Print

Author Topic: Another DS Question  (Read 2778 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:22:07 PM »
This one actually is on behalf of my mother, relating to my grandfather.

My grandfather (77 years old) has a DS that he uses for one of those brain games (I think he has two different ones--Brain Age and Big Brain Academy? They ring a bell) and she wants to get him another game. The one in question is Madden (he's a big NFL fan). Now I like Madden on the Game Cube (but only on easy mode...haha) and she is thinking of getting Madden for his DS.

Is anyone familiar with this game? Is it as good as the Game Cube version, and would it be good for a guy who is 77 years old (and has reflexes about as good as mine)?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:55:29 PM »
I heard that the first Madden on DS was pretty bad, but I'm not an American football fan or a fan of many sports games so I can't give you many pointers in that regard, but if he likes Brain Age and Big Brain I suggest he play WarioWare Touched! 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »
I checked IGN aboiut the game. They game it a 6/10 for it's terrible kicking system which, in their words, "The kicking is horrid though, and makes the game nearly unplayable." However, if your Grandfather is looking for a game designed for the casual gamers (like Brain Age and Big Brain Academy), then you might want to check out Nintendo's Touch Generations website. It lists games Nintendo has released under the "Touch Generations" brand of games, which are basically games everyone can play, whether or not they play games or not. Although, make sure to ask your grandfather if he'd actually like any one of those games first before buying one.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:19:04 PM »
I'll have my mom double check. She's the one who came up with the idea anyway. I already bought him a nice pair of pajamas.

So it's the kicking system that's flawed? I know they changed it on the Game Cube with 2007 (it took me about two games to figure it out) so perhaps they're experimenting with kick systems? I actually think the new kick system is more accurate as to how you kick (it reminds me more of placekicking in real life--I used to be the kicker for our peewee football club back in the day before I concentrated more on baseball and basketball).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 09:34:05 AM »
This all gives me an idea...my Grandma said that she's actually interested in playing video games, just not (and this is an actual quote) "not those fruity learning-type games". Although I'm not sure she was talking about Brain Age specifically, I still think I should get her a DS, or something to pass the time.
every

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »
This all gives me an idea...my Grandma said that she's actually interested in playing video games, just not (and this is an actual quote) "not those fruity learning-type games". Although I'm not sure she was talking about Brain Age specifically, I still think I should get her a DS, or something to pass the time.

Something to pass the time, eh? And not a "Learning game"? I guess you could buy her NSMB. It definately passes the time, is a great callback to the original SMB, and it's not that hard; it should be easy enough for your grandma. A perfect first game for those wanting to get into hardcore gaming, but don't want something too hard. Besides, you wouldn't want your grandma to get the impresion that games are too hard or frusterating, would you?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:12 PM »
Well, I think something with a slower pace would be better. I know, it's not like NSMB has a punishing learning curve, but it requires reflexes; I think something simpler, like Tetris DS or that Zork game they haven't made despite my cries, would be more up her alley.
every

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »
If your grandma has the reflexes to play Tetris DS, she can sure as heck handle Mario.

Print