Print

Author Topic: MMORPGs  (Read 5223 times)

« on: October 03, 2002, 04:14:42 PM »
1. Anyone here played any MMORPGs? If so, which ones and what kind of characters do you have?

OR

2. Think Nintendo will ever make a MMORPG, possibly even (dare I say it) involving Mario?

"Thus Spake Lizard"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 10:56:39 PM »
Umm... what's "MMO" stand for...?
Great. Now I look ignorant, I bet.

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 04:58:22 PM »
 MMORPG stands for "Massive Multiplayer Online RPG"

1) Yes, I have played a few in the past. However, the only one I currently play (I shouldn't say currently as it's down now) is Ragnarok Online. It's based of the Korean Manwha "Ragnarok." The Manwha, or Korean Manga, is based off of the Norse Mythology, as the title gives away. I'm sure many of you know that the Ragnarok is the end of the world in Norse Mythology. Alas, I digress.

The type of character I use is a second job class now. I started as a Magician, Mage for short, and now have upgraded to a Wizard. RO is fun, as are many MMORPGs.

2) I highly doubt that Nintendo will ever create a Mario MMORPG, as they even hesitate to move into the Online market. Not to mention Mario really wouldn't work as a MMORPG. But, who knows?

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 11:57:06 PM »
ragnarok= "twilight of the gods" (but some think it may be mistranslated or sumthin), the day the Gods and Giants will clash, the Gods led by Odin, the Giants led by Loki. The day when Fenris will break loose from gleipnir and consume Odin...The day when everything will be destroyed, but started anew...I could go on and on about Norse mythology, but I'll save your time and wont.

a **** GOOD MMORPG is Helbreath. go to www.helbreath.com. The site isnt always up tho...but its a BIIIIIIIGGG game (installer is like 250 megs I think). it could be bigger though. anyone ever heard of Neocron? go check it out at www.neocron.com. its installer is over a gig!

a fun little mmorpg I sometimes play is Continuum. dont ask where you get it from, cuz Im not sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

you really dont know, do you??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 12:07:42 AM »
Actually, Black Mage, you shouldn't say you're "currently" doing anything. It's improper grammar. You can "currently" be somewhere, but if you're doing something, "currently" is redundant.

That was a joke.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 11:49:04 AM »
Chupperson Weird: You are correct. I used "currently" incorrectly, thank you for pointing it out.

smb allstars master: Heh, another Norse buff. All of that is correct, and very interesting. Although I do not have the details as memorized as you, which I commend, I have read a few books about it, and have read a few variations of the story. Although I do not believe in Norse, it's really very interesting. I suggest anyone who's interested to go and take a look at some.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 02:16:49 PM »
actually, what originally got me interested in Norse Mythology, was an entry in an old dictionary I have. it said something about the myth of Loki and his punishment for killing Baldur or Balder or sometimes even Baldr (and not weeping for him, which caused him to remain in Helheim). they bound him to three rocks (one under his knees, one under his loins, and I forget where the other one was) and opened the mouth of a poisonous serpent and placed hit over his face. Loki's wife went down to Helheim and cought each drop of the serpents venom, except when she had to turn and empty her cup, a drop would hit Loki's face, and his trembling would cause an earthquake. (that may not be accurate, thats straight out of memoery). anyway, I then followed up my interest by getting a book called 'The Children of Odin' by Padraic Colum. The book is recommended for grades 5-8, which makes it very easy reading, but it's still a very good introduction to Norse Mythology. however, there are several variations of the myths, so I recommend reading numerous books and papers on the subject. a nice little online place to get some brief info is http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html

Black Mage, what was it that got you interested in Norse Mythology? was it (predicting from your name) the frequent references to it in ff games?

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Edited by - smb allstars master on 10/5/2002 1:33:40 PM

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2002, 07:01:31 PM »
 Ah, that is an excellent site. However, I couldn't find anything on Skuld, Urd, and Verdandi. Besides that it's a nice site.

Hmmm, what got me interested in Norse Mythology? Well it'd have to be a combination of things. Yes, the Final Fantasys have probably played a role. The others would be a class I took in highschool about mythology, one of which was Norse, Anime such as "Oh! My Goddess" and the Manwha Ragnarok, and later, Ragnarok Online. But, by the time RO came out, I already had learned about Norse mythology, so I can't really say it helped get me interested.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »
hmmmmm....never even heard of those three before...guess I'll have to read s bit more. but a picture I found on the net had a caption featuring those three names... the picture can be found at http://www.wagnermania.com/Mitos/imagenes/15/Urdhr.jpg

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2002, 08:22:49 PM »
I know some about Norse mythology due to Marvel comics. You'd be surprised how accurate "Thor" is... unless you already know.

That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2002, 08:50:33 PM »
wuh? are you talking about a comic book called "the mighty thor"? (dont ask, I saw it at a friends house one day...I dont even think its marvel...I really dont know what im talkin bout...)

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2002, 03:23:44 PM »
"Try new MMORPGs topic! Now 80% topic free!"

:P

"Thus Spake Lizard"

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 07:42:32 PM »
 Heh, nice way to put it Lizard. We have been going a bit off topic, eh?

Hmm, lets see what other MMORPGs there are.

Priston Tale is one. Although I've heard it's not so great.

Shining Lore is another, but I believe they already chose their first wave of Beta testers.

Um... then there are the well known ones, like Everquest and the Diablos.

There are plenty if you look.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 08:43:29 PM »
sorry, that was mostly my fault.

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 09:31:18 PM »
Yeah, it's usually "The Mighty Thor"... It's usually a pretty good book.

That was a joke.

Print