Print

Author Topic: Brand new, redesigned Game Boy Advance!  (Read 2438 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 08, 2003, 10:45:56 AM »
Nintendo has just revealed a brand new, redesigned, smaller version of Game Boy Advance, called Game Boy Advance-SP. It looks like a Game Boy Pocket, but is much sleeker in design.

The article, taken from Nintendo.com, is posted below.

Edgy New Game Boy Advance SP Takes Portable Game Play Anywhere
Jan/06/03 12:00 PST

New illumination feature and sleek flip-screen design making it the most distinctively stylish, compact and portable Game Boy system ever

NEW YORK, Jan. 7, 2003 – The biggest star in the history of video games is getting even brighter. Nintendo of America Inc. today announces the introduction of Game Boy® Advance SP, a redesigned version of the wildly popular Game Boy Advance. The system has a new illumination feature and sleek flip-screen design making it the most distinctively stylish, compact and portable Game Boy system ever.

The Game Boy Advance SP will become an instant "must-have" gadget when it launches in North America March 23, 2003, for an estimated retail price of $99.95. It will launch in two colors: cobalt (metallic) and platinum.

Building on the significant improvements and refinements already introduced in the current Game Boy Advance, the new Game Boy Advance SP features a revolutionary Front Light Screen making game play easy in any lighting condition. The system is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery good for about 10 hours of game play and takes only three hours to recharge. Amazingly, the battery life increases to approximately 18 hours of continuous play when the Front Light Screen is turned off.

All current and future Game Boy Advance games are compatible with the new system. And, similarly, Game Boy Advance SP is backward compatible, allowing use with virtually all games and accessories previously released in the Game Boy line.

"Both Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP reflect the best the video game market has ever seen in hand-held gaming," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "For those who must have the latest in technology and edgy design, Game Boy Advance SP delivers the ultimate in portable gaming."

Nintendo will continue to manufacture and market its current, successful Game Boy Advance system, which has now sold-through more than 11.5 million units in North America alone since its launch a little more than a year ago.

Since its introduction in 1989, Nintendo’s portable Game Boy line has sold more than one-half billion games worldwide, delivering a depth and quality of game play far beyond that offered by any other portable electronics device, such as Personal Digital Assistants (PDA’s) or mobile phones.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 09:53:10 PM »
I didn't think Nintendo would stoop to using gimmicks. I don't really think the GBASP will sell well, judging from my own experience, there's no reason to buy a second GBA. Although, if Sony and Xbox can make it with gimmicks (like those stoopid colored PS2s), I suppose Nintendo can give it a shot...

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 1/8/2003 7:54:34 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 05:50:13 AM »
It's not really so much a gimmick as it is an improvement. They took the biggest flaw the gba has and they improved it and gave the gba an overall.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 08:13:53 AM »
GBA-SP is a notable improvement over the original GBA... Nintendo has given the fans what they want with Game Boy hardware, a light screen.

The GBA-SP version is basically a brand new Game Boy, think of it as an enhancement on an existing hardware. That's basically what it is.

That's what the Game Boy Pocket was, an enhancement on the original Game Boy.
---------------------------------------------
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 12:28:07 AM »
But you can't play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble properly, though! And I already have a Worm Light! And the L & R buttons on the GBASP are too small! (Okay, not really, but it seems that way to me.)
And as for gimmicks, I was referring to the cell-phone type design and such.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 08:34:16 AM »
Oh, I never thought of Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble. You could play the game properly depending on how you hold the Game Boy Advance SP.

The L and R buttons may be a bit too small, but have you even held the unit yet? If not, then how can you make an opinion on how the system will feel in your hands?

I like the new flip-screen disign of the GBA-SP. It gives the system a more professional look. So what if it looks like a cell-phone? The GameCube is shaped like a cube, and it's still a fine piece of technological hardware!

Wait until the GBA-SP is playable in the U.S., then you can make opinions on the system.

Worm Light? Nintendo's whole reason for creating the GBA-SP was so you don't need those rediculous 3rd-party accessories! The built-in light screen is a much better solution to the Game Boy Advance than using an add-on light that connects to the link cable port.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 1/10/2003 6:42:24 AM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 11:48:01 PM »
It works fine for me...

But what was your point about the shape? The cube is an original design for a game system.

In the first place, my point was that I'm not gonna spend my money on another GBA that has exactly the same capabilities as the one I already have. I rarely even use a light, as I don't usually play at night out of my house.
Plus, the GBA-SP doesn't have a headphone jack.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 1/10/2003 9:51:45 PM
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 01:04:34 PM »
UPDATED INFORMATION:

Nintendo has announced that they will release two new sequels with the Game Boy Advance-SP:

Super Mario Advance 4 (?Super Mario Bros. 3?)
Advance Wars 2

These titles are sure to be big hits, seeing as how the original Advance Wars game was very popular, and previous titles of the Super Mario Advance series have been big-sellers!

More information soon, as soon as Nintendo updates their Nintendo.com site.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2003, 10:12:33 PM »
Huh. I thought NOJ's site would have told by now, but it doesn't.
That was a joke.

Print