Print

Author Topic: Games you have, but haven't beaten  (Read 8138 times)

n/a

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »
As of now, just SMB3, because I just haven't gotten around to playing it again. I almost always beat a game before even starting to play another. I just beat "Iridion 3-D" a couple days ago. I've had for about a year, but the reason I stopped playing it is that it's this really original game in which you control a space ship thingy and you're uncontrollably moving forward and you have to shoot the other bad spaceships and not let them kill you too much. It comes complete with 7 stages and a boss at the end of each stage! I was rather bored when I picked it up again, so I ended up beating it. I also haven't beaten Mario Party 4 yet, if beating it includes getting every present, because playing like 50 games against three COMs and no actual people loses its interest after a while. For me anyway.

We can learn a lot from crayons. They are different colors and some have funny names but they all live together in the same box.

Edited by - n/a on 6/16/2004 7:29:01 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »
Let's see...

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
F-Zero GX
Super Mario Bros. 3

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 04:24:05 PM »
My brother and I have a lot of video games, about half of which I haven't beaten. I'll just say the main ones:

SNES:
Megaman X
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars + World (I've only beaten SMW)

N64:
Diddy Kong Racing
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I've watched my brother beat it about a dozen times, and never felt compelled enough to see the game through its completion)

PSOne:
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Anthology (I haven't even opened it)
Mega Man X5

GCN:
Animal Crossing (Sorry, that was a joke)
Eternal Darkness
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
Zelda: Collector's Edition (Only beat MM)
Resident Evil

Theere are probably more, but I can't remember them right now.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 03:07:31 PM »
Here's all the games I own, and where I stand on them.

Game&Watch:
Popeye: Can you really beat one of these?

Gameboy:
Donkey Kong GB: Beaten
Donkey Kong Land 2: Like, the 3rd or 4th Area
Game&Watch Gallery: Haven't unlocked anything
Pokemon Blue: Beaten
Mulan: Haven't played, don't plan to, probably should sell it.

SNES:
Super Mario All*Stars + Super Mario World:
-SMB: World 8
-SMB2(Jap): World 2-2
-SMB2: World 3
-SMB3: Ice Land
-SMW: Beginning (I started over)
Super Mario RPG: Beaten

N64:
Super Mario 64: Beaten
LoZ: Ocarina of Time: Beaten
Mario Party: Haven't got Eternal Star yet
Super Smash Bros: Beaten
Pokemon Snap: Beaten
Army Men Sarge's Heroes: Haven't beaten, planning on selling
Toy Story 2: Beaten, planning on selling
Pokemon Stadium: Haven't beaten
Kirby 64: Beaten
Mario Tennis: Have all characters, not all courts
LoZ: Majora's Mask: Beaten
Hey You, Pikachu: Haven't beaten (Is it possible?)
Paper Mario: Beaten
Pokemon Stadium 2: Haven't beaten
Mario Party 3: Haven't beaten

Gameboy Color:
LoZ: Link's Awakening DX: Level 8
SMB Deluxe: World 8
Pokemon Pinball: Haven't beaten
Pokemon TCG: Haven't beaten
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge: Haven't beaten
Pokemon Gold: Beaten
Donkey Kong Country: Area 6 or so
Pokemon Crystal: Beaten
Simpsons Treehouse of Horror: Haven't beaten, planning to sell

Gameboy Advance:
Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Haven't beaten
Sonic Advance: Level 6
LoZ: ALttP/FS: Level 3 in ALttP
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland: Beaten
Fire Emblem: Haven't beaten
Mario & Luigi: Haven't beaten
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: World 5
Legend of Zelda (Classic NES): Just started
e-Reader Pinball, Donkey Kong 3, and Mario Bros: Endless games

Gamecube:
Super Smash Bros. Melee: Beaten, save 3 trophies
Sonic Adventure 2: Beaten Dark Story, not Hero Story
Simpsons Road Rage: Beaten, planning to sell
Super Mario Sunshine: 60-something Shines
Metroid Prime: Can't beat first level
LoZ: OoT Master Quest: Deku Tree
LoZ: Wind Waker: Triforce Chart Deciphering
Mario Kart Double Dash: Beaten
Sonic Mega Collection: Haven't beaten any game (edit: I just remembered that I had beaten Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles when I used to play games at my neighbor's house)
Simpsons Hit & Run: Bart's level
Pokemon Colosseum: The Under

Phew . . . I think that's all of them.

"They say that opposites attract. She''s really something and I''m really nothing. How much more opposite can you get?"- Charlie Brown

Edited by - Red Paratroopa on 6/21/2004 11:24:11 AM
This is a secret coded message.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 03:42:57 PM »
The oddest thing I've seen on this list is many people not having beat the original four or five Mario platformers and the Sonic platformers. Maybe I'm just good at platformers or something, but beating SMB 1-3, SMW, and Sonic 1-3 and Sonic Knuckles takes me like 1-3 hours per game, depending. Heck, I can beat SMB in less than 8 minutes or a Sonic in less than an hour or two.

I get cremulated by puzzle games though, so IS beats me in that respect. And he could probably school me in SMW2:YI. But why am I talking about Insane Steve? Oh yeah. Puzzle games.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
Sorry to top SuperPeach and/or A for uber-bumping, but I was thinking about starting a thread with this exact topic... and decided I should search for an old one first. Lo and behold!

So anyway, I'll be sticking with PS2/3 games that have a story mode I haven't completed for now, since I had today off from school and I've been going systematically through my PlayStation library. However, Mirror's Edge put me off of it for a while. Which reminds me: In somewhat particular order...

Mirror's Edge
Reason: Well, the combat's absolute [dukar], for one--I was stuck for ages on the part in Chapter 6 where you have to vault up to the catwalk and disarm a guy. I finally got past that today, only to get stuck with a capital "S" on the part where you get out of the back of a truck and have to eventually take out some seemingly immortal guy at the end of a hallway. I've been doing some (admittedly rage-fueled) thinking, and in a certain way, this may be the worst game I've ever played, or at least the most disappointing. Why? Because it looks great and has such an innovative gameplay setup, but it squanders it all with disorienting controls (motion-sensing is worthless, by the way) and ridiculous fighting segments. You can't invest yourself in a game based on the exhileration of fluid movement, with a running plot and dialogue, if you're dying and restarting every five seconds (usually because the game decided not to color something important red this time, or made you get gun-slapped to death by a cop). The original Sonic games were frustrating, but at least they were only 2D. A bad game that's just crappy all around is one thing, but when potential like this is mucked up, it's just sad.

Half-Life 2 (The Orange Box)
Reason: I'm positive I *****ed about this before (to no response, but that's understandable), but I'm stuck on the part in Nova Prospect (or however you spell it) where you're supposed to be shooting out those big ships right after you get past the guard towers. To boot, I'm pretty sure I'm stuck in one of those situations where, since you made the mistake of carefully auto-saving at the wrong time, the game basically says "oh well, tough [dukar]" as you attempt to take down a major group of enemies on a minimal reserve of health (which had me stuck on God of War for some time).  I've gotta to be honest, I don't know why so many people apparently like this game--I mean, yeah, even the Orange Box port is kind of old by now, but the graphics are just really drab and samey, the gameplay's fairly repetitive, the vehicle controls are a nightmare (though that may be intentional) and I will never understand Valve's apparent phobia of showing the protagonist's limbs. Yes, I bought it on the PS3, but I doubt that a kickass PC and an updated copy would solve all my problems.

Fallout 3
Reason: ...Intimidation, I guess. A guy I know at school let me borrow it (for some reason, he and/or his brother bought it, despite not owning a PS3), because I had naturally been curious about it for a little while. I got to about where I was running around that first city you go to, and... well, I guess I could strike it up again, but I'm so busy these days that I just don't know how much I could get into it. This is why I also shy away from Bioware and Rockstar stuff--I may turn up my nose at the popularity of weightless "casual games", but the fact of the matter is that I am more prone these days to give Rock Band 3 a quick go instead of Dragon Quest VIII (more on that later). I just don't have as much time to invest in big games as I used to! I mean, a really long Zelda would be one thing, but from what I've seen so far, there's an element to games like this that would leave me totally lost if I even took a week or two "off". Am I wrong?

Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Reason: General disinterest. I got this because I knew this series was pretty popular, and I figured a bargain copy of one of the more recent titles would be the best way to see what all the fuss was about. Consensus? Well, it reminded me how much I wasn't into (non-Mario) 3D platformers anymore, specifically where the amount of collecting is concerned. I liked the tone and aesthetics, but I got the feeling there were a million things going on I was supposed to "get" from the previous games. This might be another one I'll give a go later, though--I can't even remember where I last was. Actually, I might be able to, but I can't describe it very well: Running around on planetoids, collecting pieces of something for some guy.

...See what I mean?

Dragon Quest VIII
Reason: Like Fallout 3, only I know for a fact that this game will take a long time. I got it because I liked RPGs and the Dragon Quest series (it's a childhood thing, and not a totally logical one), but after dying on the first boss pretty quick, I realized I was about as in the mood to grind out a JRPG on my home TV as I would be to try to do WarioWare challenges over and over in the same setting. I think I'll stick to portable RPGs from now on...

Kingdom Hearts I and II
Reason: For the first one, it's disinterest plus discontent (The sequel, I just haven't played because I'm not playing the first one). I bought this along with a bunch of other acclaimed PS2 games in a short span after getting my PS3, because I'd tried some of the sequel when my friend was over and--let's be honest--it's an irresistable premise, even if you hadn't heard all the good reviews. However, I've come to realize that despite how much I fawn over Japanese art and culture... I can't stand JRPG characters, or at least Squeenix ones, or at least Final Fantasyish ones. Also, as I'm sure you all know, the controls and camera are questionable. Last I recall, I was just starting Wonderland... does it get better? I mean, besides the Little Mermaid section--I've heard about that one.

I think I had a night terror after one of the last times I played it, and my cat once freaked out and attacked my other cat at the sound of Donald Duck quacking in one scene, so maybe it's just cursed.

Mega Man: Anniversary Collection
Reason: Wait, can I count this? Well, in any case, I got the PS2 version so I wouldn't have to worry about a memory card--and as it turns out, the game is notorious for having lag on HD TVs that makes it literally unplayable. Of course, I could turn it down to a lower resolution (in fact, the first time I tried it was on my grandparents' heavenly-looking widescreen Sony TV, as opposed to the fat clunker I have at home, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing), but I suppose playing old Mega Man games has taken a backseat to playing new, non-Mega Man games (which, really, are the best kind of game).

Beyond Good and Evil
Reason: Stuck on this one part where you're sneaking past guards near a conveyor belt--and besides, the gameplay wasn't really doing anything new for me. The same guy who gave me Fallout 3 let me borrow this one, and this is another case of a game I'm sure I would've enjoyed more if I got it sooner to when it came out. Maybe I'll give the HD-make a try instead?

Meanwhile, SoulCalibur IV is also gathering dust, because I'd played SCIII when my friend was over, and I thought this house should own at least one "real" fighting game. Well, what do you know, aside from my brother making a version of me with Voldo's frame, I've gotten practically nothing out of it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Metroid: Other M and Donkey Kong Country Returns are currently gathering dust on my game shelf. I always end up convincing myself that I'll have more fun beating some SMG levels for the umpteenth time than I will with Samus or DK.

Also, I can't be bothered to apprehend the remaining Sages in Pokemon White.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Can't speak for DK, but if you're like most people who have played Other M, you'd do better to just let it collect dust.  There are games that give you cinematic action without the badly-handled melodrama.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
I have way too many good games that I want to finish but just haven't had the time for (Skies of Arcadia, Bowser's Inside Story, Spirit Tracks, all three Mothers, all three Metroid Primes, Ghost Trick, Dragon Quest IX, Golden Sun 2 and 3, DKC Returns, Epic Mickey) and also a lot of games that I know I'll never finish because they annoy the crap out of me (Galaxy 2 being among the most prominent -- box-burning is not the slightest bit fun, especially the second time around, and I'm kinda at a bottleneck where that's pretty much the only star I can get if I want to advance).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
I like how I actually own M&LSS now but still never finished it.

I have way too many games that I've not finished. It doesn't help that a lot of them are really long JRPGs, or that I mostly just play stuff on my PSP nowadays.

I did finish Clannad on PC, though. And I replayed Portal the other day in anticipation of Portal 2, which still hasn't arrived.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
BulletStorm
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - will not be complete until Frank West/Chuck Greene and Mega Man have fought
[PROTOTYPE] - Don't know if I care for it
Dark Cloud - I've had it since maybe three years before I had a PS2 but haven't popped it in yet
Devil May Cry and
Devil May Cry 3 - They're in line
Final Fantasy 10 - IN. LINE.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Resident Evil 4 - I want to play the Resident Evil games in order, sometime soon-ish...
Rogue Galaxy - Man this is a sweet game but man am I stuck!
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - [darn] DS Lite shoulder buttons. More like shoulder brokens
Banjo-Tooie - I am very close
Mega Man 64 (Legends)

NES games worth caring about

StarTropics - The difficulty spike towards the end makes Big Grave look cute. But Mike sure gets some badass moves...
Zelda 1 and
Zelda 2
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »
I never actually finished Banjo-Kazooie. I got really close (I think I did the board game and got Tooty back), and then my file got saved over. I've been playing it a little here and there on Wii64, but I don't know if I'll have the motivation to actually finish it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
I've got a bunch of games I haven't finished, and I decided at one point to put them all in order of how much I wanted to finish them, and play them only in that order. So here's that:

Persona 3
I actually don't own this one, I'm borrowing it from a dorm-mate. I really, really enjoy it, but I can't quite figure out what about it is so fun. The battle system is about the simplest thing ever (turn-based, and you can only choose the main character's actions), but something about it is great. Maybe it's the way the camera moves around during the battles, or how the party members cheer each other on, or how watching people shoot themselves in the head to do magic is just awesome... Whatever. I think I'm about halfway through the game, and I've already put about 40 hours into it. Long game is looooooong.

Tales of everything except Symphonia
Which is to say, the only one I've finished is Symphonia, even though I own all of them. The ones I've played the most, at this point, are Tales of Phantasia and Tales of the Abyss. I sort of really love the Tales games, so finishing all of those won't be a drag. It'll just take a long time.

Okami
I bought it and then played it for about an hour and a half. Pretty fun, and certainly one of the most beautiful games I've seen. My only gripe with it is that apparently the straightest of straight lines is not straight enough.

Super Mario Galaxy
I've owned this game for... two and a half years now? I think I have somewhere around 30 stars. It's been a really long time since I've played it. I think the last level I reached was Beach Bowl Galaxy or some such tomfoolery.

Metroid: Other M
I bought it because I felt like I had to as a Metroid fan. I like it, but it's just not Metroid. Kinda like how Metroid Prime Hunters was also not Metroid, but still a cool enough game. Hopefully the overwhelming pile of meh that is the story won't make me hate it too much.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
I bought this only to find out that I am horribly late to the Star Ocean party and it is, in fact, the most recent Star Ocean game. I guess the word "last" in the title probably should have tipped me off. Oh well. According to a few of my friends who have played the whole series, I'm not missing much by playing this one first. The gameplay seems a lot like a Tales game, but with more freedom of movement in battles, so I think I'll have a lot of fun with it.

Chrono Trigger
Okay, I actually have played all the way through this one on the SNES, but then I went and bought it on the DS and got about halfway through and kinda stopped there.

Final Fantasy III
Played this for about an hour, decided it was just about the most difficult JRPG I've played, ever. I'm kinda "eh" on finishing it, but I'll do it. Eventually.

Final Fantasy IV
Haven't even touched this one, actually.

Sword of Mana
Haven't touched this one either. Although I've played Seiken Densetsu 3 and loved it, so I have high hopes.

Deus Ex
I played the tutorial level of this and couldn't really tell why everyone's so crazy about it. Having only played the tutorial level, though, it's a bit too early to pass judgement on it.

Half-Life
I played all the way through Half-Life 2 and the Episodes, but never finished Half-Life 1. Crazy.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Holy crap awesome game. A whole pile of other games take priority over it though, so it won't get much attention for a while. Or until one of those days when I need something to play for like 15 minutes or something.

Yoshi's Island
I honestly can't remember how far into this game I am. It's been about 6 months since I even turned on my SNES though.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Yes I know I am a horrible person for not having finished this game 10 years ago you can shut up now.
Seriously though, I got bored of it after getting swallowed by a giant fish and having no freaking clue what to do.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Horrible person times two. I'm a lot closer to actually finishing this one, though. Completed three out of the four dungeons, and someday if I'm really, really bored I might start another file and try for 100% completion. Maybe.

Perfect Dark
I think I've played... the first three levels or so? I really only keep it around for deathmatches against my cousin.

Psychonauts
I played it for a few hours, but then my save got deleted and I haven't touched it since. It was really fun though. It kinda reminded me of Banjo-Kazooie, what with its millions of collectible things.

That's... about it. Or at least, that's all there is on the list I have sitting in front of me. There's probably more than just that.

Heh, I am really bad at finishing games. Wow.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 11:45:23 PM »
Okay, so the only games I have that I have not beaten are
Final Fantasy XII, because it's hard for me to get into it, even thoguh I know I will if I just give it a chance.
Halo:ODST and Forza Motorsport, because they came with my X Box, and don't care about them.
Front Mission 4 because it's good, so I want to devote time to it, not one mission at a time.
The Half Life 2 games because my computer can't run them well.

But the real reason I'm here is because I love Mirrors edge, and I don't want anyone to not at least finish. So, because I too got stuck there, just remember to stay to the left, they guy with the huge gun won't hit as often through the girders, jump over the car, and you should be able to get close to disarm him. It probably easier if you aren't going for pascifist, but once you disarm him you can just avoid the second set of mobs.  Also, if you have trouble with the third guy in the start, after you ko the second, turn around, there's a hall way that just goes in a little circle, and he'll usually start to follow, so about the time you come out the other side, he close enough to ko with groin kick and back disarm. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 11:54:49 PM »
Chrono Trigger
Okay, I actually have played all the way through this one on the SNES, but then I went and bought it on the DS and got about halfway through and kinda stopped there.

I've played some of the DS version (almost to the part where I meet Robo). So far I feel the SNES version had a better translation, it was closer to how people actually talk. Except Frog
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print