Print

Author Topic: Nintendo hopes to make a comeback with the GameCube, but can they do it?  (Read 1660 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: July 14, 2002, 02:33:23 PM »
After the low-par success of the N64, Nintendo needed to desperately make a comeback, so they created GameCube to meet the demands of a next-generation DVD/CD-ROM console. But did their efforts pay off, or is GameCube a failure like the N64 due to lack of faith in the company?

Niether. The GameCube has had a more successful life than the N64 did in it's first day of launch. There are many reasons for this, but I will explain the most important ones.

1. GameCube was Nintendo's answer to the success of the PlayStation, Nintendo's biggest competitor. And they hoped that if the GameCube was designed to be more like the PlayStation [which is isn't, sadly] then Nintendo would once again reclaim their fame and respect from many of their PlayStation-converted fans.

2. GameCube has had a successful launch, but just because a system has a great launch, doesn't mean it will last. Look at the Dreamcast for instance--SEGA put all of their heart and talent into creating that system, and although it broke the sales record previously held by Sony, it failed miserably in the long run.

3. GameCube was released next to Microsoft's X-Box. Obviously, not many people were eager to trust Microsoft's first entry into the console market, so they instead went for GameCube--with whom people had the most respect for in terms of games.

4. Nintendo has had great success in the past when they released systems...all that changed once the N64 came out. Many people were repelled by it's childish look and small library of mostly "childrens" games. So obviously, Nintendo needed something big to push aside the fear and doubt many people had against them.

5. How can someone learn to trust a company that has betrayed us time and time again with promises of a new era of gaming, when we are constantly being bombarded with old remakes of classic games?

I would like your opinions on this subject.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 05:06:40 PM »
I dont think the N64 was that bad really, it's one of my favorite systems. It may have had some seemingly childish games like Super Smash Bros. or Paper Mario but both of those games where great. But oh well, your entitled to your beliefs.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 04:25:53 PM »
I like my N64!  It kind of stinks that now the only place you can find N64 games is at used game stores like FUncoland.  Because i mean tons of people still have it and play it!!!!!  I don't think N64 was a total failure, but obviously it had greater expectations.

Not many people i know have GameCube. Actually i don't know a soul that has it. I also don't own it, so i can't really say whether it will help Nintendo or not.  

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 01:41:31 PM »
I never said I disliked the N64 [I have one, and I play it all the time; but right now I stopped playing it because my controller broke]. I just said that in THE PUBLIC'S OPINION the N64 didn't excell in the expectations Nintendo had for it. That's why it didn't do as well as it could've [only if it had a CD-ROM drive instead of bulky cartridges...].

Also, though the PlayStation1 had a huge amount of 3rd-party support, Nintendo was struggling along trying to play "catch-up" because many of their 3rd-party supporters switched over to develop for the PS1.

GameCube will do fine [thank God]. We have already seen one major developer, Capcom, plant a major franchise to be developed EXCLUSIVELY for the GameCube: Resident Evil. That's a big plus for Nintendo fans, since the RE series has been one of the most successful on the PlayStation.

Also, SEGA is lending a big helping hand to the future of Nintendo. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was a huge success, and Super Monkey Ball also did very well in helping to boost GameCube sales.

I just wish N64 had that amount of support... Oh well, it's dead now and there's nothing we can do to revive it.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Print