Print

Author Topic: 2ds  (Read 9568 times)

« on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Sure is goofy-looking.

It's not a bad idea though. When I was six years old I had a Game Boy Color and the worst things that happened to it were that I lost the battery cover and it got kinda dirty. The thing was a solid brick when it came to integrity. Nintendo's handhelds today have more potential to get wrecked, with their hinges and whatnot. To try and go for that again, with the version of the 3DS that doesn't have the feature six-year-olds are advised against using altogether, makes sense.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:10:12 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
My only real complaint upon hearing about this was that it sorta does away with the ability to carry it in your pockets easily. Then I thought about it for a minute, and realized that one couldn't really carry the first Game Boy in their pockets easily either, which really didn't hinder it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
APRIL FOO--

oh
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
It's got a dumb name, but it's a neat idea. Younger gamers don't need 3DSs anyway, since it can ruin their eyesight. Given, you can turn off the 3D, but who's to say the kid doesn't discover how to do that and turn it back on (the parental controls don't seem to help in this case, as I've tried them out, but that's a rant for another time..)

I like the idea of a cheaper DS that plays everything. As long as it can do things like Streetpass and such too..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Yes, the 2DS seems very capable; not like that watered down Wii I heard Canada got recently.

I don't even mind the design, especially considering the target audience... but YouTube and other online communities are having a field day with it.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »
I'm just waiting for the 11DS. Or the 1DS.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
The kids who get this are never going to figure out that one puzzle in Phantom Hourglass.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 04:07:17 AM »
Or Trace Memory. Or The World Ends With You.

(They're also not too likely to play any of those games in the first place, since they're all last-gen titles that cost more than a couple dollars each for used copies.)

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
I wonder how Nintendo or the system will handle situations like that..

* Toad imagines people playing those games, attempting to solve those puzzles by actually slamming a 2DS into a table

* Toad cringes
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
"Over 13-million people are dead or missing after most of Tokyo, Japan was sucked into a miniature black hole last night as a result of Nintendo's attempt to develop a "0DS" game system."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
I never would've thought that the amount of kids/people who can't handle hinges and/or are gonna get eye-buggered by glasses-free 3D was a lucrative-enough untapped market, but I suppose that's why I'm not a business major.

Here's my question, though: if there's no clamshell structure anymore, why not shorten the divide between the screens even more, or make it into one big vertical display?

Quote from: Reggie Fils-Amie
We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
ShadowBrain is closest to correct, methinks.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
Or the 1DS.

Wouldn't the 1DS just be a normal DS (ie: DS generation 1, aka Phat DS)?

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
But the real question is, why can't it even fold?
Relics.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
Kids would snap it in half.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
It's a sign of things to come.  Think, Nintendo combines the old GBA form with the newer iPad form.  Look up my post correctly predicting the Wii U controller to see what I mean. 

I suspect the next iteration will not fold and be an amalgam of the Wii U and 2DS with a throwback and a new feature.  Maybe they'll go back to 3D or analog triggers and/or add something cheap and new like GPS, head/eye tracking, or a vitality sensor.  Remind me when we a closer to a new handheld and I'll try to make a better prediction. 

Edit:  To save searching:  http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=13669.msg597805#msg597805  Also, remind me when I have had the appropriate amount of prognosticary liquid. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:02:24 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
Also, if you drop it it'll be less likely to break apart.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
they are repairing the second pillar

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
I hope they don't get rid of folding. I'll never get any StreetPasses (if they still do that next generation) if it's a 7-inch tablet that can't fit in a pocket. The only time I get StreetPasses is when I'm at work.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
I've received exactly four StreetPasses since getting the 3DS.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 12:23:16 AM »
It's actually one giant screen, partially covered up by the shell to look like the 3DS screens. Knowing this, the chain of logic behind the design of this thing is perhaps more clear:

We need a super cheap version of the 3DS --> One screen is cheaper to produce than two + 2D screen is cheaper than 3D --> all 2D and no hinge

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
One giant screen with the bottom being  a touchscreen? So is the top also a touchscreen covered in glass but with no sensors?
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »
yee. you read him. all on screen, covered by plastic to make it look like two. touch sensors are covered up on top.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
This is just a cheap marketing technique
My mind is telling me no... My body is telling me no too, just so you know.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »
How is releasing an entire system a "marketing technique"?

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
The parts of the screen covered up by the plastic show ads for the Wii U

Print