Print

Author Topic: Mario Sunshine, Comments and Theories.  (Read 5172 times)

« on: August 23, 2001, 05:10:36 PM »
First off, I would like to re-introduce myself. I have been gone for a loooong time, this summer my grandma had a hip replacement and my mom had her aortic valve replaced. I have been around the baord since day one, but I've been gone so long it seems there is plent of new faces. Hi to y'al!
Ever since Mario Sunshine was first announced (Although accidently...A slip up at nintendo.com)it has been teasing me. Tearing at my mind...But now that I know that it's indeed the sequal to Mario 64, i've become quite excited.
Then I learned that there's going to be something new in it that's supposed to be really nifty, although Miyamoto wouldn't fully comment on it. Some sort of jetpack looking thing with some type of ray gun. There was also the mysterious sunshine coins. It's slated for a relase of next summer. Appearntly it's very important to Miyamoto have it realesed in the summer, due to it's name.
Perhaps, the Jetpack like thing absorbes the energy of the sun to give mario powers (I don't know, like perhaps the jetpack thing when energized enough will allow you to jump higher, etc) and that the Sun coins power up the jetpack like thing.
That's all I've gotta say right now. Highschool is about to start, so you might not get to see the good ol' chocoboster that much. Don't get the time I'd like too..Otherwise I'd be on everyday of course. Ciao.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2001, 05:34:42 PM »
I'm jsut wondering if Bowser will be the main boss in the game. I mean, in Paper Mario, it showed some hints that maybe Bowser will never be bad again. But i think Bowser will still be the main bad gu ybecasue they'd never get rid of someone important like Bowser! But still...

I''m the leader of the Koopa Bros.We''re hip and cool and uh... we like bacon
I''m the leader of the Koopa Bros.We''re hip and cool and uh... we like bacon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2001, 08:26:17 PM »
Hey Chocobo...the creator of the famous Mario Word Association. I wasn't around in your time but I posted the 500th post on the MWA!!! Heh. Not that that means anything.

Anyway, I've been following the whole Mario Sunshine and Zelda saga. It seems to me from the video I downloaded that Mario is wearing that device for water. This was a theory on igncube.com and seems to make sense. Mario's in the desert, there's little water, he gets thirsty. That's my theory.

Although this is a Mario board, what's everyone think about how Zelda for da Cube turned out? It seems to be the opposite of the more 'mature' theme Nintendo was going for. It looks cool though. You really need to see the video before you pass judgement (get it on ign).

I'm actually confident in the Gamecube selling (as long as they don't make all models PURPLE!!!), because Nintendo as a game developer can focus on the less mature games like they always do, and leave that element to their 2nd and 3rd party developers. Plus, I don't think all older gamers need to buy ALL mature rated games. If thats the case, then you're a seriously messed up gamer and should go with a friggen' PS2!

The gamecube is going to have all types of games, and if you're not going to buy it because of the lack of M rated games, than that's your problem. Plus, there will be more eventually (only Eternal Darkness will be there at launch), so you can wait a few months to get back in touch with your primal erges for lust and blood. Word.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2001, 08:41:16 PM »
The ray gun/jet pack thing looks suspiciously like Luigi's ghost-sucker-upper from Luigi's Mansion. And also, Mario games are getting too easy. For Super Mario Bros. 1, it took me from 1989 till just today to beat it. I still haven't beaten 2 or 3, and I beat Paper Mario in a week!

It's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, it's a matter of common sense! (half empty or half full?)

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2001, 08:42:30 PM »
I agree kamek, I don't understand why people run away from a system when alot of there games are E. Kids play video games to, and now adays it seems that nintendo is the only company that realises it. I mean its E, that doesn't mean its JUST for kids. it's EVERYONE.

"I'll never look back, I''ve got no regrets. 'Cause time doesn''t wait for me...I choose to go my own way." - Sonic the Hedgehog
"I''ll never look back, I''''ve got no regrets. ''Cause time doesn''''t wait for me...I choose to go my own way." - Sonic the Hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2001, 09:06:03 PM »
I was incredibly disappointed by Zelda's GameCube showing.  It's amazing how The Legend of Zelda can go from dark, moody, meaningful and grown-up to cheesey and cartoony in just one game.  I think Miyamoto was afraid he wouldn't be able to match the expectations of the two beautiful, classic N64 Zeldas and decided to aim significantly lower with GameCube.  Either that, or Nintendo wanted to be hip and trendy and decided to jump on the cel-shaded bandwagon.  Either way, I won't be buying this Looney Tunes-flavored Zelda game.

This is just another episode in Nintendo's long-running series, "Crap Up Everything billy chilly Loves."  Here are the past episodes:

-Nintendo turns Slippy into a high-pitched nerd and gives 80% of the cast of StarFox 64 horrible voices.
-Yoshi's Island is followed up by Yoshi's Story.
-The Metroid license is handed over to a rookie company that can't get their act together, let alone produce the next installment of a classic series.
-Metroid Prime is announced to be a First Person Shooter.

Now there is PowerPuff Zelda.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2001, 09:30:40 PM »
From what I've seen, Mario Sunshine looks. . .um. . .well. . .odd. What in the world does our favorite plumber have to do with the Solar System's star? Well, odd as it is, if Mario Sunshine does have good and challenging gameplay, I'm certainly going to purchase it. I love the idea of a Mario game for the Gamecube, as its 128 bit graphics and advanced technology will probably make Mario Sunshine far superior to that of previous games, at least graphic and design-wise. I guess I have high hopes for Mario Sunshine, I certainly hope its good. As for Mario's jetpack, it does look a lot like Luigi's ghost sucker in Luigi's Mansion. My theory is that Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion are somehow linked to each other in gameplay. Perhaps (like Pokemon Red and Blue) MS and LM are alternate versions of each other, and you need both games to get the real ending. This is all speculative in theory, but its all possible. Anyway, I do have high hopes for the game, even though the things I've seen are quite confusing and odd, and a Mario game for the GC sounds very promising.

This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .
This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2001, 10:16:05 PM »
Bill--actually, Zelda for the Cube was originally gonna be dark and moody. You can download an AWESOME video of it originally on ign.com. It wasn't cell-shaded and looked 20 times as good as Zelda 64. The animation was smooth and it was THE BEST. I admit, I wish they hadn't changed it from that, but still, the new version still looks good. It looks kinda like a 3d version of the original Zelda games.

The clip shows a battle between link and Gannon. Man, they must have spent forever making those character models, and they're not even using them!

And to Dave--I wouldn't expect the MS (wholy crap...the same anitials as Microsoft. That can't be a good sign.) and LM to be linked in any way cuz MS is coming out in 2002 while the other is scheduled to be released on launch.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2001, 10:45:25 PM »
They probably wanted a Zelda title released early and 5 year old cartoon Link was probably a quicker way to do that. They're probably saving their better looking Zelda game for when they have more time.

And just because MS and LM are so far apart doesn't mean they can't be linked. Banjo-Tooie is somehow needed to make an island rise in Banjo-Kazooie and they were released 2 years apart.

It's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, it's a matter of common sense! (half empty or half full?)

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2001, 08:34:48 AM »
I'm a little disapointed with Link's new look and the direction they're heading in, but I think that in the end Mr. Miyamoto will still produce a quality game.
Paper Mario's Parappa esquie (Sp?) graphics made alot of people doubt the quality of the game, but I know I quite thorougly enjoyed it (Okay, it was SUPER EASY but still it was fun.)

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2001, 08:49:34 AM »
The thing on Mario's back is a water container, not a ray gun or anything like that. Mario SUNshine. He needs it cuz he's hot. That's why in the footage he was sweating, and he was standing  under the tree's shade. Also, there are going to be TWO zeda games. The one from Spaceworld wi come much sooner than the one at E3. They are completlly different games. I'm looking forward to both. Athough I'll have to be VERY patient for the darker one.

Edited by - LZ 646 on 8/24/2001 7:52:52 AM
The fool sees himself as a wise man. The wise man sees himself as a fool.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2001, 09:35:31 AM »
Actually I read that they were originally making two games, but Miyomato chose to stick with the cartoon one. They might release the e3 version sometime, though.

A water containter...hey! That's what I said!

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| /
|/
|\ amek2K

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2001, 12:36:29 PM »
I hate to say this, but it doesn't look like nintendo has a very promiseing future in store for them the way things are going. Not relying on thrid party developers ( yep they said 80% of there games are going to be first party, I know nintendo makes the best first party games but still I don't think its enough to rely on a system ), second they promised us nintendo would mature and they come out with a zelda game that looks like its for five year olds. I hope they shape up soon or else PS2 ( X-Box still has no chance in heck of winning either way :) ) will be the winner of this years counsle wars. If Nintendo does win with the way there going i'd gladly eat my own words, actually I hope they prove me wrong but at the same time prove me right by makeing more mature games and relying alittle more on third partys. The gamecube seems to be repeating the same mistake N64 did. I know nintendo doesn't just want to concintrait on the older market, and I'm fine with that, kids play video games to, but they have Mario, Kirby, and Yoshi. Come on at least give us Zelda.

"I'll never look back, I''ve got no regrets. 'Cause time doesn''t wait for me...I choose to go my own way." - Sonic the Hedgehog
"I''ll never look back, I''''ve got no regrets. ''Cause time doesn''''t wait for me...I choose to go my own way." - Sonic the Hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2001, 04:33:27 PM »
I just saw the video at ign.com and I nearly burst out laughing. with the haiwaian-style mario music and the giant plant and mario smacking the sweat off his head, i'd give it a ten out of ten for comedic value.

and Sonic, both Link and Zelda are in SSBM.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2001, 11:20:12 PM »
Personally, Mario Sunshine looks like a phunky hybrid of Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario 64.

I really like two of the ideas that are being thrown around--LM and MS being compatible with one another and Mario's backpack serving as a Water-0-Matic, hence Mario SUNshine.  I'd love to see both of these ideas implemented, but I can't help but wish Nintendo would give us some classic Super Mario gameplay.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

Print