Print

Author Topic: GBA SP:An epic tale of joy and despair  (Read 7403 times)

« on: April 20, 2003, 12:35:58 AM »
April 17, 2003 -
I got my $193 tax return slip in the mail yesterday. As soon as I tore the envelope open I heard a distant cry... There was no mistaking that sound: It was a platinum GBA SP far off in the distance, waiting to be liberated from it's cardboard box..
Today I leave.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:26:25 AM

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 12:52:19 AM »
April 17(later), 2003 -
Seems they're sold out all over the country and new shipments aren't expected to arrive until early may - one of Nintendo's little marketing tricks to build demand I guess... They're always so coy with their fans.
None the less, I will continue my search tomorrow undeterred.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:24:57 AM

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 01:04:52 AM »
April 18, 2003
I received an anonymous tip today that K-Mart*shudder* had several GBA SPs still in stock..
Certain of my victory over whatever it is that's always out to make my life miserable, I stopped at the local Electronics Boutique and bought two games : Yoshi's Island ($30) and Warioland4 ($20), both titles of which were recommended to me by fellow friend and XLT playboy Jay Worth. After leaving the store, I made my way to K-Mart where, upon entering, I was rendered aghast : Humans with blue sweatpants and moustaches roamed freely and without shame.  Corpulent women with bleached hair and pink fanny packs bickered in the aisles. Off in the distance a pack of juggalos had managed to tear open a bag of Hershey's kisses and were pelting them at each other like savages. It was as if the store were some sort of wretched haven for the town's lowlifes and halfbreeds. I felt as if I were a prince amongst lepers. I finally managed to locate the GBA SPs without coming into direct contact with any of the noxious automated filth previously described and went to fetch the section attendant. It was at that instant that an indescribable horror dawned upon me. After acquiring the 2 games, my total allocated funds had been brought down to $107 and 25 cents. The state tax in New York is 7% and, as is well known, the new Gameboy model costs a teeth-gnashing $100.. That makes the purchase price around $107. "No problem" I thought to myself, "covered and then some".  Alas, for some reason unbeknownst to any mortal man I was informed that K-Mart had decided to sell their SPs at $110.  Was I hallucinating? Was it a mistake? Surely it was a mistake. Unfortunately I was allowed neither comfort nor console. How quickly I was brought to my knees.. After pleading with the manager for 10 minutes to no avail I retreated to the parking lot where I hurled a shopping cart through the windshield of a Toyota pickup truck.
Now I am home, typing out this pathetic and most grevious account in a vain attempt to reverse my waning faith in mankind and perhaps gain some sympathy...
Dear brothers, I implore you, help me to my feet.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:32:39 AM

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 01:13:59 AM »
April 19, 2003
My mom made me mollasses cookies today and I managed to squeeze $7 out of my little brother's piggy bank so my morale is back up.
Tonight I return to that squallid den of iniquity... defeat is not an option.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 01:16:55 AM »
April 19(later), 2003
CERTAIN of my sucess today, I strolled in around 5:00 with a pair of sun glasses and a confident smile.
"I'm sorry, we just sold out 5 minutes ago".  > _ < !!!
I was beside myself.
Someone is going to pay. If I don't have one by monday night, you're going to hear my name on the news.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:43:20 AM

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm new by the way, sorry for not introducing myself earlier.  My name is Gabriel Klau.  I'm 19 years old and live in a rural part of western New York.  I own a Gamecube and soon, if God has mercy, a GBA.

Favorite Nintendo games :
- Zelda: Wind Waker(Gamecube)
- Pikmin(Gamecube)
- Mario 64(Nintendo 64)
- Secret of Mana(SNES)
- Donkey Kong Country(SNES)
- Tactics Ogre(GBA)
- Metroid II(GB)
- Donkey Kong '94(GB)
- Final Fantasy Adventure(GB)
- Final Fantasy Legend III(GB)
- Mario 3(NES)
- Mario 2(NES)
- River City Ransom(NES)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 10:41:09 AM »
 Hey, welcome to the boards. I'm glad to see another person joining.

From reading the title of your topic and the first 'entry,' I guess you could say, I knew what was going to happen. Life is cruel, eh? However, couldn't you have reserved one, via "Lay-away" or something upon your first visit? Or does K-Mart not have something like that? Either way, I'm sorry that you didn't get your GBA SP, but hey, good luck.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 04:15:55 PM »
"However, couldn't you have reserved one, via 'Lay-away' or something upon your first
visit?"

Please, don't add insult to injury.
Help me take my mind off of it..  What are some of your favorite games?  Is that okay to discuss here?  I'm running on an ancient machine and it takes forever to navigate the message board.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 06:46:52 PM »
Eh-heh, salt to the wounds, eh? Sorry about that, it wasn't intended.

While, this shouldn't be in "Mario Chat," but in "General Chat," you being new, it shouldn't cause much of a problem.

As for discussing other things, I'm sure it'd be alright if you did it in here, however, I think creating another topic, in the appropriate forum, would serve better to take your mind off of things.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 06:50:27 PM »
That, and everyone posts non-Mario things here anyways (*cough Animal Crossing cough*) so it's no big deal. Really.

And welcome to the boards. I like the way you set up your.... "journal" thus far. It's kind of funny. In a cruel way. Sorry if that offended you.... but that was how I received it.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2003, 09:22:13 PM »
Umm... hey. Welcome to the board.
I hope you get your GBA SP.
Interesting story, but did you really smash someone's windshield?

Steve, Animal Crossing IS Mario-related, to a degree.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2003, 10:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'll make sure to post future non Mario-specific threads in the appropriate sections.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 12:39:20 AM »
I welcome you also. Wow! There's 1995 users now! There were only 1964 when I joined less than a month ago. Well, I certainly hope you get your GBA SP soon. Don't worry; you'll get it eventually. I wish you luck...and patience.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 09:39:42 AM »
Hello, hello, hello. (No welcome is complete without CharginChuck, then again, maybe not) :-)

Hope you get your GBA SP.  And get SMA 2 or 3, while you're at it!
 n/a

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 09:39:47 AM »
Hello, hello, hello. (No welcome is complete without CharginChuck, then again, maybe not) :-)

Hope you get your GBA SP.  And get SMA 2 and/or 3, while you're at it!
 n/a

Print