from a loose, draping webbing to a pulled taut web, and thought "well shoot, that looks better and takes easily half the time".

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

Forgot to mention with the Spider-Man picture post, but to help garner interest in the comic, and in the intent of giving a Kickstarter project I intend to launch soon a little more to work with (as far as content examples), I posted the pages with the complete story text in place.  Realize now that it's easier to entice others with a full story than just high res images. 

So, here's page one, and the rest can currently be read on my deviantArt page Here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:58:58 PM by CoconutMikeNIke »

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »

The Defenders of the Gene Kickstarter page is live.  If you're unaware of what Kickstarter is, it's a project funding web site that works on the idea that for those who donate, they get a reward, but if the funding goal is not met, then there is no money taken and no rewards given.

I'm looking to get my first issue printed upon completion, and for supplies to do the comic. And rewards include copies of the first issue and volume, but stuff like limited edition prints and cameos in the comic will only be available here.  I've added a few extras and updates since launching, though, including copies donated to local libraries and Kickstarter/Defenders of the Gene T-Shirts. Then there is the reward where I talk who-ever's ear off about my comic, which I almost think I should be paying the person listening, because I can ramble about comics (and especially my comic) for hours and hours.

Thanks for checking it out, let any of your comic friends know, too!

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »
A local paper wrote a piece on Defenders of the Gene, the Kickstarter, and it taking place in Syracuse. This leads to the article, and I grabbed a couple hard copies before work today.

It's really exciting, and even if it doesn't get the Kickstarter funded, it's a nice start.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
So I got a virus in January, and it wiped a lot of stuff out, including photos, music, and my comic and art stuff.  Needless to say, it sort of burnt me out for a bit.  Instead of Defenders of the Gene, I worked on pin-ups, new methods, and short 3 page pieces from other people's scripts to work on layout and storytelling.  I'm feeling ready to start over on my comic, but wanted to get one more thing done, doing a bit of fan art of two of my favorite games' protagonists.

That's right, LD, Perfect Dark, again.

Faith, from Mirror's Edge, and Joanna from Perfect Dark, done with a digital painting method I found using base colors and then using the eyedropper to sample. I don't have a traditional art background, it was a little slow start, but I was surprised how quickly it made more sense going along.  But now I'm ready to get back to my stuff again.

And as a side note of content, if I could have fit in Batman Beyond and Deckard in there somehow, I would, but they were more Dark setting futuristic, where these two were more stark or well lit. Well, kinda.  A few levels of PD were a pain to see.  But in general...

Print