Print

Author Topic: Mario on Crack....er Launcher  (Read 12795 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »

The newest item revealed on Smash Bros DOJO!! (their title, not mine) has Mario welding a Cracker Launcher (again, their title, not mine). No, it's not what you think. I'll let Masahiro Sakurai explain:

"This is a shooting item. Basically, you hold it in your arms. After you grab this item, it’ll rapidly release blast after blast of firecrackers that explode gaudily. You can walk around and jump while holding the launcher. You can also aim the launcher at different angles by tilting the Control Stick up or down."

Some of these items led themselves to the Wii's functionality, yet Sakurai always says you use the Control Stick to tilt the item. I know he said it'd be a traditional control type game, but does anyone think maybe, just maybe, it'll have some motion sensing controls?
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »
It was established that GameCube controllers (and likely Classic Controllers) will be used to play Brawl. However, on the site the icon next to "How To Play" is a sideways Wiimote... did I miss something?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:58:48 PM »
I noticed that too, and, well, I don't know if a sideways Wiimote would be all that well suited for a game like this.  It worked nicely with SPM, but that's a different genre.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
I think that from a business point of view, even if it's 100% obvious, they still can't guarantee everyone who buys Brawl will still own a GCN controller. And name one instance when they--or anyone-- will do it again! My guess: The nunchuck will be used, or Sakurai didn't translate to the best of his ability.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:35 AM »
Mmmmm. Even with the Nunchuk, there simply aren't enough buttons for a game like Brawl. In fact, you'd have more flexibility with the sideways remote by itself... And motion sensitivity isn't really fitting for the fast-paced Super Smash Bros. series... perhaps it will come with a coupon to save on a Classic Controller or something. Sucks to be whoever buys it without a controller with which to play. I'm on the other side of this--if you need to use a remote to play, then I'll have to buy more, and I don't want to until more colors are introduced (I don't really know why, I like it that way), and the price tag isn't very appealing. I have enough GameCube controllers for four players already, despite the fact that one's buttons are sticky and one is third-party, aka broken-like. If and when I fix this one WaveBird, I'll have three of them (that is, WaveBirds), and I plan to buy a fourth one and laugh in the face of cords. In this scenario, Brawl being GC-controller-controlled is... awesome.

...Related to the topic, could I get a cheese launcher too?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 03:20:03 AM »
Here's LD's Awesome Prediction:

The control will be optimized for the Wii Classic Controller.
There will also be a GameCube Controller scheme, very similar to SSBM.
But to prevent little kids on Christmas from being screwed without any controller, there will be a remote/nunchuck scheme, possibly using some motion to make up for lost button access (dodges?). This scheme will be undesirable, but functional.

You heard it here first!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 08:40:27 AM »
It's not the Classic Controller when you use it for a new game (and you still have to plug the remote into the back of it).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
The cracker launcher should launch crackers. Not firecrackers. That's crazy. What's next, a Bowling Ball Gun that fires monkeys?
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
The name "Classic Controller" doesn't have to mean it's for playing classic games, but that it's the classic video game controller design.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Nintendo could call it something else for the purposes of SSBB. However, I doubt that will happen.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 04:53:02 PM »
This looks like something BirdPerson would dig up, but somebody has already made an artist's interpretation of the cracker launcher..

Here
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Ha, ha. Nice.
...Saltines are, like, the worst kind of cracker you can get though. I'd've put a Ritz cracker in a Cracker Launcher Photoshop...
Edit: Like this.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:59:42 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Lol. Yea, the Ritz crackers fit the Launcher more than the Saltines. Nice!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »
You should put some Cheez Whiz on that Ritz cracker.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
I'd go for some meat and cheese.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »
AGH LAUNCH A CAPTAIN'S WAFER

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »
You know what this reminds me of? The fireworks item in Kirby Air Ride. It pretty much did the same thing. But this is HAL we're talking about so it's not a huge surprise.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 05:56:33 AM »
Here's LD's Awesome Prediction:

The control will be optimized for the Wii Classic Controller.
There will also be a GameCube Controller scheme, very similar to SSBM.
But to prevent little kids on Christmas from being screwed without any controller, there will be a remote/nunchuck scheme, possibly using some motion to make up for lost button access (dodges?). This scheme will be undesirable, but functional.

You heard it here first!

...... http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various01.html

Wow.....LD...was...right?
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »
haha, this is great news for me, but it was kind of expected. Well, now I don't have to spend over $100.00 on more Wii remotes.
I'm a horrible person.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 01:22:58 PM »
Awesome! playing with the GCN controler will send me back to '01 again. Which way do you guys think you will use the most? I'm a bit concerned on how to play Brawl with the full Wii remote set. Maybe they should include a mode with the nunchuck alone :D
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
GCN controller most of the time.  Although I'll try the sideways and nunchuck on lesser occasions when I feel experimental. (hah!  Firefox doesn't know 'nunchuck')  I don't have the classic controller attachment.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
^^^^ You heard it there first!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
'Scuse me ma'am, it's called the Nunchuk. Firefox's spell check is mostly sufficient, and could do some people some gooooooooooooooood.
Also, sweet sweetness! Four control schemes. I'll stick with GameCube controllers, myself.
Now, uh, LD... go tell them to... to include an alternate costume for Luigi... a Mr. L costume.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:20:07 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »
Blame the forum's spell check as well.  I have a feeling it doesn't know nunchuk either.
an alternate costume for Luigi... a Mr. L costume.
Oh heck yes!  And a doctor getup for Mario, and the classic Yellow shirt and purple overalls for Wario.

On a separate note, I'd LOVE to go to an anime convention dressed up as Mr. L
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
It's spelled "nunchuk" but Firefox doesn't know that either.
Edit: Oh, BP covered this.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:55 AM »
Oh heck yes!  And a doctor getup for Mario, and the classic Yellow shirt and purple overalls for Wario.
The former because we don't need a separate character for Dr. Mario (though I have an excellent snapshot of Dr. Mario in his black outfit jumping off the Monotoli Building in Fourside [Dr. Mar-emo]) and an alternate costume with stylized moves but the same statistics would be far more efficient. The latter because people like Dark_shark or what's he called need to shut up about Wario's casual outfit. I personally think that Pichu could become an alternate costume for Pikachu the same way Dr. Mario should for Mario (same stats) but that's less logical. It's natural that Pichu would be weaker and harder to hit, but if he had to have identical statistics with Pikachu that might not work out.
Still rooting for WW Link to replace OoT Young Link since OoT Link was replaced by TP Link. This way would be better than the Link and Young Link characters being clones in Melee--their moves could be very different this way: TP Link has a Spinner, yeah, but has he got a Deku Leaf?
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 08:42:10 AM »
The problem with Pichu being a skin for Pikachu is the fact that his body is differently shaped. I beleive they could find a way to de-clone him if they got the chance.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
Maybe give Pickachu new moves and the old ones to Pichu? Picka has had to learn a few new abilities since 2001...  Perhaps vice versa?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »
I was thinking they'd do that for Fox and Falco myself.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
...Saltines are, like, the worst kind of cracker you can get though. I'd've put a Ritz cracker in a Cracker Launcher Photoshop...
Ew. No. Totally backwards. Ritz are disgusting :(

I can't imagine it being functional on a Classic Controller.. GameCube just seems to fit better.

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 03:17:42 AM »
Why not? Classic has all the stuff a Cube does, in generally the same area. Classic has a few more buttons, actually (- and ZL).

Lack of rumble, though. There's a problem.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
Well, It's a classic controler, ment to feel like the old NES and SNES, which didn't have rumble.

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 10:08:39 AM »
I know it has the same stuff as GameCube. I guess I would have to see a Classic Controller and hold one, but it looks really... flimsy from the pictures I've seen. Not available to take heavy SSBB mashings.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »
I think they meant "Classic" as in "pre-Wii".
I mean it has almost everything say a PS2 controller has.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Even dual shock? O_O
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
The cracker launcher looks more like a Metroid item.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:35 AM »
Uh, two control sticks, yes?
It doesn't have rumble, but that's about the only thing DualShock 2 has that the Classic Controller doesn't. I guess it doesn't have buttons under the analog sticks either, but that's it.
That was a joke.

Print