Print

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U and 3DS  (Read 145152 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
Also, everybody knows that every character totally steals a spot on the roster from somebody else, and I'm getting huge No Geno vibes from this chick

I don't know, Konami and Sega aren't credited in the copyrights at the end of both trailers, so they could be taking out Snake and Sonic. (or they just don't have the rights yet)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
I'll be pretty surprised if Sonic's out, with Nintendo publishing Lost World. Snake being gone wouldn't be surprising, but it would be sad.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »
I doubt either one's gone. It makes good business sense between Nintendo and SEGA for Sonic, Sakurai and Kojima being on good terms for Snake... Mega Man eliminates any doubt I had, my only thought being that maybe only Brawl would have guest characters.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
Sakurai himself said it's based on her Other M model. -___-
Exactly.  More cartoony, as compared to the Prime-resembling model from the last game.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
I doubt either one's gone. It makes good business sense between Nintendo and SEGA for Sonic, Sakurai and Kojima being on good terms for Snake... Mega Man eliminates any doubt I had, my only thought being that maybe only Brawl would have guest characters.

But see, then it wouldn't be Nintendo Brawl. That's the point, isn't it?
Now with grandeur.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
I believe the full title is Super Smash Bros. Brawl but I have been known to make mistakes from time to time
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
I believe the full title is Super Smash Bros. Brawl but I have been known to make mistakes from time to time

I'm sorry. I thought the premise of the game was to promote Nintendo, not Sega. I mean, it's not like its on the PS3 or something. Nintendo makes their own games, and they choose what they want in their games. They're not going to invite half the characters of Ubisoft.
Now with grandeur.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
They have altered the premise.  Pray they do not alter it further.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
Sakurai himself said it's based on her Other M model. -___-
I *thought* that armor looked curvier... hopefully she won't have to get Adam's permission to do a taunt.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
I'm sorry. I thought the premise of the game was to promote Nintendo, not Sega. I mean, it's not like its on the PS3 or something. Nintendo makes their own games, and they choose what they want in their games. They're not going to invite half the characters of Ubisoft.

1. The premise of the game is to have a bunch of characters people like beat the snot out of each other.

2. No, but Sonic isn't a PS3-exclusive character. Nor is Mega Man.

3. No, but they didn't invite half of SEGA's, Konami's or Capcom's characters either.

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:56 AM »
I mean, "character", "popular", and "franchise" are generous terms, but there's no argument there that couldn't be used against several other characters.
Generous terms?

Worldwide copies of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus sold: 43.53 million

Worldwide copies of Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold: 11.49 million

( As of March 31, 2013 )

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
"Popular" is the only term you've really addressed there, which is also misleading since the demographics of the two sales figures may or may not actually overlap at all - Brawl being a game for long-time or at least more-than-cursory fans of Nintendo; Wii Fit being a glorified daily exercise tool.  One of these appeals to a wide market beyond those people who would actually give a rip about who's in the next Super Smash Bros. game, as demonstrated in this very thread as well as across the web in general following the announcement.  "Popular" in sales means nothing if no one looking forward to SSB4 really cares about it.  Obviously there has been some positive reception to this as well as negative, but 'most every fan seems to agree that there are about a hundred and one characters who need to be up for inclusion first.

Her value as a "character" is really next to nil.  Most of the representatives taking the stage in SSB have some semblance of nuance, personality, or expression; whereas the Trainer is literally meant to be a mostly-devoid of personality robot in the form of a visually appealing woman who can give simple tips and coach whoever's on the balance board.  Mario has never had much development as a character but he does have an interesting design and is usually quite expressive.  The red cap alone is iconic enough that it's used as... well, an icon.  In contrast, I wonder how many people watching the reveal trailer would have known who Wii Fit Trainer is at first glance without being explicitly told?

"Franchise" is pretty generous for a character with one and a half games to her name.  This isn't a huge deal in light of characters like the Ice Climbers and R.O.B. making it in, but the majority of characters in Smash can boast of at least a couple games in their respective sources, and I think the lack of being part of a long-standing series is part of the "wait, what?" reaction I'm seeing to the Trainer.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
cartoon characters

Cartoons? pretty sure they haven't been on the saturday morning block since the 80s.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Cartoons? pretty sure they haven't been on the saturday morning block since the 80s.

If graphics were better they would be.
Now with grandeur.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
If they had grandeur they would be.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Print