Print

Author Topic: Gameheadz  (Read 2780 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: April 17, 2003, 10:21:15 AM »
Did anyone catch the "Gameheadz" video game documentary on TLC last night? It was basically a movie of the book "Game Over" by David Scheff, crunched down to an hour. That's not to say it wasn't good. However, I was disappointed that they talked over what little they showed of Miyamoto playing the Mario theme on his guitar. :(

If you missed it, they re-ran it at midnight (Central time), so they'll probably rerun it a few more times this month. Check your local listings, because I can't find mine. They probably have a schedule on their website too.

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 11:07:06 AM »
Yes, it was pretty interesting, I try to catch Miyamoto on TV whenever I can, like when on Extended Play (on TechTV) he was talking about the Wind Waker.
 n/a

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 01:17:52 PM »
I wasn't able to watch it last night, so I recorded it. If I remember to, I'll post any thoughts I have about it once I see it. Seeing as I watched about half of The Adventures of Mario and Luigi and didn't follow up by saying something about it in one of its topics, the outlook isn't exactly good. We'll see.

According to both my local listings and TLC's, Gameheadz will be airing again on Sunday afternoon (3:00 P.M. PDT).

I posted in BORED!! With a pinch of salt.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 12:10:58 AM »
It was also similar to the book "High Score!" by two dudes who I forgot their names.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 12:24:00 AM »
Woohoo! I still have a chance to watch it!  ...Wait, that's on Easter, huh? Oh well. I'll be able to catch it. (I'd better.)

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 01:07:16 PM »
I watched "Gameheadz" late last night (Thursday). Having read neither "Game Over" nor "High Score!", I learned many interesting things from it. It was neat to see how video games got started so long ago. Actually, it was longer ago than I had thought; I was unaware that the video game rage in the U.S. started with Atari, died down, and then came back again.

My favorite parts of the show are, without question, the ones that feature Mr. Miyamoto. This is the first time I've seen or heard any more of him than still photographs. For the master of video games that he is acclaimed to be, Miyamoto received a surprisingly small portion of the show, I thought. Also, like Deezer said, the way they talked over his guitar playing made it hardly "a highlight" of the show. I frankly couldn't make out even one note from the SMB theme.

When do you guys suppose that "Gameheadz" was made? TLC's web site says, "This film reveals moments in computer game history, and points to the future." The show didn't even make it to the SNES, as if that was still in the future. I'm sure it must be newer than that, though. What I should do is check the credits of my recorded version for the production date.

Oh, and one more thing: does Miyamoto speak English? I was surprised when he opened his mouth and started speaking Japanese. After reading so many interviews with him that are printed in English, I just assumed that he can speak both languages. Now I don't know.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm almost certain he does. But honestly, if you knew 2 languages (Mine being English and and some Spanish), wouldn't YOU rather speak in your native tongue?

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 10:31:18 PM »
No, I don't believe he does speak English. At least, not very well. I could hear the parts of the SMB theme that they showed, but it just wasn't very much.
Personally, I'd rather speak Japanese than English. I find English to be a clumsy, unnecessarily cumbersome language.

They should just do a documentary about Shiggy and nobody else. That would be really cool.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 4/18/2003 9:33:04 PM
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2003, 11:18:07 PM »
There is someone I know who has met Mr. Miyamoto. I think I'll ask him whether the luminary speaks much English.

"I find English to be a clumsy, unnecessarily cumbersome language."

I'm going to wait until I know another language before I say that.

"They should just do a documentary about Shiggy and nobody else."

This brought up memories in mind of my favorite Rare characters (because I read "Shiggy" and automatically thought "Jiggy"). I agree with the statement, though. Some of my disappointment in "Gameheadz" my have come from the fact that a Miyamoto-focused show was what I really wanted.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 09:36:17 PM »
Oh, Sapphira, I forgot to reply to your post.

Thinking that Miyamoto speaks both English and Japanese, I was expecting him to speak English because he was being interviewed for an American show. Why talk in Japanese to an English-speaking audience if you have the option of speaking English instead? That was how I saw it.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 05:49:37 PM »
Hey, Watoad. How's it going? Heh, heh . . .

In the March 14th mailbag someone asked, "Can Shigeru Miyamoto speak English?" Deezer's reply: "A little."

I never got around to e-mailing the guy I said I'd e-mail, and now I no longer need to.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 07:22:18 PM »
I'm guessing he can speak about as much English as I can speak Japanese. Or maybe a little more...
That was a joke.

Print