Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto: Future Mario Games May Use Balance Board  (Read 15833 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »

Last Week, Nintendo invited a few journalists to a two-hour roundtable with Shigeru Miyamoto. The journalists asked him a variety of questions, ranging from the future of Nintendo to the future uses for the Wii Balance Board. One of the questions ventured into the possibility of Mario titles using the Wii Balance Board. Miyamoto said that he might make a Mario game that would indeed use the board, but he would never make it a requirement. He also stated that the team has been messing with the idea to use the Board on older titles to find "fun things we can do with them."

Check out the rest of the roundtable below!

Link: gamedaily.com
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
I can see them making a Wario ware game out of this.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
I already spend 9-10+ hours on my feet, so I hope that if they use this, it's an optional thing (much like using a GC controller in some Wii titles).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »
It better be optional. Cuz I shouldn't have to use anything other than my thumbs and index fingers to play a video game. If I want exercise, I'll go outside and run.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
Dude this is awesome, unless it becomes Power Glove 2.0.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
One wonders at the future backward compatibility of games made for one-shot accessories.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
Yes, I heard about this... I sense Donkey Konga syndrome coming on...

Well, there was actually this one peripheral in the NEs era that was like a giant + Pad that you stood on and tilted in the direction you wanted to move. Obviously, it sucked.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
Yeah but that wasn't game-specific, was it?
As for bongos, I do love Jungle Beat.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »
A sorely underrated game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »
I can see them making a Wario ware game out of this.
Yes!

The perfect solution to keeping the WarioWare tradition of never using the same control input method alive!

-LD!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »

Awesome game indeed.
Ditto used Machop!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
Yeah, if you can get past the fact that it's a huge middle finger cast in the direction of Rare and their work on whatever the DK series was before it came out.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
As always, the Genius Miyamoto never ceases to amaze me. Nintendo has invented a unique peripheral that Sony and Microsoft will (eventually) blatantly copy, much to our dismay. But Nintendo thought of it first!

This is why I love Nintendo. They always think of something fun to play before the competitors copy them...

Now Microsoft is ALLEGEDLY making a Wii-style remote for the 360. Unlike the Wii, this remote is not essential for playing the 360. Therefore it will be used for niche games much like the EyToy on PS2.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »
*waits for Mario Maniac to make a thread showing that his hivemind opinions have flip-flopped again*

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
But Nintendo thought of it first!
Nintendo rarely thinks of these things first (though they may think of them independently).  What they are able to do well is bring their ideas to a mass market.

Print