Print

Author Topic: "Retailers are 'Parasites and Thieves'"  (Read 18220 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
Link

While GameStop definitely takes sales away from new games by pushing used copies, saying the publishers should get a cut of used sales is just stupid and greedy. There's no other industry where things work that way - how exactly are games any different?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:11:21 AM »
If they're used, then by definition, the publishers have already gotten their cut.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
USED GAEMS ARE EVAAALLLLLLL
every

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
I only buy used if there are no new copies of the game in question. Paying $39.99 for a pre-owned copy of Dragon Quest V which didn't even include the manual was the last straw.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
As a person who may potentially be working as a game developer, I fully support that. Plus Gamestop is stupid, the less money they get the better.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
If anything, the people game retailers steal from are the ones who are selling back the games, not the publishers. Retail shops exist for the singular purpose of making money. And they do that by buying back stuff from people for 7% of what they sell it for.
Also I don't think games should as a rule cost as much as they do.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »
As a person who may potentially be working as a game developer
All the more reason to be against it. I would support his idea if it meant the developers would be getting more money, not the publishers.

And GameStop provides a valuable service. I have no problem with, for example, paying them five dollars for a PS2 game that came out back in 2004, since the game company definitely isn't making money on it at this point, and I get the guarantee of being able to return it if it doesn't work or if I don't like it. I don't trade stuff in, though, mainly because I don't get rid of games nowadays.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
Oh, oops. I thought we were talking about developers. Yeah, publishers suck.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:33:13 PM »
What do publishers do, anyway?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »
PUBLISHARS ARE EEEEEEVVVVAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

every

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
Publishers, at least one part of it, provide quality control and funding to developers. Things that are important. Also, as far as things go, the game industry is much less evil than music/movie
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
Publishers are still jerks though, even Nintendo, who won't publish in America what they do in Japan (Fragile and Xenoblade come to mind) although some are getting super awesome now (XSeed).
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
This is how I understand it:

Developers are the ones who actually make the game, but they don't want (or don't know how) to do all the paperwork and other types of business that don't really deal with creating the game, so they pay a separate company to take care of all that. I guess publishers are like the middlemen.

Often publishers will fight with developers because publishers try to influence the game because they're trying to market it to a wide range of people, and developers just want to make the game they have in mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:45:14 PM by bobman37 »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:07 AM »
And then you have developers who just sell their games online (only works for PC unless it's a dev willing to deal with the red tape involved with the console-based download services that aren't XBLIG, and even then they usually don't self-publish), as well as publishers who just don't give a crap about who they're marketing to, like Atlus USA and Aksys. They are the cool ones.

Print