Print

Author Topic: Creeping Graphical Sameyness  (Read 40332 times)

« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
A trend towards graphical sameyness is also noticable when comparing Super Mario 64 N64 to Super Mario 64 DS. I'm posting a comparison of Bowser's appearance and the Boos and Boss Basses were changed to their usual looks in the DS version.

Note that concept art of Bowser from that era makes him resemble something akin to the DS version with darker skin, so that's less graphical sameyness and more that the N64 models could be a bit crude.
Relics.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
I do think there's a certain charm to the crappy early 3D graphics. It's hard to tell sometimes how much of the creeping sameyness is due to better graphic hardware -- they have enough polygons now that they don't have to decide which features of the characters to represent and which ones to leave out or make less detailed, which kind of had the effect of different art styles even if they weren't intentionally doing different art styles.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:51 AM »
Bowser's shell is smooth in the concept art, but has a pattern on it in the game. How would esrly 3D graphics explain this? How does early 3D graphics explain sunglasses on a fish?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2016, 05:39:13 AM »

At a glance, I recognize those flowers. I am comforted. This is Mario. Mario will not betray or hurt or take advantage of me
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 12:37:10 AM »
Wow. I forgot how different many of the games were in terms of their aesthetics. I guess by making them more accurate to the source, they made them less interesting?

Of course, if you ask me, I would point out to Miyamoto and his group not giving a [darn] anymore.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2016, 07:12:30 AM »
I don't think it's that. I'm sure there's a reason behind their decision to have every outside team follow the exact same style guidelines, but nobody seems to know exactly what that reason is, and nobody's thought to ask about it during any interviews with the likes of Miyamoto, Tezuka, or someone else who is working or has worked on a Mario game.

I figured maybe the reason previous games all looked wildly different is because Nintendo didn't really have any style guidelines, and only recently did they decide to come up with some.

But that's just a hunch, and the real reason could easily be something wildly different.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
I figured maybe the reason previous games all looked wildly different is because Nintendo didn't really have any style guidelines, and only recently did they decide to come up with some.
The implications of this would account for quite a bit - in addition to just aesthetics - in more recent Nintendo games.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2016, 07:00:46 AM »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
That must be the 20th time I've seen that image since the Direct.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »
Heh, just noticed it was posted in the PM:CS thread too.

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2016, 07:50:38 PM »

Yeah, Miyamoto wanted to limited the cast to a minimum, thinking people would be attracted to more familiar face. And simplifying characters and plots.

Going by a few articles, he's majority the reason why Nintendo is in just a rut.

Print