Print

Author Topic: Portable NES  (Read 4833 times)

« on: May 27, 2004, 05:02:19 PM »
I work at a gaming store that sells the a console similar to the Atari 6-in-1 that has everything contained in the controller and plugs right to the TV via A/V. We have two models. The first model comes with a 76-in-1 cart that plugs into a n64 style controller. Second one has 128 NES games built in to a Dreamcast style controller, but still has the cart connector in the back. Board is only slightly larger than the other, but the connector is parallel to the board, rather than perpendicular. Both have a port for the included 2nd player controller/light gun, battery compartment (4AA), DC jack + adapter, A/V cables, and cart connector. 76-in-1 is $45 and 128-in-1 is $50. If you're interested, e-mail me at dudegladstone@gstones.net. I get 75% off most shipping, including international.

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 05:37:49 PM »
Do they have the Nintendo Stamp of Approval?

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
if it did, don't you think you would have heard more about it?

MarlieMoo

• Party Star
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »
Cool, I've never heard of that before.
It's Mario's world, I just live in it. :)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »
Is the cartridge slot NES or Famicom?  I've seen dozens of these Famicom models (I also own a Game Theory Admiral) but I haven't seen any models with a NES slot.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 07:06:31 PM »
famicom. i'm working on finding an easy way to make an adapter. i think i've almost got it. Lik-sang sells it for 9 something and i'm sure ebay has them for cheap.

Edited by - dudegladstone on 5/27/2004 6:52:48 PM

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 08:53:21 AM »
I havent seen any NES models either, but somebodys succeeded:
Portable NES

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!

Edited by - Marionut#1 on 5/28/2004 8:00:08 AM

It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »
the story on that site is hilarious, but enthralling. I hope to read the chapter on theh case soon when he put it up. *drools*

____
What in the Wario is going on here?
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 04:26:25 PM »
Yeah, you can find converters in some old Gyromite and other early NES cartridges.  Anyway, I already have 3 "NES-on-a-chips:" Game Theory Admiral, Super 8 (Tri-Star), and Tri-Star 64, so I don't think I need any more any time soon.  A note of warning: these are really Famicom-on-a-chips and the second controller on the Famicom didn't have start and select buttons (it had a microphone instead).  Because of this, these clones do not have the 2nd player start and select buttons implemented, so any (2-player) NES games you might have that require this will result in you being stuck.  I've only encountered this with one game: Bigfoot.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 08:48:53 PM »
The second player controllers have start and select buttons, at least on the one I bought on ebay years back and the two the store sells.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 09:02:46 PM »
I have played two player on my Tri-Star 64 (before I sold it because of SMRPG) with SNES and N64 games, but never tried on my Famicom or NES (using adaptor) games.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 12:16:05 AM »
So that explains why games like SMB don't have support for controller 2 pausing.

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 01:02:56 AM »
Yeah, the SNES and N64 had the exact same internals worldwide so the second player would work fine in that case.

dudgladstone: they may have the buttons, but have you successfully used them?  I'd be interested to know if they've changed the NES-on-a-chip design.  I can't test my Game Theory Admiral because I haven't seen any of the accessories (i.e. extra controllers) for sale anywhere.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 11:44:11 AM »
Uh, wasn't the "Portable NES" idea already made into the Game Boy Color?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 12:44:49 PM »
Uhhh, I saw one of those at the Mall the other day. Except Mario was Shrek. It was really strange. The levels were exactly the same at SMB, but mario was Shrek, and the koopas were like, well, I don't even know what to call them. It was quite odd inndeed.

Push button...
Receive Bacon!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print