Print

Author Topic: I just had the best idea ever  (Read 6062 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
LINKCEPTION

Materials you will need:
  • 1 big TV
  • 1 Wii or Gamecube
  • 4 more Gamecubes
  • 4 Game Boy Players
  • 4 medium TVs
  • 4 GBA-GCN Link Cables
  • 4 Gamecube controllers with everything except the analog stick removed
  • 4 Gamecube controllers with everything except the A button removed
  • 4 Gamecube controllers with everything except the B button removed
  • 4 Gamecube controllers with everything except the L and R buttons removed
  • 16 people
  • 1 copy of Four Swords Adventures

Each of the four Links is controlled by a Game Boy Advance, but in this case, each Game Boy Advance is a Game Boy Player on a Gamecube that is itself controlled simultaneously by four controllers. In each of the four four-player teams, one person controls that Link's movement, one controls the sword, one controls the item, and one controls picking things up. All sixteen of them must work together to save Zelda.

If you wanted to go even stupider, I think you could replace the sixteen Gamecube controllers with sixteen Game Boy Advances, requiring a total of twenty Link Cables.

I so want to do this now, even though I know I'd suck at it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:55:59 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
I'd love to see this in action.  You reminded me of my laser dance pad controller project that I never completed.  One day... 

In my project I already have one circuit board, but never bought/made a second or the laser matrix.  The idea was to have two dance pads setup with garage door opener style switches (the ones on the bottom that stop the door from closing if a cat walks under the door).  One pad would controller up, down, left, and right.  The other would controller A, B, X, and Y.  Two players (one per pad) would dance to control a game like Super Mario Bros. or Bit Trip Runner. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »
To really play up the cooperation-competition dialectic, do four of these setups, with prizes for the group of sixteen who can finish the game the fastest (with some other consolation prizes). Then on top of that, have another group of 64 on the other side of a wall in 4 groups of 16 playing Double Dash LAN matches (this will require 32 Gamecubes and 32 TVs). Do this massive thing at E3 or PAX or an anime con or something and have the two groups of 64 compete to see who can raise the most money for charity from the people watching.

Schedule it for 2016, the 20th anniversary of the N64 (wait, really? wow).

Call it "Two Decades of 64" and have half the people doing it be older and half be younger.

Total materials required:

4 big TVs, 48 medium TVs, 0 - 4 Wiis, 48 - 52 Gamecubes, 16 Game Boy Players, 64 - 128 Gamecube controllers, 0 - 64 Game Boy Advances, 16 - 80 GBA-GCN Link Cables, 32 broadband adapters, 32 LAN cables, 4 10BASE-T Hubs, 32 copies of Double Dash, and 4 copies of Four Swords Adventures.  And about 70 gallons of soda.

I'm thinking this would be a very inefficient way to raise money for charity.

Maybe if it was on TV and streaming live, and if all the stuff was donated by Nintendo? And then any of the stuff that wasn't broken would then be donated to Child's Play, and the stuff that was broken could be sold on eBay as memorabilia?

I like that dance pad idea. Could you sort of do something a little like that on the Gamecube with the DDR pad? I think the pads correspond to buttons. You could hold a controller in your hand while on the dance pad and just use the controller for the stick and the pad for the buttons. And I think the DK bongos may have corresponded to buttons too, so with the multi-control on the Game Boy Player, you could do something where you have one person on the pad, one on bongos, and one on a controller, and they all work together. Or just one person with bongos, controller, and pad.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:51:06 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
The dance pad idea was designed around the PS2 simply because that was the circuit I had the easiest access to.  A GCN version shouldn't be too hard.  The whole idea come form using a dance pad to play the NES version of SMB via Animal Crossing on GCN anyway. 

I had a similar bongos idea, but was laughed out of it.  I'd planned on using the dance pad for up, down, left, and right while using the bongos for A and B.  In this design the bongos would have been belted to the gamer and start/select could have been on either controller. 

Anyone else?

Maybe we should make more concrete plans and  develop a Kickstarter project.  My new house will give me many summer jobs, but it be great to have a fun summer project. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »
That.

Is pretty neat.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:45:07 AM »
Someone switch that TV to 4:3 mode.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
If the woman in the second picture has to pause (or do an uppercut in Punchout), do you think she just bashes her head down into the Start button?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
Luigison's dance pad thing is reminding me of this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780bIG6TXFk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780bIG6TXFk</a>

("low-cost healthcare dinosaurs"?)

What about some kind of convention where we play a bunch of games where we just overly complicate the control schemes? A group of people playing Zelda Sixteen Swords (or 64 Swords), a Wizard-style Sonic 2 race except everyone plays on Activators, Super Mario Bros with dance pad and bongos, Dreamcast games played with only the fishing rod controller...

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Make it so. Now.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »
That's what she said

That Makey thing is really interesting, and how innovative! I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't thought of it yet (or maybe they have and weren't ready to share yet..?)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
How do you start or select?

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
Holy crap that table, and holy crap the bananananananas. xD
It's mapped out.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
It would be cool to have that NES controller table in my room, but I'd hate anybody that spilled on my table.
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
What if there was a variation for Minecraft?
You would need:
1 high end gaming computer
1 USB hub if needed
1 large TV
1 keyboard with everything but the W key removed
1 keyboard with everything but the S key removed
1 keyboard with everything but the A key removed
1 keyboard with everything but the D key removed
1 keyboard with everything but the E key removed
1 keyboard with everything but the shift key removed
1 mouse with everything but the optical sensor removed
1 mouse with everything but the scroll wheel removed
1 mouse with everything but the right button removed
1 mouse with everything but the left button removed
10 people
1 premium Minecraft account
Less people, but more teamwork required. And the mice that only have one button don't have a sensor.

Print